Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts

Premium Member

Country, and even jazz players have used Peavey 5150 amps onstage. Just turn the gain down and eq appropriately. Even some metal players use Ed's 5150III amps without switching to the 3rd high gain channel.

Just because a certain amp has lethal amounts of gain/distortion, doesn't mean you have to crank it in that way, although the potential is there if you need it to be . One of the best 5150III demos I ever saw was a guy cranking the 'clean' channel gain up to full, and nailing some of the early VH guitar tones. He didn't even switch over to channels 2 or 3.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    It might not be their first, second or eighth choice but yes, you would know it was SRV or Joe playing through the amp.

Regardless, it shouldn’t matter. If it sounds good to you and inspires you to play better, that is the important thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Country, and even jazz players have used Peavey 5150 amps onstage. Just turn the gain down and eq appropriately. Even some metal players use Ed's 5150III amps without switching to the 3rd high gain channel.

Just because a certain amp has lethal amounts of gain/distortion, doesn't mean you have to crank it in that way, although the potential is there if you need it to be . One of the best 5150III demos I ever saw was a guy cranking the 'clean' channel gain up to full, and nailing some of the early VH guitar tones. He didn't even switch over to channels 2 or 3.
    Thank you both, for your helpful replies!

Quote Originally Posted by mike529 View Post
    "Deluxe;" "Class A;" "Brit Blues;" etc are actually on the thr10C model, not the standard. They don't make it easy do they?
    No they don't!

Quote Originally Posted by mike529 View Post
    Again, sorry if i made this more work than need be, hope it works out for you.
    No apologies needed...in the end, we're talking about an amp - not a life changing situation.

I ventured out this way, because practicing with my old cheap Fender amp was simply no fun. You can't have any fun practicing, of the noises that you're producing sound so bad.

In the end, I am sure I will be happy with the results.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

03.06.20 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Hey NDL,

You will still be able to get clean, jazzy or blues tones from the 10X. You have full control over the tones. Set them how you want !! I have close to 80 presets in my library. I can go from an AC/DC type tone to an SRV tone to a Gary Moore tone just by clicking on the patch in the editor. The when I'm just practicing reading music, I go to a complete clean tone with no effects what so ever.

I think once you get it and install the editor on your computer it will make more sense to you. Watch some YT videos on how to play with the editor and you will see that there really is a lot to offer that should meet your needs.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
    Hey NDL,

You will still be able to get clean, jazzy or blues tones from the 10X. You have full control over the tones. Set them how you want !! I have close to 80 presets in my library. I can go from an AC/DC type tone to an SRV tone to a Gary Moore tone just by clicking on the patch in the editor. The when I'm just practicing reading music, I go to a complete clean tone with no effects what so ever.

I think once you get it and install the editor on your computer it will make more sense to you. Watch some YT videos on how to play with the editor and you will see that there really is a lot to offer that should meet your needs.
    Many thanks for the reply, although I picked up my THR10 this afternoon - not having a full understanding of the patches and whatnot.

The THR10 sounds awesome, all around; I am extremely pleased. And the software...I got to tinkering with it this evening - super easy to edit and add presets. Had I known how easy it was, I wouldve stuck with the X model. Everyone told me the amp was easy to set up, but I thought it was easy considering their advanced skillset, yet I am a beginner, and it's easy.

Again, thanks to all that helped with advice
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel