Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars i \'spose
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This article appeared in our newspaper last night. Thought some of you might find it interesting.
    WITH FANS WHO REMEMBER, ROTH, HAGAR HIT SOUR NOTE
    I'll try to approach this as someone getting paid to objectively observe the role of various modern artists, not as a phantom head-banging 80's teen hyped up on testosterone and cheap beer.
    Nevertheless, old habits occasionally die hard.
    Van Halen isn't necessarily the most relevant of topics in the 21st century. After so many reunion false starts over the past five years with former frontman David Lee Roth, only diehard fans still keep alive the idea of anyone in VH, past or present, doing something that matters.
    But they were the ones celebrating when Roth and fellow exile Sammy Hagar announced recently that they're hauling their receding, yet still bleached blond, hairlines on the road together.
    Left behind in the snickering or the excitement (depending on your point of view) was a somber point: eddie Van Halen's career is probably done. And that's sad.
    Aside from the ugliness of rivals Roth and Hagar having to pool resources and cheapen the Van Halen name further, the merging symbolizes the end for not only a once-unstoppable rock band but also one of rock's most important guitarists.
    Van Halen, the who spawned a generation of wannabe guitar heroes, has fought cancer the past couple of years, while also flirting with rumours of a reunion with Roth. One might be just as dire as the other.
    But Edward Van Halen's place in music history is undeniable, no matter what your take is on the band itself and its music. He's the one directly responsible for all the hair-metal guitar gods we love to make fun of now. Van Halen started the era of guitar gunslingers with his signature "Eruption", from VH1, a solo of such speed and ferocity, it still has no equal 24 years later. By the mid 80's, every guitarist had two hands up the neck, doing two-handed tapping that made it sound like they were playing with four hands.
    At least that was the idea. AS van HAlen can take credit for raising the bar on guitar playing as no one had since Jimi Hendrix, he can also be latently blamed for a lot of really bad music from a lot of really bad bands.
    Now, lest this sound like a baseless obituary, it's noteworthy that no one is saying anything negatice about Van Halen's health. The official line is that he is recovering just fine. But there's no denying that the wheels are definitely of the wagon (not that the band hasn't been dead since the salad days of the mullet).
    Warner Bros. recently dropped Vh after nearly 25 years, the band let go of longtime employees, and Vh bassist Michael Anthony has committed to Hagar's side project with Journey guitarist Neil Schon (wait-this is still 2002-isn't it?). These aren't the actions of a band gearing up to retake its arena-rock territory. A reunion was probably a bad idea, but anyone who saw Van Halen in its heydey with Roth can attest to the band's stunning live abilities. It was like lighting a torch to an arena full of fireworks and watching a two hour reaction.
    I don't know if Sam or Dave has taken a gander at the charts the past decade, but neither is exactly a rock heavyweight anymore. When these guys still sold records, they hated each other. Now they need each other.
    This is a sad final act for a once great band. With Roth doing almost all Vh songs, and a big encore with Hagar, it's nothing more than a parody. Hagar should keep selling his overpriced tequila, and Roth should do whatever Roth does now. Leave the VH legacy alone, at least until the guy with the last name says otherwise.
    By Tony Hicks of Knight Ridder Nwspapers

Kind of an interesting point of view. Not any revelations in it, but a good read. Hope you enjoyed it.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a good read.

But only one mans opinion.

And Knight Ridder can kiss my ass.
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,473 Times in 899 Posts

Great article. I nice summary of what we die-hards have seen the past few years.

LONG LIVE VAN HALEN!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I don't know if Sam or Dave has taken a gander at the charts the past decade, but neither is exactly a rock heavyweight anymore. When these guys still sold records, they hated each other. Now they need each other.
    This is a sad final act for a once great band. With Roth doing almost all Vh songs, and a big encore with Hagar, it's nothing more than a parody. Hagar should keep selling his overpriced tequila, and Roth should do whatever Roth does now. Leave the VH legacy alone, at least until the guy with the last name says otherwise.
    This does pretty much sum it up!! I guess I'm somewhat straddling the fence on this whole circus... on one hand, I think it's great to have the opportunity to see these guys together... on the other hand... It doesn't play favorably to the Van Halen legacy... somewhat of a sad blue note IMO.

Any way you slice it... it only adds up to a quarter-assed effort with both parties. Half-assed wouldn't cut it either but at least w/ Mikey in the mix and at least you'd have the correct backing vocals and bass lines!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Your milage may vary...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The "Van Halen Legacy"???

The Van Halen legacy was about "fun"; plain and simple. It was about playing concerts for people to have "fun" at. Dave and Sammy are the ONLY thing keeping the Van Halen legacy alive now. That dude is taking some was too seriously that was not designed to be taken as so.

The tour is gonna be a crack up and a fucking blast!
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by crayola krahn:
    This article appeared in our newspaper last night. Thought some of you might find it interesting.
    WITH FANS WHO REMEMBER, ROTH, HAGAR HIT SOUR NOTE
    I'll try to approach this as someone getting paid to objectively observe the role of various modern artists, not as a phantom head-banging 80's teen hyped up on testosterone and cheap beer.

Cheap beer, my ass [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Nevertheless, old habits occasionally die hard.
    Van Halen isn't necessarily the most relevant of topics in the 21st century. After so many reunion false starts over the past five years with former frontman David Lee Roth, only diehard fans still keep alive the idea of anyone in VH, past or present, doing something that matters.
    But they were the ones celebrating when Roth and fellow exile Sammy Hagar announced recently that they're hauling their receding, yet still bleached blond, hairlines on the road together.
    Left behind in the snickering or the excitement (depending on your point of view) was a somber point: eddie Van Halen's career is probably done. And that's sad.
    Aside from the ugliness of rivals Roth and Hagar having to pool resources and cheapen the Van Halen name further, the merging symbolizes the end for not only a once-unstoppable rock band but also one of rock's most important guitarists.

Translation: BAAAAAAAAA!!

Dave and Sammy "cheapen Van Halen's name", while Eddie is blameless as usual. This guy has to be a sheep It is sad that Eddie's career is done, but what the author misses is the fact that it is a result of his own methodical self destruction over the last 6 years.

Van Halen, the who spawned a generation of wannabe guitar heroes, has fought cancer the past couple of years, while also flirting with rumours of a reunion with Roth. One might be just as dire as the other.

Comparing a Van HALEN reunion to fighting cancer?? Oh, and I suppose VDIII was your idea of a cure all, Mr. sheep??

But Edward Van Halen's place in music history is undeniable, no matter what your take is on the band itself and its music. He's the one directly responsible for all the hair-metal guitar gods we love to make fun of now. Van Halen started the era of guitar gunslingers with his signature "Eruption", from VH1, a solo of such speed and ferocity, it still has no equal 24 years later. By the mid 80's, every guitarist had two hands up the neck, doing two-handed tapping that made it sound like they were playing with four hands.
    At least that was the idea. AS van HAlen can take credit for raising the bar on guitar playing as no one had since Jimi Hendrix, he can also be latently blamed for a lot of really bad music from a lot of really bad bands.

Dude, they're going to kick you out of the pasture for that statement. Eddie Van Halen deserves the blame for a lot of things, but lame pansy ass non talented hair bands isn't one of them.

Now, lest this sound like a baseless obituary, it's noteworthy that no one is saying anything negative about Van Halen's health. The official line is that he is recovering just fine.

READ THAT, SHEEP : From one of your own.

But there's no denying that the wheels are definitely off the wagon (not that the band hasn't been dead since the salad days of the mullet).

Could he mean the band has been dead since 1985??

Warner Bros. recently dropped Vh after nearly 25 years, the band let go of longtime employees, and Vh bassist Michael Anthony has committed to Hagar's side project with Journey guitarist Neil Schon (wait-this is still 2002-isn't it?). These aren't the actions of a band gearing up to retake its arena-rock territory.

No, they are the actions of band members sick and tired of waiting for a bitter cranky old man to get off his ass and do something.

A reunion was probably a bad idea, but anyone who saw Van Halen in its heydey with Roth can attest to the band's stunning live abilities. It was like lighting a torch to an arena full of fireworks and watching a two hour reaction.

Huh??

Van HALEN fucking RULED live, but a reunion is a bad idea. OK, that's a logical statement...... NOT!

This is a sad final act for a once great band. With Roth doing almost all Vh songs, and a big encore with Hagar, it's nothing more than a parody.

And that 1998 VDIII freakshow with the ballerina wasn't?

Furthermore, Dave has not planned any encores with Sammy. As for the Dave and Sammy hating each other thing, that was something Eddie started in 1985, which Sammy, and many of the fans bought into. Until he did the very same thing to Sammy.

Hagar should keep selling his overpriced tequila, and Roth should do whatever Roth does now. Leave the VH legacy alone, at least until the guy with the last name says otherwise.

Damn, just when I was starting to respect this guy a little, he reverts back to blatant sheepism at the end. The "guy with the last name" is the one who has done more harm to the VH legacy than anyone. If it weren't for Eddie, there would have been a Van HALEN tour in 1997, and definitely one within the last 3 years. He is not, never was, and never will be "the band".

The heart of the music? Definitely.

The spirit of Van HALEN? Not on your life.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Marion Barry:
    The "Van Halen Legacy"???

The Van Halen legacy was about "fun"; plain and simple. It was about playing concerts for people to have "fun" at. Dave and Sammy are the ONLY thing keeping the Van Halen legacy alive now. That dude is taking some was too seriously that was not designed to be taken as so.

The tour is gonna be a crack up and a fucking blast!
    Can I git a witness?? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I'm very sparing and reluctant in my use of that s-word, but holy fuck - if the woolly motherfucker who wrote that P O S half-empty glass of drivel above doesn't justify the dirtiest ovine epithets available, I don't know who does.

"Cheapen the Van Halen legacy", my pert little hairy white ASS! How can you cheapen anything already bled of all its value, dipshit?

Too bad our intrepid little columnist doesn't just shut his dickhole, take a couple valium and a few spins of "How Many Say I", and fuckin' FORGET about calling anyone in the morning!
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was a depressing read. This guy can kiss ny arse!

The Van Halen Legacy is indeed about fun, and nothing else. Ask The Atomic Punks; they know what it's about, and have been serving it pipin' hot at local clubs for years.

I'm glad we're here to keep it all real/

Peace.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

This article seemed to find the sentiment that I feel about this whole outing with Dave and Sammy, but couldn't find the words. I don't agree for one minute that Ed's health or career are in jeopardy and I appreciate that finally someone in the fucking press has seen fit to give him the respect and applause he deserves for his undeniable contribution to music. I'm lucky, I saw VH with Dave and that's the absolute right comparison, although, I tended to think of it as a HUGE house party. Dave and the band managed to connect to the audience like no other act I've ever seen and I have to say that even though I didn't get the same vibe from the concerts with Sammy or the one with Gary, they still and will probably always have that ability to convey a loose, fun time and connection with the audience. That's priceless and not something you find in today's music.

God bless Van Halen and long live King Edward! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Could this be magic?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

All I was thinking is: "Doesn't this guy have spell check or something?"
    Your favorite band sucks.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars i \'spose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a matter of fact I do. But I was trying to finish putting this on before I left the house this morning. Hopefully you were able to understand what the writer was trying to say. I'm sure it was like reading chinese, but hopefully your dumb ass got the point.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by crayola krahn:
    As a matter of fact I do. But I was trying to finish putting this on before I left the house this morning. Hopefully you were able to understand what the writer was trying to say. I'm sure it was like reading chinese, but hopefully your dumb ass got the point.
    Whoa!! I don't think that was meant for you, crayola krahn. I don't think xaminer realized that you re-typed the whole thing as opposed to cut-n-pasting it, because I didn't either. Am I right?

Thanks for taking the time to do that. It was a slightly sad but interesting read. I tend to believe Ed is taking a needed break. He's been active for 30+ years as a musician. And being with his son - as if that's not reason enough! If he's indeed healthy or becomes healthy again, I don't see why he wouldn't want to play and tour at some point. If Wolfie is like most teens, he'll be too wrapped up in his own life to notice his dad before too long anyway!
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by crayola krahn:

With Roth doing almost all Vh songs, and a big encore with Hagar, it's nothing more than a parody.

A parody? If Dave doesn't do VH material, we might never hear it again live. I guess this guy thinks we should just sit around and wait for Ed to do it. If you think it's a parody, stay the hell away.

And I hope Sammy does alot of his VH stuff for the same reason..
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA