Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.07.08 @ 02:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An Open Letter from David Lee Roth
    October 2, 1996
    To Whom This May Interest:
    You've probably heard rumors that Van Halen and I will not be consummating our highly publicized reunion. And since neither Edward, Alex, nor Michael have corroborated or denied the gossip, I would like to go on record with the following: Eddie did it.
    It's no secret, nor am I ashamed of my unabashed rapture at the prospect of resurrecting the original Van Halen. A couple of songs was all I knew for sure when Edward and I got together three months ago to write them. At that time, the band tip-toed around me sprinkling sentiments like, this isn't a sure thing, Dave; this doesn't mean anything long term, Dave; we're still auditioning other singers, Dave. I was cool. I was happy. I was in the moment.
    The next thing I knew, the four of us are doing a surprise walk-on at the MTV Awards. I told Edward at that time that I didn't think it was a good idea for the band to go to New York half-cocked; and that I didn't want to imply by our presence that we were back if in fact it was just a quickie for old time's sake.
    Well ain't hind sight always 20/20...Had I asked for something in writing, this wouldn't have happened. Had I acknowledged the occasional icy grip in my stomach, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But I didn't. Like I said--rapture. And, I love these guys. Do I trust them? That question never entered my mind.
    Then, a series of events last week led me to discover at about the same time the press did, that the band, along with their manager, had already hired another lead singer, possibly as long as three months ago. I wonder how he felt the night of the MTV Awards. It certainly explains why on that night Edward looked as uncomfortable as a man who just signed a deal with The Devil. I can't think of a reason Edward would lie to me about being considered for the lead singer when he had already hired someone, and then let me appear on MTV under the impression that there was great likelihood that Van Halen and I were reuniting. As I said, I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't want to do the MTV gig as a band unless we were in fact, a band.
    And so I apologize to my fans and my supporters, and to MTV. I was an unwitting participant in this deception. It sickens me that the reunion as seen on MTV was nothing more than a publicity stunt. If I am guilty of anything, I'm guilty of denial. I wanted to believe it just as much as anyone else. Those who know me know that trickery was never my style.
    Van Halen without the original 4 is just not Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know Eddie and AL did some kind of response on MTV. Did they do their own open letter?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NEVER MIND: I FOUND THEIR RESPONSE:

Van Halen Responds to David Lee Roth's Open Letter
    October 3, 1996
    We parted company with David Lee Roth 11 years ago for many reasons. In his open letter of October 2nd, we were reminded of some of them.

The intention all along was to do two new songs with Dave for the Best Of Volume 1 package. He was never lead to believe anything but that.

When the four of us were asked by MTV and Warner Bros. to present an award at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards, the four of us agreed. Dave was never an unwitting participant. We appeared in public just as we do before releasing any other Van Hal en record.

For the last two weeks we have been working with someone who we hope will be part of the future of Van Halen, although no final decision can be announced until contractual considerations have been resolved.

Van Halen will go forward and create the best possible music that we can.

Edward, Alex, Michael

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not saying this just to be 'anti-Roth' but I seriously doubt his contention that he was misled by Ed, Al, and Mike with regard to a reunion. I believe the intent was to reunite with Roth and for whatever reason (probably Roth's behavior at the award show on top of his other distasteful personality traits) the reunion was scratched. I have no doubt that the guys were hedging their bets by interviewing other singers (Cherone) but I can't see them trotting out on that stage without at least the original intent to reunite with Roth. If they did do that, shame on them for exciting their fans at the possibility of something that they knew full well would never come to pass. Despite things said to the contrary about Ed and Al and how they treat their fans, I can't believe they went into the MTV thing with anything other than the best intentions.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.05.07 @ 03:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And in other up to the minute news......

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

THIS JUST IN!!
    The Beatles will be on Ed Sullivan!!!!!!!
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roth would of made a great car salesmen.

I truly believe to this day, Roth lied to us fans. Eddie and Al had never displayed anything resembling dishonest behavior from 1975-1996, why would they suddenly become the criminals after 21 years.

I don't buy it, Roth is full of shit...although the music he made was sent from up above.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TPStang:
    And in other up to the minute news......
    It was never posted as up to the minute news. I was just posting something old that may be of interest to someone who:
    1. wasn't a fan back then and wants to know what happened.

2. is interested in what happened in 96, but hadn't seen the open letters.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

This last sentence of Dave's letter caught my attention:

Those who know me know that trickery was never my style.
    Wouldn't his whole act in the recent interviews and his stage performance be considered trickery to a certain degree...? An act is an act. An illusion. In simple terms an illusion is trickery. Just a thought... not a bash...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!
    Last Online

06.09.16 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zahzoo:
    This last sentence of Dave's letter caught my attention:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Those who know me know that trickery was never my style.
    Wouldn't his whole act in the recent interviews and his stage performance be considered trickery to a certain degree...? An act is an act. An illusion. In simple terms an illusion is trickery. Just a thought... not a bash...</font>[/QUOTE]"I don't know what goes on in other people's realities." [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's not too mysterious what happened. The 4 guys were taking "baby steps" toward a possible reunion - and knowing Dave for so many years - Ed, Al, and Mike also had a backup plan. Then, Roth 'blew' it for himself by snorting half of Columbia at the MTV show and making an ass out of himself. He leaped while the other three were still taking baby steps. He also mouthed off to Eddie. Hello backup plan...
    Staying Frosty

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Dave told them that he did not want to do the MTV awards if they were not fully reunited.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 79th and Sunset:
    Dave told them that he did not want to do the MTV awards if they were not fully reunited.
    Yet he did it anyways. He could have backed out.
    Staying Frosty

Top Of The World
    Last Online

05.31.12 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a Roth fan, but I just don't buy Dave's account of the whole MTV awards.

Dave's thinking was more likely: "Once we are all out in public together, expectations will be so high that Ed will have take me back or face a huge back-lash "

I have no idea what Ed's thinking was, I think he was just doing what his manager wanted. His manager probably felt: "any publicity was good publicity, and we'll let the spin doctors set the spin in the after-math "

Dave was no victim. His thinking was probably right, but Ed still went along with a third singer for reasons I can't explain.
    "The last singer was a singer, I am THE singer" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by 79th and Sunset:
    You mean Dave SAID he told them that. Dave SAID a lot of stuff, some true, some maybe not. So have the brothers.

BTW, VH most certainly DID hire a singer BEFORE the MTV awards, and his name was not Gary Cherone.
    It was Mitch Malloy. He owned up to it a year or two ago. He also mentioned that once he saw Dave and VH on TV, he didn't think the fans would accept anyone at that point besides Dave, so he called and backed out. THEN they got Gary.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V