Van Halen II or 1984? - Page 4
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Van Halen II or 1984?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Van Halen II

11 55.00%

9 45.00%
Save
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 10:04 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I feel the same, JD. I still recall the summers of '79 and '82 and jamming them, hearing them on the radio.
    With the exception of WACF and I... they all give me some summer vibes. I recall FW that summer and everyone being in awe of it. 1984, all summer. But, really, Drop Dead Legs is the only that gives me that summer feeling. Maybe cuz they didn't start playing it till much later.

I just love how all the records are different. I love that there's a WACF and a VHI that are nothing like those records and they just melt your brain.
    I do always think of summer with GGB, because of the "lazy eyes in the summer heat" line and also because of how many times I watched the US Fest SGMAD jam, knowing that Memorial Day weekend was blistering hot when the Fest took place.

2. I Coulda Hada VH, PrideofPasadena thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Today @ 09:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I do always think of summer with GGB, because of the "lazy eyes in the summer heat" line and also because of how many times I watched the US Fest SGMAD jam, knowing that Memorial Day weekend was blistering hot when the Fest took place.
    Don't forget "ICM," with "Summertime's here, babe..."

Yet, i don't consider VH I as summery as II & Diver, despite that song.

Heavy metal: On Fire, Atomic Punk

Pop tinged: Jamie, Little Dreamer

Summertime: ICM, Feel your love

Hard rock swagger: Devil, ATBL

Boogie: I'm the one
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 10:04 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Don't forget "ICM," with "Summertime's here, babe..."

Yet, i don't consider VH I as summery as II & Diver, despite that song.

Heavy metal: On Fire, Atomic Punk

Pop tinged: Jamie, Little Dreamer

Summertime: ICM, Feel your love

Hard rock swagger: Devil, ATBL

Boogie: I'm the one
    Lol, yep.

That's a pretty good synopsis of the debut styles. Although everybody knows the only true HEAVY METAL band was the Beatles.

5. japeape thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Today @ 09:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Lol, yep.

That's a pretty good synopsis of the debut styles. Although everybody knows the only true HEAVY METAL band was the Beatles.
    If the Beatles are the Heavy Metal originators, Van Halen are Norwegian Black Metal.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

7. JUNGLE DRUMMER, PrideofPasadena thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Default Van Halen II or 1984?

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    GnR had Jungle/Sweet Child/Paradise City but the best comp, and I know how you guys love Bon Jovi, is probably Bad Name/Living on a Prayer/Wanted Dead or Alive. That's how big VH was. I know there's the narrative of Sammy made them even bigger, he didn't. They dropped in popularity when Sam joined but he did a great job keeping them close to as big for a long time.
    Interesting. I don’t necessarily agree that they dropped in popularity though. They had back to back to back to back #1 albums and catered to a much wider demo, after Sam joined.

If you’re using album sales as the only barometer than, yes. Roth’s era comes out on top. Not by a country mile, but on top nonetheless.

Just for fun and the inevitable shitstorm that follows ...instead of comparing what Roth did to what Sammy did...for a change let’s assume Roth stays...
    My take is that, had Roth stayed, the follow-up to 1984 would have been a success, obviously. #1 on the charts. The follow-up to that in, say, 88-89 would have been a success as well, I believe. Maybe not #1 but top 5 for sure.

But the second GnR, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and a more commercial Metallica came on the scene popularity would have taken a hit. The VH from the 80’s would come off as inauthentic and disingenuous. Like it or not, VH w/ Sammy and the changes made to the sound arguably set the band up for another 10 years of huge business and success that probably would have only been 3-5 had Dave stayed in the band. They broadened their demographic and not only held a lot of the fans that were there for the Roth years. But they also gained new fans, who weren’t as interested when Roth was in the band or simply didn’t know VH.

I believe if Dave stays in the band, come 1990, VH becomes no different than some of the bigger 80’s hair metal bands trying to adjust to coming out of the decade.

There’s also the huge variable that is the MUSIC that would have been made had Roth stayed. If Roth stays, do they change their sound? Or do they keep up with the same type of sound they had throughout the 80’s? By all accounts, Roth wasn’t willing to go in the direction the band eventually went in when Sammy joined. Does Roth sing a ballad in the 90’s? Or does he come out with a “moment defining” track like Right Now that isn’t written by a hit writer ala Desmond Child? I don’t think so. So, we have to assume that the same sound would have been coming from a Roth-led VH into the 90’s.

I believe that nostalgia factor of Roth would have begun to wear thin on the audience into the 90’s and this was exemplified with his solo career tapering off in the early 90’s. Sammy catered to a wider group of people and also a more grunge/alternative crowd. Arguably, that helped them achieve #1s with FUCK and Balance both in terms of sound and image. Moreso than Dave ever did and ever would have.

This is why, I don’t necessarily agree that they “dropped in popularity”. They sustained and increased their exposure and arguably their business as a whole. I’d also be interested to know the year by year revenues the band pulled in. Cumulating record sales, touring revenue, and merchandising. It would be interesting to see.

And to the regular subjects who will begin to froth because I’m obviously shitting on Roth’s era of VH because I obviously don’t care for that era of VH’s history.

Relax. Have a cream soda. Everything’s gonna be all over within a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MF5150; 04.26.20 at 06:09 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel