Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast
    Last Online

Today @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 5,107 Times in 3,324 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    BTW, not every artist, or band, is good in a live setting.
    And those bands suffer accordingly.

But Van Halen is best served live. Anyone who doesnít know that...doesnít know Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 15,571 Times in 8,533 Posts

Yes, live is best but it does not keep one from understanding what it's about. Recordings move people just as much.
    VHI moved me in 1978. Whether, or not, I saw them live that year wasn't gonna change my opinion of the record, either way.

Of course conductors would kill to see him. We all would. But people can still hear the beauty and genius of it in a recording.

The "initial process"? The guy inspired everything, but he, himself, did not play hard rock. Any professor would tell you that. Chuck woulda told you that. You need to revisit the history. You're not gonna find anything saying Chuck's music was hard rock.
    Lmao, you're wasting your time with a pontificating arrogant blowhard, PoP.

Last Online

Donor

YouTube VH fans need not apply.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

Today @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 402 Times in 163 Posts

You're talking about the end of the Beatles. Yes, the late 60's the Beatles did some heavier guitar sounding songs, but they didn't do enough to be hard rock.
    What about the previous years? They were no harder than Chuck Berry.

Yes, they influenced hard rock bands after them but those bands created something different. Way more distortion, guitar solos dominated...they were not the Beatles at all.

I know "rock 101" has deemed them hard rock over the past 25 years but it's wrong. They threw all the 60's stuff into the hard rock category. The Birds, The Animals, Creedence.....it's not accurate.

Of course there's similarities of bands that come after. By that logic Chuck Berry is hard rock cuz that's what the Beatles copied.

The Beatles were great songwriters, they had Martin arranging and recording....they were the benchmark of the era. Of course everyone was gonna copy that. The hard rock bands that followed copied that stuff, not their sound. Thus, they stole all that and put it with a harder sound. Lots of guitar solos....totally different. Hard Rock. LOL.
    I find this whole debate on the sub-genre classifications of rock and roll pretty silly... very few of you, confident experts, are old enough to have been born and grown up during the prime era of many of the artists you are attempting to classify. Majority of these sub-genre concepts are a product of the late 70's and 80's due to the wide swath of rock and pop music then...

For those of us who were old enough to have experienced the explosive music scene of the 60's and 70's more familiar terms such as Top 40's, Rockabilly, Motown, Surf Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Folk Rock and plain ole Rock... were genres back then. In the 60's thru early 70's live concerts, radio and records were the predominate sources of music. Radio was huge business and still heavily controlled by conservative, large corporate companies.

I recall what was termed "outlaw" radio stations in Northern California popping up in the late 60's/early 70's which would broadcast more of the darker rock material... you wouldn't find a lot of Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and especially early Black Sabbath on any corporate Top 40's stations. Hell even Iron Butterfly, Cream, Bad Company, Mott the Hoople, and others were too dark for popular radio. This format later became known as Album rock... then splintered into a dozen other sub-genres.

The fuckin Beatles were never "Hard Rock"... they were just simply Rock-n-Roll...
    Last edited by Zahzoo; 04.10.20 at 07:25 AM.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...

5. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 8,790 Times in 4,480 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Nobody said someone couldnít understand the music from the records. Somebody said the music was at its most powerful live. By proxy that means folks who saw the artist live know something that folks who didnít see them live can never know because they didnít experience it personally. You just agreed with that. So I dunno why you keep harping about something you already affirmed, unless you just like arguing same page rhetoric which is kind of redundant.

Recordings canít replicate visceral actual interactive artist-audience symbiosis.

You either get that or you donít.
    I think the issue folks are having VS is that they are somehow less of a fan than you because you saw them in 1981. Thatís crap man. I have only seen VH proper with Sammy. Every tour since 1991. And the corresponding tours with Gary and Dave. Does that make me somehow less of a fan? I was born in 1979. Should I be penalized because I was born late?

Seeing VH from a YouTube clip is something that some of us could only do. Still feel the energy. Just donít get the contact high.

Weíre all still fans. This isnít a competition. Just enjoy the memories and the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 7,439 Times in 3,875 Posts

I laugh at all this "Beatles were hard rock" and classifications all together. Throughout history genres of composers or bands have changed based on the person reviewing said group or person. Take Black Sabbath. Genres change as more time goes on.

Anybody remember the term Acid Rock? How often do you hear it now? Not often at all. However I know my uncles who are in their 80's and 70's talk about music, will refer to Hendrix, Deep Purple, The Doors, Janis, etc as "Acid Rock" They lived through that time yet today its referred to as "Classic Rock"

How many of you refer to orchestral music as "classical" A bunch probably. That was actually a period of time from Bach's death to about 1810/20. Mozart was a true classical composer. Beethoven kind of a bridge between that and Romantic. However some people believe Mozart to be the first Romantic composer since he worked with the same concepts as later composers. You can drive yourself crazy.

To some VH is heavy metal. Sammy Hagar wrote a song called Heavy Metal. Neither are to us. To a REM fan though they may both be.

9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 1,031 Times in 552 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

To some VH is heavy metal. Sammy Hagar wrote a song called Heavy Metal. Neither are to us. To a REM fan though they may both be.
    I'd like to point out that for a time, artists like Sammy solo and Van Halen WERE considered "heavy metal".

That was before bands like Metallica and Megadeth that were considered "Thrash" in the beginning began to have the term "Heavy Metal" applied to them, and then your Van Halens and AC/DC's became "Hard Rock".

Now I'd submit that Metallica is borderline "Hard Rock" with the way they went and the way Heavy Metal has gone to the talentless, utter crap of the Cookie Monster vocal styles.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,634 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Better?

That was actually real well done, too, in addition to being awesome for obvious reasons.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 14,884 Times in 8,145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    I loved the extended one with him in the fat suit.

The one where he's just sitting there making faces before the band starts playing, my friends and I used to copy that all the time, lol

And looking back, Dave was basically a hair band post-VH. Which is fine, I liked them, too
    It's weird how even Ozzy kinda went that route.

"Flying High again" came on, and it just sounded so metallic & old school (in a good way),
    and like a rebellious/stoner anthem.
    Then they played "Shot in the dark," a good tune, but it sounded so glossy & big hair,
    by comparison.

I was reading Martin Popoff's views on albums (Martin is a metal/hard rock historian & writer),
    and he talks about Scorpions "Love at first sting" being their very first KISS album.

It's just interesting how the tide had turned, and even Judas Priest was going hair,
    with "Turbo."
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 14,884 Times in 8,145 Posts

Yeah, WZLX plays Metallica constantly (classic rock station), but only, Sandman, Nothing else matters,
    Roam & Unforgiven.
    They draw the line with the Black album & Load, no Master of Puppets.

I also remember being in 5th grade and talking about AC/DC.
    My teacher, this semi hip woman, laughed & said: A little young to be listening to Acid Rock?

I remember thinking, WTF, is Acid Rock?

Then, shortly after, there was this instructional book on guitar that had a chapter
    on Acid Rock.

I thought it was like an early name for Stoner rock, because they featured a pic of Sabbath.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 29,483 Times in 14,917 Posts

The bands like Rush that don't follow trends are rare. Most are interested in keeping the party going for as long as they can. Can't really fault them.

If I'm looking at my W-2 getting cut in half, I might consider putting on spandex and using AquaNet.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I think the issue folks are having VS is that they are somehow less of a fan than you because you saw them in 1981. Thatís crap man. I have only seen VH proper with Sammy. Every tour since 1991. And the corresponding tours with Gary and Dave. Does that make me somehow less of a fan? I was born in 1979. Should I be penalized because I was born late?

Seeing VH from a YouTube clip is something that some of us could only do. Still feel the energy. Just donít get the contact high.

Weíre all still fans. This isnít a competition. Just enjoy the memories and the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But I did not say that whatsoever. And I was quite clear about that. Itís not rocket science. How can you know how an event truly felt and transpired in real time if you werenít there in person? You canít. Nobody can. Including me. I cannot attest to the wonder or power of Van Halenís club days. I wasnít there. I know guys that were. They have something in their Van Halen toolbox that I do not. Does that make me less of a fan? No. Does it make me a fan that canít know what that was like? Yes.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 15,571 Times in 8,533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Yeah, WZLX plays Metallica constantly (classic rock station), but only, Sandman, Nothing else matters,
    Roam & Unforgiven.
    They draw the line with the Black album & Load, no Master of Puppets.

I also remember being in 5th grade and talking about AC/DC.
    My teacher, this semi hip woman, laughed & said: A little young to be listening to Acid Rock?

I remember thinking, WTF, is Acid Rock?

Then, shortly after, there was this instructional book on guitar that had a chapter
    on Acid Rock.

I thought it was like an early name for Stoner rock, because they featured a pic of Sabbath.
    Good grief Nothing Else Matters blows elephant balls. I mean, sure, I dont like Metallica at all anyways, but that song just absolutely sucks ass no matter who it is. It's as bad as that dreadful November Rain by GnR being on constant rotation on rock radio up here.
    Last edited by JUNGLE DRUMMER; 04.10.20 at 10:24 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 26,896 Times in 15,318 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Good grief Nothing Else Matters blows elephant balls. I mean, sure, I dont like Metallica at all anyways, but that song just absolutely sucks ass no matter who it is. It's as bad as that dreadful November Rain by GnR being on constant rotation on rock radio up here.
    I think Estranged is a much better song than November Rain.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

November Rain is overrated.