Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been trying to think how to approach this for quite some time, and I believe I've come to the most logical solution any Van Halen fan could. Here is the deal...

Growing up on "Dave era" Van Halen was magical. Remember what it was like hearing on your local radio station that a new Van Halen record was about to be released? It was an event. It was like seeing all those presents under the Christmas tree and having to wait to open them until everyone was awake and "ready".

My point is simply this, (and I know I posted a topic not too long ago indicating that Dave was the only option, but I've been doing A LOT of thinking... so please don't flame me too badly...)
    It happened two nights ago when I heard "Summer Nights" on Rock 101.1 based out of Manchester, NH. There is only one man who will be able to save Van Halen. That man's name is Sammy Hagar. And I believe even the "Rothtards" will agree with me on a realistic level. The more I look at Dave TODAY versus what he was even TEN years ago, there is no comparison. And that's being kind.... Sammy has shown consistent viability as a vocalist, guitar player, writer and performer. And I don't want to hear any shit about, "He's fat!" or "He should have another doughnut!"
    Let me give you a little insight my friend; when you get older than you are now, you aren't going to look like you did when they snapped that picture for the senior yearbook.

Dave, I love you for what you did for Van Halen but to be totally honest, your time has past. You chose to leave, on your own accord, the greatest gig you ever had. It's time you realize this.

With everything I have, I honestly hope that Sammy will return to the ranks. After many days of reflection and retrospect, it really is the best decision for not only the band but for the legions of fans who await for the sleeping giant that is the mighty Van Halen to return to form.

Peace!

-B
    "If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it will melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1982.

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

I've seen Dave twice in the last 3 years and he's still got it. I don't know what show you were at, but come back from the dark side. Use the force.
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by speedtruckermf:
    I've seen Dave twice in the last 3 years and he's still got it. I don't know what show you were at, but come back from the dark side. Use the force.
    I saw Dave twice as well and he was great, but do you think if he joins VH again that he could even make it through ONE world tour?

I'm not so sure....
    "If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it will melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1982.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Dave: Fair Warning Sam: 5150
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's not even a question of whether or not Dave's voice could hold for a tour. The fact of the matter is Dave wants to be Dave. You could not fit Dave and Ed's egos into a stadium. It seems as though Dave, Sam, and Ed would rather bitch about the past than work in the future.
    It all boils down to and old musician's joke.

Q: How many lead singers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. The singer just holds the light bulb and waits for the world to revolve around him.

and just for shits & giggles-

Q: What did the singer do when he locked the keys in the van?

A: Called 911 to come and get the drummer out.
    Man, all I can do is make music and put it out, and if people like it, they like it, and if they don't, they will sooner or later.- EVH

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I kinda wonder if people become so attached to the memory of something that it can overtake reality at times. I've never seen David Lee Roth live. I have seen Hagar a few times, Once with VH and on a couple solo tours and he kicked ass. I've heard that Roth prefers show over musicianship, which is probably why alot of people find him to be hard to get along with because he never shuts off the showmanship. I'm just wondering is Dave still as kickass as he was? or are the Roth fans so hardcore that they want him to still be good.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me make sure that I am crystal clear on this issue...

I love Dave, he will always be the man, BUT we all talk about the FUTURE of Van Halen. I'll say it again because it bears repeating, THE FUTURE!

Does anyone here really believe that Dave is the "long term" future of this band?

I, for one, do not.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Dave: Fair Warning Sam: 5150
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Couldn't agree with you more. But bieng that Dave and Sam are admittedly competitive, maybe the thought of Dave bieng back, even just for one or two shows, would light a fire under Sammy's ass to come back and do an album or two just to one-up him. I dont think that will ever happen though. I think our best shot at any reunion will be next year when they get into the Hall of Fame, and we all know they will get in the first year. Only question is will the induction include Sammy on will they treat both eras as seperate bands?
    Man, all I can do is make music and put it out, and if people like it, they like it, and if they don't, they will sooner or later.- EVH

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VanHalen2079:
    I've heard that Roth prefers show over musicianship, which is probably why alot of people find him to be hard to get along with because he never shuts off the showmanship.
    Very Well Put!!!

That is possible these most important thing said on this Message Board in my years of coming here!

Either you like the "show" or you don't!

Some liked it in the 80's, but find it hard to swallow now as grown adults. These people are Van Halen fans.

Some people have never "gotten" Dave. These people are Sammy Era Fans.

Some people loved Dave then, now and for years to come. As they hop in their Camaros and pop the T-Tops, they say to themselves, while looking in their rear view mirror, "don't be squirting water on me.......I am gonna fuck your girlfriend." They then slowly take a swig of their Ice Cold Bud and roar down the street, rushing to catch that nights Iron Maiden show.

Each era attracts a differnt type of person.

OK, I'm done.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by jimmy:
    Originally posted by VanHalen2079:
    [qb] I've heard that Roth prefers show over musicianship, which is probably why alot of people find him to be hard to get along with because he never shuts off the showmanship.
    Very Well Put!!!

That is possibly these most important thing said on this Message Board in my years of coming here!

Either you like the "show" or you don't!

Some liked it in the 80's, but find it hard to swallow now as grown adults. These people are Van Halen fans.

Some people have never "gotten" Dave. These people are Sammy Era Fans.

Some people loved Dave then, now and for years to come. As they hop in their Camaros and pop the T-Tops, they say to themselves, while looking in their rear view mirror, "don't be squirting water on me.......I am gonna fuck your girlfriend." They then slowly take a swig of their Ice Cold Bud and roar down the street, rushing to catch that nights Iron Maiden show.

Each era attracts a differnt type of person.

OK, I'm done.

[ March 06, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: jimmy ]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Mr. Shikadance:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by speedtruckermf:
    I saw Dave twice as well and he was great, but do you think if he joins VH again that he could even make it through ONE world tour?

I'm not so sure....
    </font>[/QUOTE]I dont know if Dave could do as many shows as he once did. Either way, I know Ed and his brother couldnt. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Could they still rock ? Hell yeah !!

But could they play at the pace they did in 81, hell no !! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Bring back Van Halen !!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Mr. Shikadance:
    There is only one man who will be able to save Van Halen. That man's name is Sammy Hagar. And I believe even the "Rothtards" will agree with me on a realistic level.
    Absolutely no way my new friend. I'm going to step on many of the respected toes with this one, but you call me Captain Rothbot here. The only person that Can save Van Halen is Edward Van Halen himself PERIOD. I would love to see the original lineup, but Ed has to conquer his own demons first. Mr. Sammy Hagar is not the answer my friend. I'm not saying that The Diamond One is, but as for VH that is the only acceptable answer for enormous worldwide success. A VH reunion with Mr. Sammy Hagar would be the greatest letdown in Rock and Roll history IMHO.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a hard time believing alot of you are really "Van Halen" fans. I read these forums daily,I usually keep to myself about stuff and don't say much,but god,it's always Dave vs Sam.

I have my opinions about each,and I'm prolly one of the only crazy people that really like III,and hated to see Gary go. But I really could care less who the singer is,I just wanna hear something,I like VH....Sam,Dave,Gary,Mary Poppins,I don't care. I don't like VH for the singer,just the music. Put out an instrumental,I'll buy it without hesitation. Call it quits now and I'd say,cool,they gave us a hell of a lot of good tunes to listen to.
    Guitar player,extrordinaire(or at least I like to think)<br /><br />"....man,this is Van Halen,and i'm the singer." Sammy-1987<br /><br /><a href="http://www.guitartabs.cc/" target="_blank">www.guitartabs.cc/</a>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Waring
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mr. Shikadance....(nice name by the way, Ace) I agree and disagree with you. I think that Dave was the best and I still think that he can be. I remember a time when the first notes of a VH tune on the radio would make your arm hairs stand up. I think they could do that again....the only group that is capable of doing such a thing. I don't think that Sam can do......you tell me, am I holdin' on too tight? I don't know, but despite all the criticism that Dave got on the Sam and Dave tour, he's still friggin got it. I don't care if he does think it's still 1982.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 630 Times in 294 Posts

I'm a fan of all era's. I still wish Gary was in the band. I think that album they had pretty much done would have been great based on some things we have heard about it. I was reading an issue of the Inside magazine last night. The one where they were working on the album and describing some of the songs on it. I got really bumed because we never got a chance to hear them. Unless Tribe Of Judah breaks up (which I don't really want either because they are great live band) it doesn't look like Gary's coming back but
    I think if VH does release another album it shgould be with Sam. I saw the Sam and Dave tour last summer. I enjoyed both sets but when I saw Dave's set it was like I was watching a cover band and I would have enjoyed it just the same if I saw a local cover band play VH tunes. It was fun because I knew all the songs because they were my favorite bands songs. Hopes that makes sense. Kind of hard to explain. I don't think Dave has enough originality left to put out a good new record. So if they can get it together with Sam for 1 more good run and go out the right way. It would be awesome.
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I'm all up for any kinda reunion from Van Halen. I think if pushed Dave could get back into the 1984 era musically. Dave has a creative side he just doesn't use it. Where as Sammy uses it a little too much.