Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

05.22.20 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 1,171 Times in 751 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The one element I just really didn't think about that really could be going on is one of trust.

I don't know that the brothers ever didn't trust Dave. They didn't/don't like him, whatever, but did they ever have cause to not trust him? I don't think so. In a small way, maybe by 1984 they didn't believe he had the best interests of VH in mind, but that's not really trust.

On the other hand, trust could absolutely be their issue with Sam, especially with the $$ stuff underlying it. Trust issues are almost impossible to overcome. IF it's trust, then yeah, that makes it even more unlikely. I mean, we don't really know that's what it is, but I kind of think it very well might be.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 2,733 Times in 1,518 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Boy, does Rolling Stone love Sammy these days, another interview with him after the one from yesterday:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-tour-1001675/

“Eddie had a lot of health issues, but I heard he got it together,” says Hagar. “I pray for the guy and I love the guy”

David Lee Roth caused mild panic in the Van Halen fan community late last year when he told the press that the band was “finished” as he announced plans for his Las Vegas residency and solo tour with Kiss. Former frontman Sammy Hagar hasn’t spoken directly to Eddie Van Halen since the conclusion of their 2004 reunion tour, but talking to Rolling Stone, he has a different take than Roth’s assessment.

“Until Ed or Alex Van Halen die, they’re not finished,” he tells Rolling Stone. “Those are two great musicians that can friggin’ do as good as most people at half-mast. As a drummer and as a guitarist and creative person, Eddie, I can’t see them ever being finished. I wish they were more active, but I think Van Halen will never be finished.

“If they want to get it together, they just have to call Dave or have to call Sammy,” he adds. “They can go out with [Van Halen’s son] Wolfie as a trio, but that’s not the legacy of Van Halen. I think they know that. I’m not predicting what’s going to happen, but I would tell you if there’s concerts next year, Van Halen will probably be on tour next year.”

Last year, former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony revealed that he spoke to Roth’s manager along with Irving Azoff, Eddie and Alex Van Halen’s manager, about a reunion tour. “From what I’ve heard, and I haven’t spoken to any of the guys [in the band], they were gonna try to plan a thing for this summer [of 2019],” he said. “And for whatever reason… I was never… My people were never… They never got in touch with us about any kind of a contract or any kind of a meeting to discuss or whatever. And the next thing I knew, the plug got pulled on it.”

Hagar tells Rolling Stone that he also heard about a 2019 reunion tour from a representative for the band. “I was asked through other people in my management to see if that would happen,” he says. “The camps talked about it and Live Nation asked about it. It came and went because Ed got sick. I don’t know exactly what happened to him, but I think he had back surgery.”

The exact state of Eddie Van Halen’s health has been the source of much speculation in the past year, but the guitarist has yet to comment on the situation publicly. “Eddie had a lot of health issues, but I heard he got it together,” says Hagar. “I pray for the guy and I love the guy.”

The classic Van Halen lineup of 1974 to 1984 hasn’t performed together since the conclusion of the 1984 tour. Original frontman David Lee Roth did return to the band in 2007, but Anthony was replaced on bass by Eddie’s son Wolfgang. “My dream tour is the Sam and Dave tour with Ed, Al and Mike.” says Hagar. ‘Let Wolfie put his band together and open. I have a son, Andrew Hagar, who makes great music. Let Andrew open, let Wolfie play with his band in the middle and then have the Sam and Dave tour where we do an hour each. An hour with Dave songs and an hour with me.”

The logistics of a Sam and Dave tour might be hard to work out. They went out together as solo acts in 2002, but there was so much tension backstage, an actual wall had to be erected at certain venues to keep them apart. At no point did they appear onstage at the same time.

“If Dave wants to come out together, we can do that,” says Hagar. “But of course he wouldn’t want to do that, so I couldn’t care less if I even saw the guy. The truth of the matter is, for the fans, and just for me to be a part of that, I want to to walk out there every night and do the best of Van Hagar and have him do the best of that era. That’s a good a tour as anyone would ever do on the planet and it’s for the Van Halen fans. I love making people happy. And it would make me happy.”

Right now, it’s impossible to know when any major rock act can hit the road, let alone a Van Halen reunion. And predicting future events in the world of Van Halen has always been an impossibility. All that said, Hagar remains very optimistic.

“I foresee it happening,” he says. “I’m not trying to plant a seed like I know something is happening. I know nothing. I just know what I know in my heart and my head, which is that it has to happen. Whether it’s Sam and Dave or not, I don’t know that either. But I know that Eddie and I are not done. If enough water goes under the bridge before we die, it’ll happen. It has to. God is going to slap us both around if he has to.”

Last year, former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony revealed that he spoke to Roth’s manager along with Irving Azoff, Eddie and Alex Van Halen’s manager, about a reunion tour. “From what I’ve heard, and I haven’t spoken to any of the guys [in the band], they were gonna try to plan a thing for this summer [of 2019],” he said. “And for whatever reason… I was never… My people were never… They never got in touch with us about any kind of a contract or any kind of a meeting to discuss or whatever. And the next thing I knew, the plug got pulled on it.”

Hagar tells Rolling Stone that he also heard about a 2019 reunion tour from a representative for the band. “I was asked through other people in my management to see if that would happen,” he says. “The camps talked about it and Live Nation asked about it. It came and went because Ed got sick. I don’t know exactly what happened to him, but I think he had back surgery.”

The exact state of Eddie Van Halen’s health has been the source of much speculation in the past year, but the guitarist has yet to comment on the situation publicly. “Eddie had a lot of health issues, but I heard he got it together,” says Hagar. “I pray for the guy and I love the guy.”

The classic Van Halen lineup of 1974 to 1984 hasn’t performed together since the conclusion of the 1984 tour. Original frontman David Lee Roth did return to the band in 2007, but Anthony was replaced on bass by Eddie’s son Wolfgang. “My dream tour is the Sam and Dave tour with Ed, Al and Mike.” says Hagar. ‘Let Wolfie put his band together and open. I have a son, Andrew Hagar, who makes great music. Let Andrew open, let Wolfie play with his band in the middle and then have the Sam and Dave tour where we do an hour each. An hour with Dave songs and an hour with me.”

The logistics of a Sam and Dave tour might be hard to work out. They went out together as solo acts in 2002, but there was so much tension backstage, an actual wall had to be erected at certain venues to keep them apart. At no point did they appear onstage at the same time.

“If Dave wants to come out together, we can do that,” says Hagar. “But of course he wouldn’t want to do that, so I couldn’t care less if I even saw the guy. The truth of the matter is, for the fans, and just for me to be a part of that, I want to to walk out there every night and do the best of Van Hagar and have him do the best of that era. That’s a good a tour as anyone would ever do on the planet and it’s for the Van Halen fans. I love making people happy. And it would make me happy.”

Right now, it’s impossible to know when any major rock act can hit the road, let alone a Van Halen reunion. And predicting future events in the world of Van Halen has always been an impossibility. All that said, Hagar remains very optimistic.

“I foresee it happening,” he says. “I’m not trying to plant a seed like I know something is happening. I know nothing. I just know what I know in my heart and my head, which is that it has to happen. Whether it’s Sam and Dave or not, I don’t know that either. But I know that Eddie and I are not done. If enough water goes under the bridge before we die, it’ll happen. It has to. God is going to slap us both around if he has to.”

Boy howdy!
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

05.23.20 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 2,728 Times in 1,287 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    The one element I just really didn't think about that really could be going on is one of trust.

I don't know that the brothers ever didn't trust Dave. They didn't/don't like him, whatever, but did they ever have cause to not trust him? I don't think so. In a small way, maybe by 1984 they didn't believe he had the best interests of VH in mind, but that's not really trust.

On the other hand, trust could absolutely be their issue with Sam, especially with the $$ stuff underlying it. Trust issues are almost impossible to overcome. IF it's trust, then yeah, that makes it even more unlikely. I mean, we don't really know that's what it is, but I kind of think it very well might be.
    Good point -- I think at the end of the day they know what they have in Dave and while they don't like his personality, he is who he is. MAYBE a money issue came up, or usage of the VH songs, but I tend to agree that the difference between the Dave and Sam issues are a matter of trust.

As for ADKOT, I don't think two songs from 2012, with 5-6 re-workings of unreleased songs from 35-40 yrs ago and another 3-4 somewhat new from 12 years earlier is all that bad for a group that was essentially apart for 30 years.

It's the next album that I would think needed more new shit, now that they were back together. Maybe 4-5 new songs and use 6-7 leftovers from the ADKOT sessions. It obviously didn't happen -- I'm just defending ADKOT's lack of 2012 written songs more than anything.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 06:51 PM
    Liked 1,200 Times in 782 Posts

This from 2012 about sums it up for me, when it comes to Sam seemingly keeping his VH dream going.

"I'm happy now when somebody sends me a video of those guys in concert," remarked former singer Sammy Hagar, "and I see Eddie's playing good again. I wish that would have been the guy that did the 2004 tour. If it was, we probably still would have been together."

And I couldn't blame him then and I can't now. Sammy certainly got the short end of the stick when it came to Edward and Reunions.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

8. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 2,793 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    This from 2012 about sums it up for me, when it comes to Sam seemingly keeping his VH dream going.

"I'm happy now when somebody sends me a video of those guys in concert," remarked former singer Sammy Hagar, "and I see Eddie's playing good again. I wish that would have been the guy that did the 2004 tour. If it was, we probably still would have been together."

And I couldn't blame him then and I can't now. Sammy certainly got the short end of the stick when it came to Edward and Reunions.
    Without a doubt. It’s like the evil Superman in Superman III. Thankfully Eddie got back to his normal self after 2004.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 113 Times in 58 Posts

Sam has got to be bullshitting for headlines if he seriously said he thinks a reunion will happen. He's 72 going on 73. Eddie and Alex, even with Eddie in poor health, will not even speak to Sammy let alone play with him. It's over. The most us Hagar era fans can wish for is to someday hear the FUCK outakes/Between Us Two. But I think it's a fair assumption Eddie has already destroyed the Sammy stuff in the vault.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Default Sammy Hagar: "Van Halen will never be finished!"

Sam’s voice would also need all the songs to be tuned down quite a bit to the point that the songs and Ed’s guitar wouldn’t sound or play the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 05:29 PM
    Liked 1,097 Times in 608 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Sam has got to be bullshitting for headlines if he seriously said he thinks a reunion will happen. He's 72 going on 73. Eddie and Alex, even with Eddie in poor health, will not even speak to Sammy let alone play with him. It's over. The most us Hagar era fans can wish for is to someday hear the FUCK outakes/Between Us Two. But I think it's a fair assumption Eddie has already destroyed the Sammy stuff in the vault.
    Based on history including reunions with Dave and Sam with no attempt to reconcile relationships beyond “let’s just ignore it and move forward.” I disagree. Even in the middle of the 2015 tour, a clear headed Eddie said point blank Dave wasn’t his friend and Dave didn’t want to be. Yet they finished one of their better tours in more than 2 decades. Not saying it’s definitely happening but you can never predict what this band will do.

Also do you really believe Eddie would destroy music out of spite with Sam, or was that figuratively?

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 07:47 PM
    Liked 14,802 Times in 8,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Yeah, that ship has long sailed, imo.

All these guys are way up there, especially Sam.

And by the time you get the tour rolling, forget about it...
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

05.23.20 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 2,728 Times in 1,287 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe but it's a little disingenuous when you consider that Sam was the one who showed up unannounced at 5150, saw what a mess Ed was, and still thought "let me get him to play"

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Default Sammy Hagar: "Van Halen will never be finished!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    Maybe but it's a little disingenuous when you consider that Sam was the one who showed up unannounced at 5150, saw what a mess Ed was, and still thought "let me get him to play"
    That’s completely fair but he didn’t show up unannounced. To your point though, If I’m Sammy, I probably tell Azoff, “No fucking way. This guy needs to clean up first.” That’s a good point.

The fact that Mike gave up his rights to the VH name to be a part of THAT tour makes the whole thing even more bittersweet. If anybody has a right to feel slighted or be truly bitter, it’s Mike. The fact over the last 16 years, he hasn’t exhibited any bitterness or resentment is truly remarkable and it speaks to the kind of person he is.

Meanwhile, in 2004 The Bros were still pissed and bitter about the fact they fucked up their stake in Cabo Wabo.

So fucking ridiculous.

Last edited by MF5150; 05.23.20 at 12:11 PM.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 1,027 Times in 550 Posts

Donor

Sam’s voice would also need all the songs to be tuned down quite a bit to the point that the songs and Ed’s guitar wouldn’t sound or play the same.

Why? They're tuned down lower than that for Dave since 2007...hell, since the beginning, and sound just fine.
    I doubt Sam would need them that low, but if he did, the guitar would sound fine.

Us hardcore fans might notice, but the average fan who shows up and says "Who's the singer this time?" won't know the difference.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Last Online

05.24.20 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 177 Times in 77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Why? They're tuned down lower than that for Dave since 2007...hell, since the beginning, and sound just fine.
    I doubt Sam would need them that low, but if he did, the guitar would sound fine.

Us hardcore fans might notice, but the average fan who shows up and says "Who's the singer this time?" won't know the difference.
    To my ears, the CVH songs 2007 and forward are all played in their original key. I've played guitar since '76 and figured out a number of these songs back in the day and notice these things. The original key is a half-step down. Oddly enough, since 2007 with Dave, Jump is played a full step higher in D. (Possibly also with Gary in '98?) Probably since it's easier for Ed to noodle around on guitar in D versus C. It can sound unusual when songs are dropped a full step. Led Zep did that with a few of the O2 show live songs. Most people won't notice. Your last sentence couldn't be more true! When I was at the 2012 show in AC, something like tenth row center stage, the guy beside me said his girlfriend bought the tickets as a present. He asked me point blank, who is singing, Sammy? lol

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 17,666 Times in 7,793 Posts

It seems like over the years Van Halen has played Jump in like every single key. But yes I agree that they do it in D because it’s easier to do guitar stuff in D.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

22. The Following Member Likes This Post: