On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My younger sister is doing a report on van halens jump for her music class. She needs to know as much info as possible about the song. Please help....thanks.
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Not sure what type of info you're looking for, but off the top of my head

1. Written on the same keyboard that Eddie used to record And The Cradle Will Rock

2. VH's first (and only I think) #1 song

3. Legend has it that Dave (and I've also heard Alex) weren't particularily happy with the song due to it's focus on keyboards

4. Recorded on an Oberheim OBX-A keyboard

5. First single from the 1984 album

6. The guitar solo is spliced, which two parts put together

7. Dave wrote the lyrics (allegedly) after seeing someone threatening to jump off a building

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here's some info about it from the VHE (I didn't type the whole thing, I just scanned it and pasted it):

Parts of "Jump" had originally been written on the back of a tour bus in the late 1970s/early 1980s. However, the band had always felt the song didn't quite fit any of the albums they'd been working on. David Lee Roth and Ted Templeman were the biggest opponents of Ed's keyboard songs and consistently vetoed recording this song for more than two years.

When Ed gained control in the studio by building 5150, he was able to record more with just Alex and Don Landee. One day the three laid down the basic tracks to the song and presented it the following day to Dave, Mike, and Ted. Whether the rest of the band truly loved the song or felt somewhat compelled to record it is not known, but soon Dave was writing lyrics for it.

David wrote the lyrics around a single phrase: "go ahead and jump." He came up with the line after watching the news and seeing a man on top of the Arco Tower threatening to commit suicide. The vocalist thought that there's always at least one person in the crowd telling the guy to" go ahead and jump."

Ed recorded the song using an Oberheim OBX-A keyboard. The solo was spliced together from at least two different takes. The ending of the song has a history all its own. The main riff for "Top of the World" was written around the ending of "jump." However, the ending of "jump" had also been heard before during the 1983 Us Festival when Ed played it at the end of "Dance the Night
    Away."

"Jump" spent 5 weeks at #1 on the charts. The single was certified gold on 4/03/84.

The video for "Jump" (the first from 1984), produced by Robert Lombard and directed by Pete Angelus, debuted on 12/31/83. It was filmed using 16mm hand-held cameras at The Complex in Santa Monica, CA. The entire cost for the video was a little more than $6,000 (though David Lee Roth liked to claim the total cost was only $600).

The video version of the song differed slightly from the album version. Sharp-eyed viewers will also notice Edward's keyboard is quite dusty, proof that it's the music that's most important, not the image.

Sharp-eyed viewers will also notice Edward's keyboard is quite dusty, proof that it's the music that's most important, not the image.

When it came time for Sammy Hagar to sing the song in concert on the 5150 tour, he used to pull a person out of the crowd to sing for him. After this tour he was comfortable enough to sing it on his own.

Aztec Camera recorded an acoustic version of the song as a B-side to their "All I Need Is Everything" single and later included it on their live album, Backwards and Forwards, and on the compilation album, Retrospect. When Aztec Camera performed the song live, vocalist Roddy Frame would introduce it as "an American folk song about girls who commit suicide."

"Jump" was also on an Australian compilation album named Throbbin' '84, released at the beginning of 1984.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Glenn is correct saying Jump is the 1st #1 song for VH.
    I also remember that in the video, that the keyboard was VERY dusty when Eddie was playing the "solo".
    I also heard/read that DLR was unhappy with a keyboard song because people wanted to hear Eddie play guitar, NOT keyboards!! He is a guitar hero..but he IS a beautiful musician!!!
    Just go for it!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here is some more info (http://www.angelfire.com/rock/vanhalen/1984.html):

The "Jump" single has sold over 3 millon copies.

Eddie identified the guitar solo as the one he is most proud of.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.05.07 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Dan Halen...
    "The video version of the song differed slightly from the album version."

In what ways???
    I never paid close attention to tell the difference except that Dave yells "ah-oh-oh"
    somewhere towards the end....

What other differences..?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was the only #1 single on the POP charts; they have had 11 #1's (i think) on the mainstream rock charts since its creation.

The overdubbed guitar during the ending of the song was transposed to E Major and used as the basis for Top of the World in 1991.

I think it was recorded with an Oberheim OB-8, not an OBX-A, but I could be mistaken. And since I'm disagreeing with Glenn on such a matter, I am apt to be wrong.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VHeruption:
    Hey Dan Halen...
    "The video version of the song differed slightly from the album version."

In what ways???
    I never paid close attention to tell the difference except that Dave yells "ah-oh-oh"
    somewhere towards the end....

What other differences..?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not too sure, I just took that information from the Van Halen Encyclopedia. The difference you pointed out is the only one I can think of. Maybe Glenn knows?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm with the majority here. The only difference I've ever noticed in Jump between the song and the video version is Dave doing the scream.

That scream is cool, and should have been on the studio version in my opinion. I wonder how it came to be on the video version like that.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Statutory, DIF, statutory [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Can it also be said that Jump has been played at every show on every tour since 1984? I wouldn't know from experience, but it seems to be a mainstay of the live show.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A lyrical note (from the official published music) ...not that this will help your sister, but...

When it sounds like Dave is "singing" something like 'whoah! who said that?' He's actually saying "How old are you? Who said that?"

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edward Van Halen:
    My younger sister is doing a report on van halens jump for her music class. She needs to know as much info as possible about the song. Please help....thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your younger sister rocks, bro! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The kids will get their learn on about good music, thanks to her. I hope she aces the report.

(And, uh... just how "young" is she? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/singles.html

Few more snippets of info if you follow the link, plus the cover art for the single.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eeez the seat back:
    When it sounds like Dave is "singing" something like 'whoah! who said that?' He's actually saying "How old are you? Who said that?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, if v-h.com is to be trusted, he says, "Ow-oh! Hey, you! Who said that?"
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."