Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

This was posted by someone at the DLR Army website and I thought it was written from the heart and felt that it should be posted here at the LINKS.

(The following is an open letter to Edward Van Halen from one bitter classic van halen fan who has had enough of the rumors, lies, and wall of silence surrounding the on again off again reunion with david lee roth. Feel free to openly post your comments and opinions after viewing the following lines....)
    Dear Edward,
    It has been close to one year since the public has heard any official news pertaining to the plans of van halen both currently and in the future. As a long time fan of you and your music, I regretfully find myself writing this letter to you today to voice my personal displeasure and confusion surrounding the current state of affairs of van halen the band. It's painfully obvious who the public wants to be the next lead singer ....in fact he is the only logical choice to resurrect the throne that he relinquished supposedly voluntarily over 15 years ago. It's unfortunate and quite sad that you and dave just for whatever reason don't seem to get along. Yes I know that the guy can be a real asshole when he wants to and probably has the ego the size of most football stadiums but then again you have to in order to survive the nonstop pressure from the fans, the media and the record companies. The same goes for you and the rest of the band for that matter. Whether you love him or loathe him you have to admit that the musical chemistry between the two of you is simply incredible. In case you've forgotten, just click on your local rock radio station in that quarter million dollar Lamborghini of yours and listen to them play classic van halen. A reunion album and tour with roth would be the biggest musical event in the history of rock and roll. There is only one thing that could possibly top that and that would be a full scale Beatles reunion with John Lennon and we all know that aint gonna happen anytime soon. Of course, the financial windfall that would surely follow such a reunion would be well worth any pain and aggravation that would be encountered while writing, recording and eventually touring with roth. Just to let you in on a little something from your fans, you have everything to lose while roth has everything to gain if the reunion doesn't go down. Everyone knows that you call the shots and have final say on any van halen related musical matter. So far, the public perception is that if you wanted roth back....he would do it no questions asked. He may be an asshole but he aint stupid. He knows where it's at and he also is in tune with the fans as to what they want as well. You unfortunately do whatever you want, whenever you want without much thought or attention to your fans. You've always said in interviews that you write music for yourself first and foremost. If only one person out there likes it then to you it's a success and mission accomplished. I suppose it's safe to assume that the same theory holds true as to the business state of affairs and personal band decisions. Again I take no pleasure in writing this to you today but like the majority of rock fans out there waiting for so long finally reached the point where enough is enough. We demand that you tell us what the hell is going on. You have been my personal hero since I was 14 years old. You influenced me to play guitar and try piano as well. I am musical enough to respect and appreciate your musicianship and artistic ability no matter what the critics said. I also have purchased every cd, bootleg and gone to as many tours as I could just to see you play. I'm sure there are millions more just like me who feel the same way....for the last time....we demand to know what is going on? The future of van halen will certainly depend on it....let's hope you make the right decision.
    Respectfully yours,
    Rpdragos

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This letter makes the point that Dave has everything to gain from the reunion not working out. I would have to strongly disagree with that. There's certainly nothing wrong with selling 100 000 albums and touring clubs, but that's the fate that Dave is looking at without Van Halen.

For me, Ed's health and his personal happiness are more important than anything. And if, somewhere in there, we get another album, fantastic. If not, I thank him for what he's given us over the last 25 years.

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH is not my life, They are a part of it but I would live the rest of my life just fine whether or not they ever put out another album .
    With due respect, This kind of thing is a little too much for me. Lets get some perspective here.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This doesn't help much but I agree with all of the posts ahead of me

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.07.16 @ 10:53 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Frankly, I agree with the letter. It's not about VH BEING someone's life, it's about their music making an impact on your life, in whatever way. And yes, they've given us incredible music for the past 25 years, but the thing that's frustrating is that they are capable of SO much more. It's time they showed the world what REAL rock n roll music is, cause realistically, today's music is pretty lame IMO.
    As far as Eddie writing for himself, I think the band DOES owe its fans a great deal. After all, we're the ones who actually PAY them, indirectly or not. Bottom line: we deserve to know what is going on.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Now listen if the original lineup does not reunite yes life will go on. I just felt this guy was speaking for a lot of us on how we feel about this situation. That's all.And that's all I have to say about that.

[This message has been edited by AJW (edited October 05, 2000 at 01:33 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I think Van Halen at least owes us a little explanation on what's going on.

Personally, I would rather hear NOW that they've decided to retire rather than anticipate blindly for five more months and then find out they've quit.

Of course, I would MUCH rather hear NOW that Dave is back in the band and we'll have a new album in early-middle 2001

------------------
    Right Now, it's safe to add one (1) to my post count.
    Right Now, strange is beautiful.
    Right Now, I'm a Dirty Faced Kid.
    Right Now, MTV has no idea what happens when rabid Van Halen fans have their favorite band insulted.
    Soon Enough, they'll learn the hard way.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think a lot of fans are being selfish. think of it, the dude quit drinking, got a new hip, part of his fucking tongue removed, had his most personal album bomb and become a joke, quit smoking...i imagine he's gone through more in the last 25 months than the last 25 years.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lets face It folks. Eddie's a pretty bitter
    dude these days. Career wise he's going against everything he really wants to do. This reunion Is being forced. Deep down this
    Is not what he wanted...If VHIII would have gone double platinum (or even platinum) and was accepted by the fans, you could bet Eddie wouldn't even be thinking about getting back Dave.

MichelleWms
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1984:
    i think a lot of fans are being selfish. think of it, the dude quit drinking, got a new hip, part of his fucking tongue removed, had his most personal album bomb and become a joke, quit smoking...i imagine he's gone through more in the last 25 months than the last 25 years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And don't forget, he had to learn to play the tuba.

Just a little joke. ;p

Lighten up people. It's not the end of the world.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats dudes letter is exactly what ive been thinking for the past year... and i agree with the posts ahead.

maybe ed will play tuba on the next album!

he can do eruption.... but on tuba.......
    thatd be great!

------------------
    *Might As Well Go For A Soda!* - Kim Mitchell '84

http://surf.to/atomicpunk

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Eddie plays Tuba on the next album I will suck a golf ball through a garden hose right after I fuck Al Gore up the ass.YUCK! Anyways, I agree Eddie needs a good old fashioned ass chewing. I have the sneaking suspicion that Eddie has fallen off the wagon. I did. For the past 3 weeks. Once a drunk always a fucking drunk looser. For this whole past year of silence Eddie might be at home sucking the bottle and suffering liver cancer. Who the fuck knows! I may be right or I may be wrong. The only thing I know for sure is their are a lot of frustrated VH fans like me. Don't get me wrong. Not all fans are frustrated at Eddie. Their are some that are to busy kissing his ass to be mad at him. NOT FUCKING ME BROS.! I have had enough of the silence. I demand Eddie to speak, or at least give us a new riff. Pretty soon we will all be dead. Let's get rocking while we still are alive Eddie. Eddie needs to realize the importance the fans have had on his life over the years. That big fucking house he lives in, the studio, the nice cars, the pool, the Malibu beach house, etc. That rich life style he has been living for the past 20+ years is due to us. We need to be treated fairly. Eddie needs to stop being so fucking selfish and treat the fans with the respect we deserve. I think Eddie is a tremendous musical talent. But, a dirty fucking dude.Peace out Eddie Van Halen. This is MY open letter asshole.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But Madden, how do you REALLY feel??

Anyway, I disagree with one part of several of you guys' posts: Eddie and the band don't OWE us anything! Yes, we've bought records, concert tickets, t-shirts, etc., but we GOT those things. We got exactly what we paid for. We did NOT invest in a future Van Halen, we simply paid for, and received, the products/services offered.

I bought a Coca-Cola tonight...I drank it. Should I now expect Coke to divulge their company secrets? Should I have them explain themselves to me? Of course not! I bought it, and I consumed it. Period. End of story. I got exactly what I paid for and nothing more. They owe me nothing.

However, I really wish VH WOULD tell us what's going on, but if they're quiet, there must be a damn good reason. And if they DO fill us in on the situation, we can all go buy them a Coke. and maybe buy a cd, a ticket, a t-shirt....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.20.16 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I second that, Abe

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Madden, I kind of like you in a fuckin wierd kind of way, but that post kind of bordered on pissing me off. I dont think your TOO worried about that for some reason, but that kind of attitude is lousy IMO. Your calling HIM selfish??? Wow. If selfish is a bad thing in your book, ......have you read your own book??

------------------
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Ohhh my god , my hell inside me ... hey guys ... we need that the womens come back !
    YUUNNK!! (eddie italian)