Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you don't agree with my post entitled "what the fuck", hear this:

anybody who saw the "100 Most Shocking Moments in Rock n' Roll" on VH1 - where Dave himself is featured at #40 - knows exactly what I mean in my post entitled "what the fuck".

the geneeral public sees him as a joke nowadays.

...and playing at Bob's Chicken Ranch with Survivor and Firehouse in North Dakota ain't helping the reputation.
    ed(to dave): "you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup."<br /><br />al: "and we don't mean no coffee cup, motherfucker!"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd settle for someone playing at Bob's Country Bunker.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Dave without VH draws no public attention anymore. He's not a household name, and he won't be again without being associated with VH.

Because of all that, there's no public image to ruin. He could open up for Weird Al, and noboby would notice or care except for a small group of fans. All of this
    'ruining the VH legacy/legend' talk is a bunch of bullshit. Dave left that behind in 1985. Eddie Van Halen is the one who's ruined his own name through his inactions.

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Eddie Van Halen is the one who's ruined his own name through his inactions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're absolutely right Mike. But it's hard for some of these individuals, who worship EVH as a deity, to admitt when he's the one dickin' the dog. As the FORD likes to say "Bhhhhaaaaaaaa."
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't think EVH has ruined the legend by his inaction, the harm has come from his lack of communication. If he wants to be inactive, that shouldn't do a thing to the EVH (or the VH) legend as long as he handles it correctly and just says flat out "we're on indefinite hiatus". Unfortunately, the band has allowed everyone to labor under illusions that don't seem to be true, and they've done nothing to curb that. It's easy to say that the band has never told us Dave was an option, but they know full well that that's the word on the street and they've let it go too far. That's where the damage is coming from.

It's all just been handled poorly. If they didn't want to work with Dave, they should have said that right away. If they weren't happy with Dave's vocal skills, attitude, style etc in May of 2000, there's no reason to assume those things would become more to their liking a year later.

Having said that, what has caused Dave to become a slave to his VH days? Sammy sold the same number of copies of Ten13 as Dave sold of DLR Band, and Sammy can still tour and present a balanced set list from throughout his career. I think it's safe to say that you're correct, outside of his fans, no one cares about Dave, but the same can be said of Sammy. And both of them sold an equal amount on their last solo project.

So how is Sammy pulling off continuing to make progress while Dave seems stuck? I honestly can't figure that out. Dave sold 100 000 copies of DLR Band (I've read), and obviously those buyers knew it wasn't VH material, so there is obviously interest in hearing him outside of VH. Which is why I believe that Dave shouldn't abandon his solo music if he's out of Van Halen.

Dave sold a decent number of records considering he's way out of fashion, he's on a shitty label and his name wasn't even on the CD. Why abandon that to go backwards? Doesn't Dave have faith that his fans want to hear new stuff from him?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Whatever Dave's reasons and plans are, they're his own for the moment. Why harp on the fact that he wants to go out and play VH? It's his choice.

Who knows what his motivations are? Maybe he just enjoys performing those songs, and reliving his glory days. Perhaps this is his swan-song with VH material.

Or maybe, just maybe, he's been preparing to perform these incredibly special songs for a long time now. Would all of that preparation be a waste if he just decides to sit and spin, like his former bandmate? I know you'd rather that he went back into the studio Glenn, but if this is what Dave thinks he needs to do who are we to disparage him about that?

As for myself, I welcome the chance to enjoy these songs being sung by Dave. You never know when he might just give up, like Ed.

And Ed's lack of communication is his inaction. He's ruined a lot of good faith in this last year.

[ May 31, 2001 at 04:17 PM: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Why harp on the fact that he wants to go out and play VH? It's his choice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why harp on what Eddie's doing; it's his choice?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I know you'd rather that he went back into the studio Glenn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think I've ever said that. Eventually I'd like to see him do that if he's continuing his solo career, but for now I'd like to see him not turn his back on his own material that has made up his career since he left Van Halen. I fully realize that there's no time to put together an album for summer, and that he wants to tour. Great, I have no problem with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but if this is what Dave thinks he needs to do who are we to disparage him about that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Again, who are we to disparage EVH for what he's doing?

I don't think I'm "harping" on Dave anymore than you've been "harping" on Eddie. What are we doing here if we're not giving our opinions? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

We're just discussing the unravelling and fallout from the reunion that most of us had hoped for for over a year. We made enough noise about it that Ed and company opened a message board to compete with us. Most of what has been discussed in both places has been fueled by the reunion rumors.

Eddie has lied to us, and led us on. I think he's still doing it. That's why I harp on Ed. He's a lowlife, only because of how he's treated his fans this last year.

Would you agree that we can blame the 4 major players' silence on Ed? Ed has played on our sympathies, and allowed our hopes to swell knowing all the while that what we thought was happening wasn't. That's no way to treat anyone you respect, even if they're 'just a fan'.

I never used to think these things about Ed. Even after he did the same things 5 years ago. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I still respected him. Not anymore. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There's no sympathy this time around.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

That's more specific than I intended. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My questions were meant to be rhetorical; I really wasn't asking for answers. I took from your use of "harp" and "who are we to disparage" to mean that you thought I should stop making my point. All I was saying in return was, I know my point is useless, and not of any bearing on what DLR will ultimately do. And your words about Eddie will ultimately have no bearing on what he does. We all know that these guys are running on their own set of values.

Perhaps I misread your tone initially. I think my point is a valid one, as I think yours is. No problem as far as I can see. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If I didn't enjoy discussing things with you, I wouldn't do it, Glenn. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I do wish Dave would play more of his solo stuff, but I can't see it as being any less of playing on the past than the VH stuff. Dave really doesn't have anything current or available to push. I don't think I'll ever get to hear very much of his solo work live, which is a shame because I really think some of it rivals his VH work.

I'm sure that folks will jump on me for my views of Ed, and that's ok. Let them worship him a little longer before they start to feel the same way.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

All of these were great posts guys. I for one think if Dave wants to do nothing but VH material, good for him. Maybe he just likes to do that stuff more than his own stuff. As far as Eddie goes, I think he has handled all of the reunion hoopla very badly. The man has to know how bad the fans want/wanted a reunion with Dave. We recently find out that there hasn't been anything going on with that for nearly a year now. Obviously, it didn't work out with Dave last year, what would have been the harm in him telling us that LAST YEAR instead of recently? If I'm not mistaken, didn't Dave tell us that first anyway? That makes me wonder if Dave wouldn't have told us first, would Eddie have ever told us? I think all of us would still be thinking that the reunion is on, the new album is coming out this Fall, the tour, etc. I think any news we hear from here on out will be from Dave first. In spite of what some people may think, I honestly believe that Eddie could care less about the fans. He sure isn't doing anything to make me reconsider that.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hammered65:
    I honestly believe that Eddie could care less about the fans. He sure isn't doing anything to make me reconsider that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I agree
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Perhaps I'm so vehement about this because I really believe that the DLR/VH reunion is done on any creative level, and can only be salvaged at this point by money. If I'm right about that, I'd like to see Eddie step up to the plate and pull the plug on it. Stop dragging it out.

And the last half of my initial post here was directed at a couple of posts I've read since yesterday that have basically said, not that Dave isn't going to concentrate on solo stuff, but that he can't concentrate on solo stuff. I get the distinct feeling that people think he's DEAD without the VH tunes behind him. That's what I'm trying to understand in relation to what Sammy does now.

I think it's a terrible thing if Dave can't get by on his solo work. I believe he can, though it would obviously require commitment from Dave, which he's in control of, and the open minds of rock fans, which he's not in control of.

Of course, it all depends on where he's headed, and he quite likely isn't sure of that himself. I'm interested to know what his intentions would be if the VH thing falls through. Personally I think he has the talent, the drive, the personality, and the skill at picking musicians to make another go at his solo career. I get the feeling I'm one of the few that believes that though.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm not sure Dave has the drive anymore. He hasn't made a good album in 10 years, and hasn't toured behind his material in 5-6 years. I think he gets distracted easily.

Like I said in the touring thread, I think he could sell theaters of 1-2,000 if he put out a new album. Doing mostly his material, like Sammy.

With the current musical climate I don't think he could do any better than that.

As for being good at picking musicians, he certainly used to be. I think that was because good musicians were drawn to him due to his success and stature in the industry. Everything since ALAE has been downhill, musically.

DLR Band (touring) was specifically built to play VH tunes. That's what Bart Walsh has specialized in for quite some time now. Todd Jensen had the pipes that would be needed to sing the backing portions.

Part of why he's doing VH has to be a lack of confidence that his band can learn many of the solo tunes in such a small timeframe. There's only 3 weeks until the first show, so maybe that was a consideration.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Now that I think about it, much of ALAE had both lead and rythym guitar parts. Would he add an additional employee just to play a few songs from an album that is no longer in print?