Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

This thread is not supposed to be a debate over who was the better singer/songwriter for Van Halen, its purpose is to point out how us as Van Halen fans are never satisfied.

When Sammy was in the band alot of people bashed him for "cheese" and that he wouldn't sing much Dave era stuff except for the usual PANAMA, ATBL, & JUMP.
    He was let go and then after the brief attempt with Dave, Gary came in and was more than willing to sing the songs we hadn't heard in close to 15 years. But we then bashed him for acting "gay" on stage. When he did a very credible job on most if not all the classic songs he did. And strangley enough he did better on the Dave stuff than he did the Sammy material.
    Dave has done nothing but play 99% VH material during his past couple of tours and has gotten decent reviews over-all.
    But Dave has also been known to "butcher/forget" lyrics live as well.

So let me ask this question:
    Will we as Van Halen fans ever be truly satisfied with anything they do?
    Would you rather see a singer that can & will sing ALL eras of the band's storied history as well as make new songs that we like?

We can bash one singer and say he acts "gay" on stage, but another singer can shake his ass into the camera and do things to a giant microphone and be "cool", and another singer can check down between his legs to see if its hot down there.

I hope that VH blazes on making new music and at this point I really don't care who is singing. Just give me the Van Halen MUSIC and I will be a happy man.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post! Tell me what WASN'T gay about a man wearing spandex and mascara?
    I think the problem with Gary was that people DIDN'T like the new stuff. (I did) I just think there are people out there who want DLR with VH no matter what. IMO It's more about reliving the feelings that the music brought then the actual music itself. Dave left VH because he got on his high horse, Again, IMO VH has outgrown him. I truely believe that VH screwed Sammy around. Shame on them! Now it's a CARMA! What comes around goes around! I would love some new VH music and I was happy with Gary but to get back on top...BRING BACK SAMMY!

[ July 17, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Fabulous Shadow aka VHL ]
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow aka VHL:
    Great post! Tell me what WASN'T gay about a man wearing spandex and mascara?
    I think the problem with Gary was that people [img] DIDN'T [/img]like the new stuff. (I did) I just think there are people out there who want DLR with VH no matter what. IMO It's more about reliving the feelings that the music brought then the actual music itself. Dave left VH because he got on his high horse, Again, IMO VH has outgrown him. I truely believe that VH screwed Sammy around. Shame on them! Now it's a CARMA! What comes around goes around! I would love some new VH music and I was happy with Gary but to get back on top...BRING BACK SAMMY!
    You said better than me. The bros are dicks for screwing sammy. End of story.
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Balance, 1984, VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, I'll Wait
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 56 Times in 18 Posts

I totally agree with what Fabulous Shadow said. However, never having seen Dave and VH live (I've seen the tapes and such), I feel like I've been robbed of some of the aura that Van Halen has created over the years. I've only experienced VH live with Sam and Gary, so sometimes its really hard for me to comprehend what I missed with Dave in the band. Dave does some pretty strange stuff on stage, but he's still got that alpha-male mentality. Gary, who I thought did a great job doing all of VH's material, doesn't have that rockstar presence to him that Dave does and neither did Sammy (even though they were both better singers). I think maybe that's why people weren't receptive to Gary on stage. I'm not anti-cheese, but to me Gary just didn't fit in with Van Halen's kick-ass type personality like Dave and Sam did. Personally, I don't really care who sings for Van Halen. I just want to hear Eddie kick ass again. However, part of me wishes they could re-unite with Dave just so I could have the full VH live experience that most of the other fans have. Dave might be the popular choice, but Sammy might be the better choice for VH right now. I think to some extent VH did outgrow Dave, but there's still plenty of magic left with either Sam or Dave. At least that's the way I feel about it...
    "And now for the benediction..."
    - DLR (Blossom 5/29/02)

"It's a great day for Hockey."
    - "Badger" Bob Johnson

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Nice post Whohalen. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] You made several excellent points. Fortunately, the first concert that I ever saw was 1984 with Dave. I have stated before that I went to see Eddie because I was way into playing guitar. My first album was Diver Down that I purchased when it first came out, and I thought that Dave was such a goon. When I watched him doing interviews on MTV way back then, I always thought "What is wrong with this guy?". Then I saw them live and it changed everything, Dave mesmorized the whole place. That was then. I am still a major Davehead, but I do have to agree I think the only possible Roth reunion would/could only last as a grand finally for the band. I don't think the egos could sustain each other at this point in time.
    As for Sammy, that was a great era as well and alot of great music came out of it. But Sam is getting up there in age and I don't think that he is truly willing to be Ed an Al's puppet singer for much more than a tour. So, that leaves how does Van Halen continue? Another singer? I just don't know at this point. It seems that no matter what they do it will not please the fans. And, ultimately that is Eddie's fault for keeping quiet for so long. We all would just like to something. A box set with all of the Roth leftover recordings, the failed 2000 recordings, The unreleased Sam stuff, and the second Gary album. If I could just hear something new I don't care!
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

To answer Eddymon's original question... No the fans as a whole will NEVER be totally satisfied with any subsequent Van Halen release no matter who sings.

Each person's preference in era will jade their opinion of any other. Objectivity doesn't exactly run amuck when it comes to some people's musical opinions... fact of life... especially in the realm of Van Halen.

Best thing that can happen in my personal opinion is to get singer number 4 and crank out some kick ass tunes. Include in the tour no more than 2-3 tunes from each era or less and focus the whole deal on the new stuff. In simple terms... move on.

Out of respect tip your hat to the past but acknowledge it for just that... history. Then move on...

Life goes on... let the music go on too... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150,Balance,VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake,Best Of Both Worlds (live)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post...Let me add my two cents

Whether it be with Dave or Sammy,Van Halen has worked best when everyone had input into the music.When Gary came in to do the VH3 album he has said in several interviews that he had no say in the music.

Eddie Van Halen is probably the greatest living guitarist but I feel the VH is definetly the sum of all the parts is more than the individual parts.

Basically I think that in order for VH to continue w/out Sam or Dave they would need to bring in some with a similar track record that Eddie has enough respect for to allow them to be involved in the musical end.

No disrespect to Gary,because Extreme has some great material and they are still one of my favorite bands.But he doesn't have the track record Sammy and Dave both have.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

These are all great posts. It is so nice to get on here and truly talk about ALL eras of Van Halen and not have it be a pissing contest over the same two apples vs. oranges singer debate. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, but I'll never be satisfied with "Van Halen" unless they actually bring back the band that actually made the name famous. I fell in love with the original Van Halen when I was a kid, and to this day still think they're one of the greatest bands in history. I will not be satisfied with some lame-ass ballad-singing "blues" singer, singing crap over some incredible guitar work. I won't be satisfied with a has-been hippy moron (Sammy) who's proven that his attitude is a lot worse than anyone's in the last few weeks with his wonderful press quotes about the end of Van Halen. I will not be satisfied with a homo-sounding ballet dancer who butchers classic Van Halen and can't even get the mediocre Mach II stuff right.

Hey, this is just my opinion. Everyone has a right to one, and this is not an invite for Sammy fans (or Gary fans, if there are any) to bash me. You have a right to your preferences, I have a right to mine. But it is my opionion that the original Van Halen felt like a kettle full of boiling water, always about to burst. The second and third eras were much safer, and much more boring. The original band was so exciting, so fresh, so unique. They were not made up of the typical AOR-material the band spewed out in their later career.

So, if the band is incapable of giving me another taste of that incredible, original band (c'mon, people, it's just music), that's their right. They don't owe me anything. I don't owe them anything. And I could also give a fuck what's going on in their personal lives. They don't care what's going on in my personal life. Nor should they. It's all music. And if they don't make music I like, they mean nothing to me.

Sorry, I guess I'm just bitter. But I've hoped for too much from this band. And they've done little else but disappoint me for almost 20 years. And it's gotten to the point that to me they're as dead as The Beatles or Elvis are now.

[ July 17, 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Rikk ]
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they have done lil more than dissapoint you for the last 20 years why are you here? Dave was great with them in the beginning but alot has changed since then. He's lost his looks, he's lost his voice, from what I saw, he's lost his WIT and his stage personna. It will never be the same! A reunion concert would be awesome but as far as them being a BAND again...(band being DLR EVH AVH and MA) I think it'd be a huge mistake. BRING BACK SAMMY! (for the record I'm a huge VH fan, mostly of the DLR era, but after seeing this tour, I think he's washed up)

[ July 17, 2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Fabulous Shadow aka VHL ]
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Apples vs. Oranges again! Another great thread shot to hell.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ou812max:
    Obviously, you missed the point of my post. Have a nice day.

[ July 17, 2002, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Rikk ]
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow aka VHL:
    If they have done lil more than dissapoint you for the last 20 years why are you here? Dave was great with them in the beginning but alot has changed since then. He's lost his looks, he's lost his voice, from what I saw, he's lost his WIT and his stage personna. It will never be the same! A reunion concert would be awesome but as far as them being a BAND again...(band being DLR EVH AVH and MA) I think it'd be a huge mistake. BRING BACK SAMMY! (for the record I'm a huge VH fan, mostly of the DLR era, but after seeing this tour, I think he's washed up)
    Dude, do you like ice cream? Let's say Vanilla ice cream is the greatest thing in the world to you, but they stop selling it one year. You have to settle for the new chocolate ice cream they're selling instead. "It's not bad," you say, but deep down, you know it's not the same as the vanilla you love so much. What are you? You're disappointed. You're still buying ice cream; you're buying the chocolate because although it's not great, it reminds a little you of the ice cream you used to like. Then one year you hear that they're bringing vanilla back. You're so excited! But it turns out to be complete bullshit. Then you hear they're getting rid of ice cream altogether. They no longer sell it in your stores, but they never tell you if ice cream at all will ever be back.

Shit yes, I'm disappointed.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great analogy Rikk. Dead on. Bring back the Ice Cream Man.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Rikk:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ou812max:
    Obviously, you missed the point of my post. Have a nice day.</font>[/QUOTE]I was referring to Fabulous Shadow not your post. I should have quoted. Sorry man. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!