Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Of course this was originally posted at the Army.

Thanks HARDKNOCKS!!!

Read on kids, and pick up FHM, a great interview and a few hotties to look at to boot! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

http://www.fhmus.com/magazine/featured/

David Lee Rothís interview with Scott Gramling in this monthís FHM is an instant classic in the pantheon of rock interviews. Fortunately for FHMUS.com, Diamond Dave is a notorious motor mouth, leaving us with enough of the former Van Halen wild manís rants for another interview onto itself.

So a video tape called "David Lee Rothís No Holds Barbecue" comes into the FHM office one day without explanation. Weíre thinking, "All right, this must be a backyard party home video Dave slapped together." But when we popped it in, it was clear that a lot of time and money went into this thing. In addition to scenes of you cavorting with midgets, heavily armed men and women in various states of undress, the hour-plus-long tape features cover versions of such songs as the Beatlesí "Tomorrow Never Knows" and the Chemical Brothersí "Dig Your Own Hole." What gives?
    I like to think I have a great sense of humor. I have a good outreach feel for most other people, but deep down inside Iím pretty angry. If you make an album that is wildly diverse youíll get the same words Picasso got when both eyes wound up on one side of the headónobody really knew what to make of it. But for a movie nobody blinks when it goes from Metallica to Mystical in 3 minutes 28 seconds. You gotta be capable of making fun of your own self. You have to have the confidence so that at the end of the daily raceóand we all run oneówhen you realize the finish line has been erased and thereís nothing but detracting lab chimps hurling insults, you think, "Hey, I ran great, fuck you." When youíre able to say that, you bring so much more. How many friends of ours do we have, especially the trust fund friend, who go, "I have an IQ of 182"? Well, Bonnie, you have the personality of a small soap dish. And Gina, did you even understand that joke? Me? Iím show people.

When was it that you realized you were show people?
    I think youíre pretty well formatted by the time youíre a dozen. I came from Indiana with a banjo on my knee and lived up and down in Massachusetts and spent summers in New York City plenty of times before I was 12 years old. And then I moved to LA. Consequently Iím a book reader. Ridicule and sarcasm are refined art forms at my family table. My father would repeatedly start dinner with, "So what are we pretending to not know today?" Iíve always felt the worldís a stage and all I need is better lighting. Iíve also involved the art of invisible, invulnerable and invincible. I donít require the constant spotlight. Most musicians cannot admit to you that theyíd rather die than go unnoticed. Me, I canít scratch my ass without having it show up on Page 6 and the Internet, yet if Junior goes unnoticed it ruins his day. Iíve got the best of all worlds. Iím clearly identified by my smile, my haircut and the sound of my voice. But long as I wear my baseball hat, keep my mouth shut, try and walk like a normal human beingóthatís still a bit of a struggleóI can go unnoticed.

So what exactly happened with you and the Van Halen brothers? Who got their panties in a bunch and over what?
    Most peopleís worlds become smaller, not just in music. While you struggle to hum the second and third Beethoven the rest of us here down at the local cantina are gonna work our way through 40 tunes that half of us werenít even born for. When both NY teams took the field for the 2000 World Series they played "Running With The Devil." It is a salute to what I did and I am more readily identified with the Van Halen team than I am as a solo artist. How lucky can you be to have songs that are as familiar as "Happy Birthday?" Oh what a chore, I have to sing "Jump" for the rest of my life. You could end up singing a lot worse, my friend.

Do you have any particular memories that stick out from the early days when Van Halen played the LA beer bars?
    Yeah, the first time I had to sue the Mayfield School of the Holy Child and Jesus Incorporated. Thatís my first lawsuit and I filed it. I was 19 years old and a nun had refused to pay us $125 because she said she smelled pot backstage. The judge asked, "Do you have a statement to make, Mr. Roth?" I stood up and I said, "Yes sir, I do. How does she know what pot smells like?"

Is it true that Van Halen deserves credit for kicking off the monster truck phase in America?
    We opened for Aerosmith and the idea was to leave an empty Volkswagen shell on a raised portion behind the stage on the stairs in the LA Coliseum. Weíd rented a tank, and the first time we tried to crush the car it exploded and somebody almost got hurt and the rivets shot off at 60 miles an hour. And the second time the tank didnít start. At the end of the day itís really down to what can you do in a pair of jeans and a white T-shirt with one white light. And the guy running the light will forget to turn it off at the end of the song. Yes, Iím a little bitter. My last lighting directorís dad was the guy who ran the spotlight at Pearl Harbor.

In addition to opening for Aerosmith, you guys toured with Journey. That seems like an odd pairing being that Journey didnít exactly come across as a hard-partying band like Van Halen.
    We opened for every act that was capable of letting us do so. We wanted to appeal to as diverse an audience as possible, which is why I invented the name Van Halen. Granted, itís their last name but they wanted to name the band after a Black Sabbath song or something. It was my idea to call us Van Halen because you canít translate it directly into anything. It could be the name of a boat. It could be the name of a captain. It could be something like Santana. Van Halen was one of those sounds and certainly one of those personalities that went way beyond. You donít even have to speak English as a first language to know what Diamond Dave is on about. In fact it may be preferable. Just like Stravinsky, my mom always maintained Iím best understood by animals and small children. Yeah, well, my inner child just wants to get laid.

Whatís the worst injury youíve suffered from all the jumping around you do on stage?
    Iíve probably broken 30 bones over the years but I call it all Jackie Chan stuff. Itís all in a dayís work. Iíve broken my back twice, Iíve broken bones in both feet, broken bones in my neck, in my elbows, half of my fingers. Itís a tough job and if I didnít do it nobody could.

What about the scar under your eye, how did that happen?
    The scar near my eye actually happened when I smashed up the original Ice Cream Man guitar and a piece flew up into the air. I had said that it was a bottle of perfume with a love note, which actually did arrive at the same time. And when I finally made it back to the hotel thatís the girl I slept with. Who in his right mind is gonna admit in a public forum that he smashed his guitar Pete Townsend style and then it ricocheted back to him and cost him 14 stitches? Forever, to never be let alone, thanks to Scott.

Sorry man.
    I know, I remind you of when you were young and stupid. Thatís why they love me, Scott. Great. Next question.

Sammy Hagarís got his own tequila. Shouldnít you have a Diamond Dave wine cooler or something?
    How about an 18-year-old single malt?

Sounds tasty. Looking back is there any one good lesson that you learned while coming up through the ranks that has stuck with you through all these years?
    Yeah, sure. Just because nobody understands you does not mean youíre an artist.

Read more of Diamond Dave's ramblings in this month's FHM, on sale now.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 2,099 Times in 686 Posts

Great interview! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

That's a cool interview, but how many times do I have to be told how great this DVD is before Dave releases it? If he's so proud of it, how come it's not in my local store?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave seems to be more straight forward and candid, and much less of being in his "on" personality in this interview.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As usual, more tap dancing around the VH question. Is anybody gonna ever answer it straight and be truthful? [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    That's a cool interview, but how many times do I have to be told how great this DVD is before Dave releases it? If he's so proud of it, how come it's not in my local store?
    I bought this video at the Dave and Sam concert in L.A. and to tell you the truth, I didn't like it, there is no start and no end of things, but what the heck is DLR.
    I'll probably won't watch it again.
    Even though DLR is my hero.
    Oh and an INCREDIBLE interview!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ August 15, 2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: ED-A-HOLIC ]
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Iīve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Thanks Wang.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FHM: Sammy Hagar’s got his own tequila. Shouldn’t you have a Diamond Dave wine cooler or something?

DLR: How about an 18-year-old single malt?

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] BUU HA HA HA!! That Dave...always something to crack me the fuck up.

-steve

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:

Iíve probably broken 30 bones over the years but I call it all Jackie Chan stuff. Itís all in a dayís work. Iíve broken my back twice, Iíve broken bones in both feet, broken bones in my neck, in my elbows, half of my fingers. Itís a tough job and if I didnít do it nobody could.
    Shows you what he went/goes through. His jumps may not be a high - but thank god for video - that back flip in Jump, the CLASSIC scissors kick in Unchained, repeat 5 tears later for Yankee Rose, the move at the start of Just Like Paradise - DLR - What a Guy!!!!!!

On Fire
    Last Online

10.28.09 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whoa... reading Dave's interview always gives me headaches... he should stick to what he does best... rockin on stage!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally said by Dave:
    It is a salute to what I did and I am more readily identified with the Van Halen team than I am as a solo artist. How lucky can you be to have songs that are as familiar as "Happy Birthday?" Oh what a chore, I have to sing "Jump" for the rest of my life. You could end up singing a lot worse, my friend.
    Oh man, Dave isn't just waving the white flag of surrender, but now he's talking about it?!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Just bought the FHM magazine today. Interesting interview, kinda the same verbal flow that Dave's been in lately. Dave makes this comment about Eddie;

"The only time I won't beat up on Eddie as a colleague, a contemporary and an absolute equal is if he's not doing well. Right now, he's not doing well. Not medically, not otherwise."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Just bought the FHM magazine today. Interesting interview, kinda the same verbal flow that Dave's been in lately. Dave makes this comment about Eddie;

"The only time I won't beat up on Eddie as a colleague, a contemporary and an absolute equal is if he's not doing well. Right now, he's not doing well. Not medically, not otherwise."
    So is he saying Eddie isn't well?
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Oh man how I love to read what that guy says. Just reading what he says I classify as entertainment. I'd like to just sit him in a room and say "go", and just sit down and listen. His thought process is damn near alien.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Thanks for posting the interview. DLR is entertaining as ever!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com