Register
    Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

No matter what the future holds for Van Halen and whomever becomes their next singer I would strongly recomend the following...

Management: Get whoever is managing Bon Jovi, Aerosmith or even Doc McGhee. They need someone to push them on a grand scale (ala the KISS Reunion Tour) everything that they do next needs to be done huge, over the top and in everyone's face.

Marketing: Again everything must be done on the grandest scale possible. Billboards! Super Bowl! You name they need to put Van Halen in our faces so the world cannot ignore their return!

Production: Please do not make the same mistakes as in the past. No Mike Posts please. If it were up to me, I would choose Luke Ebbin (Bon Jovi's "Crush" and "Bounce" CD's) he has mamanged to maintain the Bon Jovi sound while giving their music a freshness that has brought in a whole new generation of fans.

Making sure these three key elements are carefully taken care of will return our boys to prominence in the world of rock and roll, and icon staus!!!
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good post, atomicpunk5150. On the production issue I would say that they need to deside whether or not they are going to try to compete in the "top 40" area. For example Kiss can back with a huge tour but the "reunion" album didn't do anything sales wise. Hopefully this is not the fate that will fall to Van Halen. I think a production like "Balance" would be good for today's rock market. To bad that Bruce F (can't think of how to spell his last name) passed away.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, Ross. Production is the key. I remember being really excited for the Psycho Circus CD thinking it would be better than their Revenge CD and it was prety bad in terms of the classic KISS line-up.

It makes me wonder if Van Halen III hadn't strayed so far from the VH sound and Gary had been allowed to sing the wway he did in Extreme (instead of them pushing him to sound like Sammy) and in the right producers hands what might have been?
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i don't disagree, but the problem is that all costs money. the brothers don't seem like they'd care to spend it themselves, nor is that industry standard. so they need a label that is STRONGLY committed to them. given, santana's recent success was just such a case, where a new label wooed him, supported him, then pimped the hell out of his album. but that seemed to be an extreme example of the music being prioritized over the business. it still makes money, it's just most companies don't think that way. i still say, if VH is serious about making music for people to listen to, they could put it out themselves, or on a small label. they have enough of a fan base to go gold there, and with any decent radio play (not a given with the clear channel conglomerate) they could easily go platinum. that might sound modest, but like i said - that's if they're serious about just putting out music for fans to find. besides, touring is where they make the real money. that's why kiss and ozzy can't give it up.

it was a shame about bruce fairbairn. he did a hell of a job. i was impressed with glen ballard on BOV I. you were right - they've had a lousy history of producers lately, and that's one area where the bros. could free up a little of their own coin.

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the best producer would be Rick Rubin and use the approach the Chili Peppers used on Blood Sugar Sex Magic- Rent a house, remove all distractions, live together and create music together.That being said - it'll never happen.
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it