Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a fan of Van Halen . Been a fan since mommy and daddy drug me out to see them in '78.. I'm not gonna say which era I prefer because thats not important. Everyone has their own opinion yadda yadda yadda...and I dont really want this thread to go there...

What we do know is that there are large numbers of people who enjoy both the 78-84,96 and the 86-96. I will say that I think its great that people enjoy or prefer a certain era. How boring would this world be if everyone like the same damn thing!.. Perhaps VH should release two seperate albums. One with Roth and one with Hager. Now they could release these albums at the same time and hopefully have a tour with both former frontman to support the efforts.

This idea i think would be a nice way to lead up to the RRHOF and either put a cap on both era's of Van Halen and either choose one of the two former frontmen for new projects or move on to a fourth singer if thats what they wanna do.

So what do the rest of you think? Is this a way that we could all be happy ? Wouldnt this work for everyone? Includind a good Career move for VH!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 11,598 Times in 4,945 Posts

I think Ed would see doing that as some nostalgia thing, and wouldn't do it, but who knows. It is a great idea IMO, but a lot of work for Ed, Mike, and Al, having to record two albums of music.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.12.13 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think that's a great idea--one befitting of their induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame--hoping its on the first ballot. Kind of has that commemorative appeal about it. If VH's long-term plans do not include DLR or Sammy, together a la this summer or individually, it would be a nice way to close out those chapters of VH. Regardless of the fans' preference for DLR or Sammy, most would at least seem to agree that there's some unfinished business with both singers. Does anyone really like how things ended between VH and either singer?

I also wanted to comment on Eddie's apprehension toward the type of scenario proposed by this thread due to its nostalgic appeal. One of the reasons Sammy and VH got in such a tiff back in 1996 was because Sammy hated the idea of releasing a greatest hits CD. I'm not sure if he used the word "nostalgia" to bash the idea or not, but he was none too happy about the notion of VH cashing in on its "nostalgic" past. To Sammy, the release of a greatest hits CD signified the end of a band's creative, happening period. Sammy's logic was why make the fans purchase virtually an entire CD worth of material they already have.

I also remember Sammy saying how bad he felt for Gary Cherone: people who showed up to the VHIII tour weren't there to hear the new stuff; they were there to hear Dave and Sammy's songs. As such, I'd suggest that in Sammy's mind, VH has already become a nostalgia act (of course if Sam were invited back into the fold--let the revisionist history begin). Just for the record, I think both Dave and Sam are quite capable of bringing fresh new material to the table with VH.

[ August 28, 2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: oldno.7 ]
    "With me in the band, it's one of those miraculous 97-97 deals. It's 97 percent you and 97 percent moi. Is it Mick or Keith? I don't know" -DLR

"We eventually started playing clubs, and we also did weddings. We played everything from the Ohio Players to K.C. & the Sunshine Band. You would love the sight of Van Halen doing 'Get Down Tonight'! But by the third set when everybody was good and tanked up--boy, we'd be blazin'!" -Michael Anthony

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It would be a lot of work for the boys, but not if they already have an album's worth in the can.....Besides, what the hell else have they been doing with their time (besides the cancer thing, of course)?

Golf, alimony, NAMM shows, guest shots on tours, & the like.....

One would think they'd have 4 albums worth of material.....

Fortunately somebody's going to have to speak up come Rock Hall time.

[ August 28, 2002, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Hecubus ]
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Perhaps it would be a great deal of work for Ed, Mike and Al. But I seem to recall Ed saying something about three albums worth of material. Or enought material for three albums..

As far as I know they havent recorded any new material since Van Halen 3 . That was 4 years ago.. What to they know about "a lot of work" anyway!.. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Brett:
    I think Ed would see doing that as some nostalgia thing, and wouldn't do it, but who knows. It is a great idea IMO, but a lot of work for Ed, Mike, and Al, having to record two albums of music.
    I doubt it's a lot of work Brettipooh.

Ed's had like 3 years to write music. You know he's writing. It'll be a matter of laying the tracks on tape. That can be done in 1-2 takes, just like playing live. I can't see it taking long.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With all of this talk about X amount of albums worth of material in the can since 1998, it seems definitely possible to do two albums like this. However, I can see some problems between Hagar and DLR bitching about why "the songs he got to sing over are better than mine" or "how come you didn't give that one to me?" There'd be a mountain of problems instigated by both singers and we'd be right back to where we are now - nowhere.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy would never go for it. The Van HALEN stuff would outsell the Van HAGAR stuff, and Sambo knows it.
    banned 3x

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PBR Streetgang (Apocolypse Now reference perhaps?), I think you're right that Sam would not go for it but not for the reason you state. I think the reason he wouldn't go for it is that he would look at it as 'I'm either in or I'm out...if you get me, you don't need Dave etc...'

But to your point that the Van Halen stuff would outsell the Van Hagar stuff, possibly. But, having seen Sam on every solo tour since he left VH and having talked to a ton of Hagar fans, many are fans of his solo efforts and don't care as much about VH unless Sam's a part of it. True Van Halen fans will buy the records regardless and I think it's the auxillary fans (fans of Dave and Sam as solo artists) that will truly determine the success of each effort. And I think Sam has a far greater following as a solo artist than does David Lee Roth. That's my opinion anyway.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang:
    Sammy would never go for it. The Van HALEN stuff would outsell the Van HAGAR stuff, and Sambo knows it.
    Although both would be successful, I have to agree.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great solution David5152!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It would be difficult to get Ed to work with either guy and make one album, let alone both guys to make two. It would definitely be a coup, though. No band's ever done anything like that. Then again, no band's ever really put themselves in the position to do it. LOL

Ah, it's a pipe dream. While Ed spoke about having three albums worth of music, it's presumptive to think things would run smoothly, or quickly, with the singers. There would be a disagreement about some material they'd be working with, something catty would come up, there'd be a big fight, etc... I think they'd have to spend some time working through their personal shit before they'd take on a project that would be this big. And there's no guarantee that afterwards they'd even make it into the studio if they did. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

It's a cool idea. In theory, everyone would get what they want. But with the egos Dave, Ed and Sam bring to the table, with all their friggin' baggage, I seriously doubt it could be pulled off.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess the only choice for a project like this if it were to work would be if it was released as a double album (CD) set. That way there could be no feuding regarding which singers effort outdid
    the other. It should be about the music. We would know anyway just by radio airplay wich effort was best received by the masses...

I still think that a tour following the release of a double album with both singers would be the perfect salvation for Van Halen and 25years of music. Its something no band has ever done. Dave and Sammy could take turns closing each show just like they did this year. then.... RROH! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang:
    That's why we got a half Dave, half Sammy BOVI CD. It might work as one double album, but don't hold your breath.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

...And The Cradle Will Rock
    Last Online

02.10.06 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, I think that is a killer idea. I hope Eddie's got someone checking this site out for him! The two CD's would work like a charm, and the creative tension would make for a great show and tour. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be badass!