Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

05.26.20 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 15,474 Times in 8,471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I feel almost every thread about EVH in a jamming situation will have someone saying "he's recycling." But some of the live jamming in VH was pretty original, like stuff on LWAN. EVH is great playing in VH, but if you put him with jazz cats that always sit in with other players, or with session guys like Luke, he's gonna be less comfortable than those guys. EVH played most/all of his life with his brother, so he's been used to being in his comfort zone.
    The extended jams they did on the 1979 tour shows Ed being brilliant. And he blows Brian May away on the Starfleet Project. The drum/guitar duels between he and Al on SGMAD on the DD tour, particular on the South American run are legendary.

For some reason, when Ed had his short obsession with keyboards in the mid to late 80s, that's when he began relying more on recycled licks and consequently there was a lot less jamming during VH shows.

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

05.26.20 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 1,209 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mister T. View Post
    Is it me, or is Ed's guitar vocabulary the same tired bullshit.... He ceased being creative after F.U.C.K., unless you want to consider VHIII creativity.
    Addressing a couple things in your post.

1. Not sure if it deserves to be called “tired bullshit” but yes, Ed definitely pulls from a select few phrases when he’s jamming off the cuff.

2. Ed stopped being creative after F.U.C.K? Could not disagree more with that. Balance and VHIII were extremely different than prior offerings the band had put out. Once could say his creative juices were flowing the most suiting the sessions for III.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

05.24.20 @ 12:56 AM
    Liked 300 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    ....Once could say his creative juices were flowing the most suiting the sessions for III.

Well, certainly "some juices" were flowing... just not certain they were the creative kind.

Cheers,
    mrC. (",)b
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 4,701 Times in 2,954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Was that the Munsters theme at the beginning?

I have an audio boot of "Fire" from this show that is pretty stellar quality. Wish we had the whole show in that quality.
    LOL. Nice catch, Jedi. It was.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.26.20 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 7,410 Times in 3,861 Posts

Well its actually true that around 5150 period, he started to get lazy with his lead playing. Was just resting on his laurels. Doesn't mean he wasn't creative but any of that was with his rhythm playing and he didn't come up with some cool stuff. However with lead, his least inspired playing was unfortunately during the Sammy years. He dd recycle licks. I mean before FUCK he didn't play guitar for a year. I don't care who you are if you are not pushing yourself, you will get stale. From the 70's up to about 84, he wanted to be a guitar hero. He practiced. He was inspired by Holdsworth. Didn't like Randy Rhoads was getting pub. Then he simply stopped growing as a lead player.

I know people will say "nah, Balance is cool, great playing, etc" Good album but I put his 5150 solo against his Balance solo 7 days a week. He still had his chops. He was just refocused. He just reigned it in. Anyway the guy went from being able to jam with confidence with Holdsworth and May to sounding out of place with John Mellancamp, Sambora, Lukather, etc.

I love the guy but he got lazy. It reflected in his playing over the decades. He picked it back up a bit during VH3 and I think he did some cool stuff on ADKOT like China Town. Think of all the cool shit he did like Eruption, Spanish Fly, intro to Woman in Love, Mean Street, Little Guitars and even the solo to Drop Dead Legs. Where is that on the remaining stuff? Its not because he simply lost his mojo because he stopped trying to push himself.

Its fine. You can still respect what he did. He made his statement but I can't say that there isn't a huge difference with the guy and his playing

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.05.20 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Well its actually true that around 5150 period, he started to get lazy with his lead playing. Was just resting on his laurels. Doesn't mean he wasn't creative but any of that was with his rhythm playing and he didn't come up with some cool stuff. However with lead, his least inspired playing was unfortunately during the Sammy years. He dd recycle licks. I mean before FUCK he didn't play guitar for a year. I don't care who you are if you are not pushing yourself, you will get stale. From the 70's up to about 84, he wanted to be a guitar hero. He practiced. He was inspired by Holdsworth. Didn't like Randy Rhoads was getting pub. Then he simply stopped growing as a lead player.

I know people will say "nah, Balance is cool, great playing, etc" Good album but I put his 5150 solo against his Balance solo 7 days a week. He still had his chops. He was just refocused. He just reigned it in. Anyway the guy went from being able to jam with confidence with Holdsworth and May to sounding out of place with John Mellancamp, Sambora, Lukather, etc.

I love the guy but he got lazy. It reflected in his playing over the decades. He picked it back up a bit during VH3 and I think he did some cool stuff on ADKOT like China Town. Think of all the cool shit he did like Eruption, Spanish Fly, intro to Woman in Love, Mean Street, Little Guitars and even the solo to Drop Dead Legs. Where is that on the remaining stuff? Its not because he simply lost his mojo because he stopped trying to push himself.

Its fine. You can still respect what he did. He made his statement but I can't say that there isn't a huge difference with the guy and his playing
    Part of it is that we all listened to every note he did and everything became familiar. I was told by famous jazz musicians that the best soloists actually only have about 15 licks at most, they just find different ways to mix them up. I think he became bored more than anything. He probably did need to work with other musicians that would push him out of his comfort zone. I'm not a huge Kirk Hammett fan, but he suffered a similar fate. In the 80's he had some really cool parts in his solos and really pushed some boundries with his playing, but in the mid 90's everything became wah pedal blues scale and double stops. I think he too needed to branch out and do something different for his own sanity.

Last Online

03.17.20 @ 01:04 PM
    Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jagerdave View Post
    Part of it is that we all listened to every note he did and everything became familiar. I was told by famous jazz musicians that the best soloists actually only have about 15 licks at most, they just find different ways to mix them up. I think he became bored more than anything. He probably did need to work with other musicians that would push him out of his comfort zone. I'm not a huge Kirk Hammett fan, but he suffered a similar fate. In the 80's he had some really cool parts in his solos and really pushed some boundries with his playing, but in the mid 90's everything became wah pedal blues scale and double stops. I think he too needed to branch out and do something different for his own sanity.
    Check this out... I've pasted this wonderful interview with Eric Johnson at the exact point where they talk about this exact topic of improvising vs. vocabulary.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 4,701 Times in 2,954 Posts

I don't think 5150, or the tour, was recycled stuff. Good Enough, Summer Nights, 5150...those solos sounded fairly fresh too me.
    The OU812 era is where I started to notice it. Especially in a live setting. The same tapping and speed picking stuff was applied to old and new stuff alike.
    From '88 on it didn't change.