Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Taken from http://www.metaledgeonline.com/members/index2.shtml

A showcase by cool new band Floor at the Gig in Hollywood on Saturday night drew a number of rock celebs, including Billy Sheehan, (so we hear) David Lee Roth, and ex-Warrant guitarist Joey Allen, who's doing quite well as a computer technician. Sheehan, currently working on his solo record, will play with his jazz-fusion band Niacin at the Baked Potato in Hollywood on December 15 and 16, and plans to attend the annual NAMM show on January 18-21 in Anaheim, California to promote new signature products for his various endorsement companies.

Sheenan AND Roth? Hmmm

------------------
    "He who knows how will always work for he who knows why."- David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Sheehan, currently working on his solo record. Also note 'so we hear'.. meaning the reporter wasnt even there

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I get the distinct impression from Billy Sheehan that it would be highly unlikely that he would ever work closely with Dave again.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It doesn't take the ears of a genius, and this may have already been pointed out and/or be common knowledge, but it is obvious to me that the player referred to as B'urbon Bob in the DLR Band liner notes is none other than Billy Sheehan. His playing is simplified, but he has a very distinctive tone and I'm certain it is him. So, having said that, and hearing that DLR may be coming out with a new album, it doesn't surprise me that perhaps they were at an event hanging out, assuming that Billy is still on the bass. Although I doubt Sheehan will take such a backseat role on another DLR album...

P.S.
    If it is true that Billy Sheehan did play on the DLR Band album, it should dispel the B.S. notion that he can't lay back and be a support player. Just because the guy has unbelievable chops, doesn't mean he can't play a traditional bottom-end support role.

2nd P.S.
    Glenn:
    I read a relatively recent interview of Sheehan (1999 I believe) where he says he gets along with Dave, there are no hard feelings, and he wouldn't rule out playing with him again. This was the same interview where Billy said he and Dave got together for a drink and Billy had to pick up the tab.

------------------
    First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.

Galactic Cowboys Let It Go
    King's X Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous

Later, VHDOF

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm not musician savvy enough to listen to DLR Band and comment on whether that's Billy Sheehan playing the bass. Having said that, if it was him, I'm very surprised it hasn't been mentioned alot before.

I take your word on that interview, but everytime I've seen Billy comment (which, granted, isn't that often) he really comes off like he's saying the right things, but wouldn't want to work with Dave in the same manner as previously. It's no secret that Billy was very disappointed with the sound of Skyscraper, and that led to his departure from the EEAS Band. Maybe Dave has changed, but I get the impression that Billy wanted the band to have equal say, but that didn't work because Dave was, and was happy to be, the leader.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Billy Sheehan did NOT play on the DLR Band album. That was Hartman and Lowery playing the bass parts. Sheehan can't stand Dave. None of the old guys can. They just have too much class to say it in publications.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I had gotten the impression from some post I'd seen somewhere that B'urbon Bob was Mike Hartman and John Lowery (kinda like the Stones being "Nanker Phelps" i guess)

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

And the post I was referring to wasn't the post above mine (freaky, man!)

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well guys, I could be wrong, but I try not to doubt my ears. There is a big difference in the tone of the bass players on the songs listed as being played by Lowery and Hartman, and the songs that list the player as B'urbon Bob. The B'urbon Bob songs definitely sound like a finger-player, not a pick player, and I would be surprised if Lowery and/or Hartman can play bass like that w/o a pick.

Regardless, work is work, and it happens all the time: contractual problems prevent listing the real name of a player on an album, so you come up with a psuedonym, and payment is administered 'under the table'. Billy is a kick-ass session player, and can get the job done quickly with great results.

Has the true identity of B'urbon Bob ever been legitimately revealed, or is it just through rumors that Hartman and/or Lowery have been given the credit?

------------------
    First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.

Galactic Cowboys Let It Go
    King's X Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous

Later, VHDOF

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VHDOF:

Has the true identity of B'urbon Bob ever been legitimately revealed, or is it just through rumors that Hartman and/or Lowery have been given the credit?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I sent Billy Sheehan an email asking him about this. I've emailed him twice before and gotten replies each time, so if he replies, I'll post what his answer was here.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.13.14 @ 04:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

vhnd.com: In the liner notes for DLR Band there is a guy named "Burbon Bob" playing bass. Is that an alias for you and John Lowery?

Mike Hartman: Yep, John and I. It was more of a time factor in the studio I guess. That's all I can say. It was fun though, I don't really think about it much anymore, my career is doing great as a solo artist. I hope to sell about 60 thousand in a years time. That is good for instrumental stuff. I also am doing more film stuff.
    http://www.vhnd.com/interviews/990305mikehartman.shtml

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

B'urbon Bob on the DLR Band cd was actually two people and neither one of them are Billy Sheehan. Sorry VHDOF, I know this for a fact. It was Mike Hartman and John Lowery.

------------------
    DLR Army webmaster

http://www.dlrarmy.com

[This message has been edited by BrownSound1 (edited November 13, 2000 at 03:27 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only "true" bass player on DLRBand was Tom Lilly, a renowned session bass player. He played before with jazz acts like T Lavitz, Vital Information...

------------------
    Right Now How Many Say I Can't Get This Stuff No More - ddregs

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.21.13 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beat me to it! B'urbon Bob is definitely not Billy Sheehan. According to Mike Hartman (RIP), Bob was Mike on Mike's songs and ditto for John's songs.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So anyhow...how bout Dave being spotted there. Who exactly is reporting that they saw this, anyone know?