Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I came across the October 2001 PowerPlay magazine today (Alice Cooper is on the cover), and there's an interesting interview with Jimmy Barnes in there. When asked "Were you offered the Van Halen job", he replied

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I was offered it twice-once when Dave left and once when Sammy left, however the second time they just contacted my management. The first time, Eddie came over to the house and was hassling me. I was based in Los Angeles, having just finished recording Working Class Man. It was a strange time for Eddie; he was going through bad drug problems and Dave had just left. He and Ted Templeman came round and said, "we're looking for a singer". I replied, "well I really like your band. It's a great rock and roll band". Eddie was insistent that they were not going to be like Van Halen, saying "we're just going to be playing ballads". I answered, "well I'm a fuckin' rock singer, so I'm not your man, thanks very much. I appreciate the offer, and if you're bored and ever want to play on any of my records you're in".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that Jimmy had been offered the role when Dave left, but I had no idea that he'd been offered it when Sammy left. Though if Eddie and Jimmy had an affiliation previously, you'd think Eddie would have contacted him a little more personally if VH really wanted Jimmy to replace Sammy.

Other aspects of the response I found interesting were the comment about only doing ballads and the comment that Ted Templeman was along with Eddie when Jimmy was approached.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

I think I've only heard one Jimmy Barnes song and that was the one off of the "Lost Boys" soundtrack (I think). Good voice if I remember correctly but doesn't seem to be the VH type. But then again, maybe, that's the way they should of went. Whatever. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/bounce.gif[/img]
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jimmy used to front a band in australia called cold chisel and beleive me when i say he HAD probably one of the best rock voices anywhere in the world during that period (they split in 1984 although they reformed for an album and tour). the band were great and are considered as legendary in this country. unfortunately, as jimmy has aged, so has his voice and he screams more than he sings these days. i remember hearing about this back when it happened and thought it would have been an interesting choice. personally, i beleive it would not have lasted, however, his voice then would have suited van halen music if they had stayed in the direction of 1984. as we all know, they did not, which makes sense of his comments. furthermore, cold chisel's live shows were amazing, due in part to jimmy's live show. in this regard, his choice as frontman would have been perfect.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Deep Purple also asked Jimmy Barnes if he wanted to sing with them when Ian Gillan left in 1991. He declined that gig too - popular guy, I guess he remained friends with them though. Got up and jammed a few songs when Purple toured Oz recently.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> you'd think Eddie would have contacted him a little more personally if VH really wanted Jimmy to replace Sammy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing surprises me about EVH any more. [img]smilies/bounce.gif[/img]

[ November 06, 2001 at 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's interesting that Ted Templeman went along with Edward to woo Barnes. My understanding was Edward and Ted were on shitty terms at the time, hence Templeman working with Dave (the enemy!) on Eat 'Em.

Edward, could you clarify please?
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I didnt realise Barnes had been asked TWICE. The guys a phenomenal singer, and peaveys statements regarding Cold Chisel are true - an awesome group, I would probably go as far as to say the best rock group ever to come out of Australia - sadly though they never really got a break overseas.

However Barnes is a pretty hyper personality. I think if they couldnt get along well with Roth, they would have no chance with Barnes.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theodore templeman:
    My understanding was Edward and Ted were on shitty terms at the time, hence Templeman working with Dave (the enemy!) on Eat 'Em.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Umm, Theodore, shouldn't you have first hand knowledge about this? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It could very well have been the party line at the time, but I was of the understanding that Ted would have produced 5150 had he not been booked to produce Eat 'Em And Smile. No hard feelings, just a scheduling conflict.

[ November 06, 2001 at 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

What are some Cold Chisel albums that I should be checking out? :uninitiated fan:
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lead Synth:
    What are some Cold Chisel albums that I should be checking out? :uninitiated fan:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Goo is the one to handle this, but he sent me a dozen songs in mp3 by Cold Chisel, and there's some great stuff. In particular, I really love Khe Sahn (awesome song), Four Walls, Shipping Steel and You Got Nothing I Want.

I keep meaning to check some local stores to see if they've got any CC, but I've yet to do it.:lazybastard:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

According to CDNOW, all their albums are imports here...damn. :tightwad:
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Theres a new version of the GH out now, its got a second disc and its all remastered. the covers black instead of gold to differentiate.

Dunno if you can get it overseas though

some links:
    http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/ar...st=Cold+Chisel
    http://www.chaosmusic.com/shop/artis...rtistID=138582
    http://www.coldchisel.com.au

Albums... probably "east" or "Circus Animals" are the best. Either the gold or black GH albums if you can find them - the gold one might be available relitively easily in the states I think. Songs.. if you see 'bow river', 'when the war is over', 'goodbye astrid goodbye', 'standing on the outside', 'cheap wine', 'flame trees', 'saturday night' or 'choir girls' on morpeous or something, then try them out. Also the ones Glenn mentioned - khe sahn is the one to really aim for if you can find it

Bear in mind guitarist Ian Moss often handles vocals as well, so if you d/l something, better post it here and I'll tell you who your listening to!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    BTW aussie dollars are half US for conversion purposes. a $30aus CD is $15us or thereabouts

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I didn't know that Jimmy Barnes was asked at either time. I'm familiar with some of his work but not enough to decide if he would have been a good fit for VH.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Since we have so much free time on our hands, maybe we should work on making a list of people who were offered the job of lead singer both times...

So we know that since Sammy left, Mitch Malloy, Jimmy Barnes, and Gary Cherone got the pitch.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Who the fuck is Jimmy Barnes?