Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts

Premium Member

Default Hoping That Someone Can Answer My Question BEFORE Tomorrow

I don't wanna piss off the forum mods by opening a second thread on the same topic, but I am hoping that this will catch the attention of someone before tomorrow:

I just bought a used Yamaha THR10X from Guitar Center; the unit will ship out tomorrow morning.

When I got home and looked online, I found out that the THR10X has different settings than the standard issue THR10. I like the "brown sound" settings on the 10X, but the unit does not have several settings that I want - namely the standard sounds on the standard THR10: "Deluxe;" "Class A;" "Brit Blues;" etc

Can I load these sounds onto a 10X, or are they specific to the standard 10 model?

I looked online for answers, and have come up short. If I can't get the standard issue 10 sounds on the 10X, I am going to cancel my order tomorrow, and try to get a standard 10.

If I can load the standard 10 sounds on the 10X, I will keep what I got, as I bought a very nice unit at a good price.

Please clue me in, and thanks for your time
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.27.20 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

Per Yamahas website, it does say that you can download patches and presets, so I wouldn't doubt that you can.

Also, review the return policy for what you ordered from them. It may be that if you can't do it after u take it home, you may be able to return it.

Based on what I read about the THR editor, I'm pretty sure you can. It may be that you will have to simply edit and create your own preset to get it, though. It may not be an option u can download, but can create in the editor.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

I take that back. Inquire with them. I read that the x is more for metal players, and those more classic sounds are offered on the other thr models.

However, the other one I read about that came out at the same time has those presets, but not the higher gain options.

The thr10, not the c or x, if it exists, might have it all if it isna higher model. Seems they split them or something.

If there is a decent return policy, you might want to take it home and play around with it. Otherwise, keep it and get a few pedals in the future to run into it to get the sounds you want in addition to the browns and higher gain options.

Edit: call Yamaha customer service in the morning and ask them before going to pick it up.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I appreciate you offering a hand of help...it looks like each model specializes in certain modes; per Yamaha's website, I can run different patches on different models, but they won't sound the same. For that reason, I am better off with the standard model, than the X.

Again, thanks for your time.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

03.28.20 @ 04:36 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts

After the fact, I realised you did state you were looking for blues and jazz tones. I wondered if maybe I didn't steer you i the wrong direction. I just assummed being in a VH forum that everyoe is chasing his tone primarily. I hope I did't cause you too much trouble. There is also a THR10c model that is geared towards blues and more classic rock tones. Discontiued but avaliable used of course.

I was going to post this video. Starting around 3:20 he gets some nice "non metal" sounds out of the THR10x amp, just by using the volume and pickup selector on his guitar. It does take time to learn how to dial in tones. I own both the THR10 and THR10x....sitting right next to me actually. You do get a bit more flexability with the presets on the THR10 but the better brown 1 and 2 distortion on the x model. It's a trade off unfortuately, i bought both used at good prices so i could make sure which i liked better. I like the x model for me. i can dial in the sounds i want using the brown 1 and clean channels.

Like you i was hoping i could "import" the better distortion sounds from the x to the regular model but it dosen't work that way i found out. The new "mach II" version of the THR line claims to have gotten rid of the need for seperate amps, putting all the tones in one amp.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...modeling-combo

of course at a higher price. Again, I'm sorry if i led you down the wrong path.
    "I think good rock music is more than profanity, screeching vocals, wailing guitars and pounding drums. " Dick Hogan-Music Reviewer

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Haha yea, I was trying to help, but am unfamiliar with them and figured you needed some quick answers from a third party to help decide.

Anyways, the benefit of pedals is still there.

In the future, if you go with then other option, just get a 5150 overdrive pedal and run through the clean channel. Those pedals sound great, look it up on YouTube for some examples. That'll get you some Van Halen sounds without sacrificing the options you want with the other amp model.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike529 View Post
    After the fact, I realised you did state you were looking for blues and jazz tones. I wondered if maybe I didn't steer you i the wrong direction. I just assummed being in a VH forum that everyoe is chasing his tone primarily. I hope I did't cause you too much trouble. There is also a THR10c model that is geared towards blues and more classic rock tones. Discontiued but avaliable used of course.

I was going to post this video. Starting around 3:20 he gets some nice "non metal" sounds out of the THR10x amp, just by using the volume and pickup selector on his guitar. It does take time to learn how to dial in tones. I own both the THR10 and THR10x....sitting right next to me actually. You do get a bit more flexability with the presets on the THR10 but the better brown 1 and 2 distortion on the x model. It's a trade off unfortuately, i bought both used at good prices so i could make sure which i liked better. I like the x model for me. i can dial in the sounds i want using the brown 1 and clean channels.

Like you i was hoping i could "import" the better distortion sounds from the x to the regular model but it dosen't work that way i found out. The new "mach II" version of the THR line claims to have gotten rid of the need for seperate amps, putting all the tones in one amp.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...modeling-combo

of course at a higher price. Again, I'm sorry if i led you down the wrong path.
    No apologies necessary; if it weren't for you, I probably wouldn't have bought the THR at all

So...here's my situation:

The 10X is on it's way to the store, and, long story short, I have to cancel the order in person (if I so choose) once the amp arrives. I got it cheap, and it's in great condition.

I am willing to keep the 10X, but here's where I am at: can I preset blues, jazz, and clean, tones, into the presets? I realize that the patches sound differently on the 10, than they do on the 10X. I don't wanna play with the amp endlessly, to set it up. Realistically, can I set presets into the 10X?

I checked on the yamaha forum, and I get conflicting answers.

So why not chuck the 10X, and get a standard THR 10? Guitar Center's website lists a few models, yet after calling around, one amp is in fair condition; another amp is on the website, but it's misplaced, etc; another used THR10 is in stock, but it's above my price point.

If I can get set up the 10X the way that I want, I'll keep it. My main interests are Halen, Southern Rock, Blues, Jazz, etc

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_279 View Post
    Haha yea, I was trying to help, but am unfamiliar with them and figured you needed some quick answers from a third party to help decide.
    And I greatly appreciate your assistance...thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 04:37 AM
    Liked 203 Times in 109 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    No apologies necessary; if it weren't for you, I probably wouldn't have bought the THR at all

So...here's my situation:

The 10X is on it's way to the store, and, long story short, I have to cancel the order in person (if I so choose) once the amp arrives. I got it cheap, and it's in great condition.

I am willing to keep the 10X, but here's where I am at: can I preset blues, jazz, and clean, tones, into the presets? I realize that the patches sound differently on the 10, than they do on the 10X. I don't wanna play with the amp endlessly, to set it up. Realistically, can I set presets into the 10X?

I checked on the yamaha forum, and I get conflicting answers.

So why not chuck the 10X, and get a standard THR 10? Guitar Center's website lists a few models, yet after calling around, one amp is in fair condition; another amp is on the website, but it's misplaced, etc; another used THR10 is in stock, but it's above my price point.

If I can get set up the 10X the way that I want, I'll keep it. My main interests are Halen, Southern Rock, Blues, Jazz, etc
    If you mean can the 10X do clean - crunch - rock - metal, then the answer is yes. At least, I had no problems dialing in those, and kinda wondered what the other amp had that mine didn't. Of course, the differences may be significant. I don't know.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    If you mean can the 10X do clean - crunch - rock - metal, then the answer is yes. At least, I had no problems dialing in those, and kinda wondered what the other amp had that mine didn't. Of course, the differences may be significant. I don't know.
    Appreciate the reply Danielle...I am not too much into metal; I would be using the amp for clean, rock, blues, and jazz.

I youtubed video's of the 10X on it's clean setting; I didn't care for the blues tones coming out of the amp. On the flipside, with my tradein, the 10X cost me $159 out the door, so it's kinda hard to give up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 12:46 AM
    Liked 17,400 Times in 7,666 Posts

Default Hoping That Someone Can Answer My Question BEFORE Tomorrow

In my opinion no matter what kind of music you play, the 10x is far superior to the 10. Iíve tried the 10 and I didnít think it was nearly as good. The 10x just sounds better.

I think youíll be just fine using it for what you want, but thatís just again my two cents. Itís about your fingers more than anything having to do with any amp.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 809 Times in 517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Itís about your fingers more than anything having to do with any amp.
    This.

The one-line marketing killer. But 100% true.

Claptonís going to sound like Clapton whether heís playing through a Cube or a Twinoloux.

EVH is going to sound like EVH whether heís playing through a 69í Super Lead or a Line 6 Spider.

Carlos Santana is going to sound like Carlos Santana whether heís playing a Dumble or a Friedman.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    In my opinion no matter what kind of music you play, the 10x is far superior to the 10. Iíve tried the 10 and I didnít think it was nearly as good. The 10x just sounds better.

I think youíll be just fine using it for what you want, but thatís just again my two cents. Itís about your fingers more than anything having to do with any amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    This.

The one-line marketing killer. But 100% true.

Claptonís going to sound like Clapton whether heís playing through a Cube or a Twinoloux.

EVH is going to sound like EVH whether heís playing through a 69í Super Lead or a Line 6 Spider.

Carlos Santana is going to sound like Carlos Santana whether heís playing a Dumble or a Friedman.
    Thanks to you both.

Effectively, I have three settings that interest me: the brown settings, and the clean setting. To be clear - on my end - you're saying a guy like Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or a jazz player like Joe Pass could get away using the 10X? The tone settings on the amp won't be too heavy for that kind of playing, simply because pick attack and finger placement can overcome extreme effects on the amp?

(You were both clear in your replies, but being that I am an amateur on this, and being that I complicate things when I go off on my own, I want to be super clear, as I can't afford to make an expensive mistake)

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

03.28.20 @ 04:36 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts

I don't wanna piss off the forum mods by opening a second thread on the same topic, but I am hoping that this will catch the attention of someone before tomorrow:

I just bought a used Yamaha THR10X from Guitar Center; the unit will ship out tomorrow morning.

When I got home and looked online, I found out that the THR10X has different settings than the standard issue THR10. I like the "brown sound" settings on the 10X, but the unit does not have several settings that I want - namely the standard sounds on the standard THR10: "Deluxe;" "Class A;" "Brit Blues;" etc

Can I load these sounds onto a 10X, or are they specific to the standard 10 model?

I looked online for answers, and have come up short. If I can't get the standard issue 10 sounds on the 10X, I am going to cancel my order tomorrow, and try to get a standard 10.

If I can load the standard 10 sounds on the 10X, I will keep what I got, as I bought a very nice unit at a good price.

Please clue me in, and thanks for your time
    "Deluxe;" "Class A;" "Brit Blues;" etc are actually on the thr10C model, not the standard. They don't make it easy do they?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs

That page lists all the models and settings with sound samples. I'm going to say your best off with the standard model the THR10 for what you are looking to get out of it.

Again, sorry if i made this more work than need be, hope it works out for you.
    "I think good rock music is more than profanity, screeching vocals, wailing guitars and pounding drums. " Dick Hogan-Music Reviewer

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 809 Times in 517 Posts

Thanks to you both.

Effectively, I have three settings that interest me: the brown settings, and the clean setting. To be clear - on my end - you're saying a guy like Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or a jazz player like Joe Pass could get away using the 10X? The tone settings on the amp won't be too heavy for that kind of playing, simply because pick attack and finger placement can overcome extreme effects on the amp?

(You were both clear in your replies, but being that I am an amateur on this, and being that I complicate things when I go off on my own, I want to be super clear, as I can't afford to make an expensive mistake)
    It might not be their first, second or eighth choice but yes, you would know it was SRV or Joe playing through the amp.

Regardless, it shouldnít matter. If it sounds good to you and inspires you to play better, that is the important thing.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL