Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OU Hate Me 2? Sammy Hagar pulls no punches on `Heavyweight' partner David Lee Roth

by Sarah Rodman
    Tuesday, August 27, 2002

The tour is called ``Song For Song, the Heavyweight Champs of Rock and Roll,'' but Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth aren't duking it out tomorrow night at the Tweeter Center.

The ex-Van Halen frontmen saved their jabs for the interviews promoting the tour. While Roth was unavailable, a genial Hagar illuminated how his dream of touring with his predecessor has become a nightmare.

When the erstwhile Red Rocker agreed to tour with Diamond Dave, he, like many VH fans, probably envisioned the former enemies sharing some Cabo Wabo tequila and swapping war stories about working with Eddie and Alex Van Halen. They would become, not friends exactly, but grudgingly respected colleagues.

Or not.

``I thought that would happen, too,'' says Hagar on the phone from a Pennsylvania tour stop. Things started out benevolently, says the speed-limit scofflaw. ``We sat around a couple of hours after the show, smoking and drinking and having a good time.''

The camaraderie was short-lived.

``It's gotten ugly a couple of times and its not a friendly thing. Dave isn't a fun guy and that's the only bad thing I'll tell you about him,'' Hagar says. ``He's not into having fun, he's not into treating the people that work for him good. He's into `I'm God and everyone's below me and that's it, I'm David Lee Roth.' ''

Oh, one more bad thing.

``He's crazy,'' says Hagar unequivocally.

``When you're 25 years old and you're acting like a sex god and you're real good looking and you're in the hottest rock band in the world, you can get away with it,'' says Hagar. But according to Hagar, the 46-year-old Roth's ego-driven insistence on behaving as if it were still 1984 makes him ``everyone's enemy. He's just built himself into that world and everyone around him dislikes him and he's a miserable, unhappy, no-fun human being.''

All that being said - quite jovially - Hagar makes a distinction between the private Roth and the performer.

``He's doing great shows every night,'' says Hagar, who will open the Boston show with special guest Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony in tow. ``I don't think he's ever been a great singer but the pure set list is awesome. Those early Van Halen songs are killer.''

Plus Roth is still enjoying a bit of the old razzle-dazzle. ``Believe me, he's not just kind of doing it, he's really doing it right, the band's good and he's dressing way up,'' Hagarsays with a laugh, ``it's really a shiny show.

``Other than Elton and Billy Joel, you are not going to get more hits in one night,'' says Hagar, who also plays his own solo hits including ``I Can't Drive 55'' and ``Three Lock Box.'' Roth sticks to VH material. Each plays for 90 minutes, swapping the opening and closing slots from night to night.

Hagar, who was the party-hearty everyman, as opposed to Roth's showboating lounge lizard, takes a different approach. ``It's like a metal Margaritaville,'' he says of his onstage bar set that includes a bartender, waitresses and seating for 60 fans. ``Our sets are so different I almost say you can't even compare us, but if you've got to, go ahead.''

Critics, and many fans, have. The nearly unanimous judgment is that Roth is entertaining but Hagar actually sounds good. The tour has become one of the summer's top 10 moneymakers.

Hagar, never a critical favorite and the target of voluminous fan scorn when he joined Van Halen, is, understandably, thrilled.

``I've got to tell you the best thing about this tour is that all of sudden the press loves me because they hate Dave so bad,'' the 54-year-old says with a laugh.

In addition to Anthony - who, tellingly, does not play with Roth - another familiar face is popping up tomorrow night.

Hagar has invited VH singer No. 3 and Boston native Gary Cherone to the show, ``just to show there's no animosity with me or anybody else. I'm really looking forward to that because Gary's a great singer and a great performer.''

Hagar warns of blue faces if fans are holding their breath for a Hagar-Roth collaboration, however.

``Don't even cross your fingers,'' he says with a laugh. ``We don't belong out there together.''

Hagar does believe, however, that he and his former VH bandmates just might.

``My whole premise about Van Halen is I think it's inevitable,'' says Hagar, who now lives in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, where he runs a nightclub and makes tequila when not touring and recording. ``But its going to have to be friends first, business second. It would have to be Eddie or Alex calling and saying, `Hey, were sorry, let's get together and talk.'

``The musicianship and the camaraderie that we had at one time was like nothing else. If we were friends first and then the music came up to that level we could make such an awesome record we'd blow everybody's mind.''

Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth play the Tweeter Center tomorrow night at 7. Tickets: $20-$50. Call 617-931-2000.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I don't think I would typify this interview as bullshit. Granted, I don't see the need to continually re-hash his dislike for Roth but it's not as though he's contacting these writers and saying 'hey, I gotta tell you how much I hate this guy.' They call him. I think a good amount of it is intended to spark interest in the shows and get the marginal VH fans to buy tickets. But the rest of it is Sam being honest. What's wrong with that? I know the Roth fans don't like that their guys is being 'outed' as a jackass but it's under his control not to be viewed that way by behaving in an acceptable manner--something he has yet to be able to do thus NO REUNION.

One thing is for certain, though...Sam is open to a reunion where he never seemed to be before. I for one am crossing my fingers for a reunion--with either Sam or Dave. But, I wouldn't bet on it being Dave.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I actually thought Sammy was pretty fair.

Maybe that's because his "latest" assessment of the situation is very similar to what I've read/been suspecting all along.

Dave brings the show, the spotlight, the excitement, the showmanship, and the memories.

Sammy brings the gargantuan pipes and a "mellow-ish" party vibe.

My first preference for a reunion tour would be to have both singers. If that didn't work out, I'd like only Dave. BUT ONLY ONCE. Then close the books.

Again, I don't see where the "bullshit" is in that interview. Dave acts like a "party guy" in front of the camera, and of course, back stage, but when the lights are off, he's (supposedly) a very well-read, intelligent, insightful, critical and cranky egomaniac. Not that I give a rip about what he does during his off-hours.

Sure, Sammy is fat & lazy.

If I could only see one show with one singer, it'd be with DLR.

But who would YOU rather hang out with 2 hours after the show??

Sammy probably walks around his hotel room with his shirt unbuttoned, fat stomach sticking out, but has a good attitude, is drinking some tequila, and wants to talk and "shoot the sh*t".

Dave is probably busy reading 'War and Peace', and throwing his shiny shoes at the hotel TV because he doesn't agree with the political opinions of those jerks on 'Crossfire'.

Just another man's point of view, with some speculation thrown in..... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

03.03.11 @ 01:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, was the bullshit where Sam said "Dave is doing it up right, great show every night, killer set list", Hmmm, Seems that while Sam doesnt like Dave, he respects him as a professional, isn't that the excuse that Rothfans use for why Eddie should work with Dave?
    It's good to be the King or at least know him.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In every article from this tour, Sam comes across as a desperate man trying to save his ass and career by continually cutting down Dave and trying to perpetrate his "Just one of the guys in Magaritaville" attitude. Why not just say he and Dave have different styles and they don't really communicate after the shows? Now I'm an Eddie fan ,I could give to shits about these two clowns. I don't believe anything Sammy says. I never trust a salesman. Neither one has a career in music without the brothers.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Majestic:
    Sure, Sammy is fat & lazy.
    And how exactly is he lazy (I'll give you the fat)? Sam has put out three solo records and toured extensively since he and Van Halen parted ways. The Brothers: one ill-conceived album and one lackluster tour.

Sam may be a lot of things, but lazy ain't one of 'em.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

My bet is that Sam will join =VH= in the near future.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by man of the people:
    Why not just say he and Dave have different styles and they don't really communicate after the shows?.
    It looks like he did say that:

Originally posted by man of the people:
    ``Our sets are so different I almost say you can't even compare us, but if you've got to, go ahead.''

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Bullshit from Sammy huh?

Seems like all he said was nice things regarding Dave regarding his performance on stage.
    Its what he does or doesn't do off stage that Sammy has a problem with. He treats his employees like shit. Well duh, we have known that for a long time.

He says nothing bad about Gary, and I commend him for inviting him to the show. (I think it was Mike's idea initially, to help show Ed & Al that Sammy holds no grudges).

Now its Sammy saying that it is "INEVITABLE" that HE and Van Halen reunite.
    Dave seems to have backed off the VH gig dream a bit don't ya think?
    When was the last interview Dave did to help promote a show? He once again declined to be a part of this story.

After this tour is finished, I see Sammy re-joining VH. Dave going back into hibernation, and Brian Young getting back with the PUNKS where he will provide the fans with classic VH music that won't cost the fans near as much money.

The biggest comments I have read from posters here, to credible mainstream reporters is that Dave IS stuck in 1984 where Sammy feels the pulse of his audience.
    After Gary left I was stoked about the chance of Dave returning to VH. (even though I didn't think that MWM or CGTSNM were all that good).
    But its now almost 3 full years later and I want Sammy back because its the only true option for VH to go for more than just one album and tour.
    I want stability back in this band. Dave does not bring that. Probably because Dave just isn't that stable of a man.

So I have tomorrow night to look forward to and I will tape the VMA's and watch them just in case.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Add me to the list of people searching for the bullshit in the article. Sounds to me like the reporter asked Sammy how he and Dave are getting along and Sammy was honest with her. He could have used a little more tact, but he has a right to his opinions. When she asked him about the shows, Sammy complimented Dave profusely. I think he's just answering reporters' questions as honestly as he can - nothing wrong with that. Too bad Dave isn't talking to the press, I'd like to hear his side of the story.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys are crazy!

Sammy is so pathetic: let's just start with "a reunion is inevitable." Sound familiar?

It's Roth's line from many interviews since the Greatest Hits problems.

Now Sammy is using it.

Roth is nasty to his people? Then why did Ted Templeman and most of Van Halen's touring management follow him out the door in 1984?

Sammy is trying to spin his way back into Van Halen so we can get more "Right Now" and "Don't Tell Me (what shit is)" and you guys are backing up the truck!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

So Sam and Dave hung out, and Sam says Dave isn't much fun and is a bit eccentric. I doubt anyone here can refute the former, and I'm certain nobody would disagree with the latter.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    Roth is nasty to his people? Then why did Ted Templeman and most of Van Halen's touring management follow him out the door in 1984?
    Ah, Sammy is refering to Dave's behavior now, in 2002; you are refering to Dave in 1984. What's your point?
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 11,566 Times in 4,929 Posts

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    Because they bought the hype that Dave was Van Halen. Oops. Notice all of these people deserted Dave after a few years and Ted Templeman was gone after EEAS himself, later showing up to help produce FUCK.

Sam doesn't like Dave, Dave doesn't like Sam. Why is this a shock to anyone?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Sammy:"The musicianship and the camaraderie that we had at one time was like nothing else. If we were friends first and then the music came up to that level we could make such an awesome record we'd blow everybody's mind."

I can't understand why the brothers won't swallow their pride and call Sammy. Don't wait 'til the tour's over - DO IT NOW ED & AL!!!!!!