Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been thinking about posting this for a while. In my area Western New York(North of Buffalo) VH seems to be very popular as compared to some other locations. One reason I say this is I've seen countdown charts voted on by listeners from radio station from other parts of the U.S & Canada and VH sometimes dosen't chart well. One of my local radio stations does an annual countdown based on listeners votes and VH is always one of the most represented artist. This past summer Sam/Dave sold over 8000 tickets for the local show. One thing that stands out is Dave VH is played probably 3 to 1 to Sam VH in my area. It seems when local stations play 2 songs from an artist that it is very common around here for it to be 2 Dave VH songs. I can't remember the last time I heard a 2-fer with both songs being Sam VH. Plus if they do a block of 3 or 4 songs usually only 1 is Sam VH. On local countdowns Dave VH usually does better that Sam VH. Sam solo is probably 4 to 1 Dave solo in my area. Maybe someone from my area can add some thoughts to these ratios. Here are my questions.
    1. Is VH big in your area?
    2. What do you think the Sam VH to Dave VH ratio is in your area?
    3. What do you think the Sam solo to Dave solo ratio is in your area?
    (1-3).Any specific reason you can think of why it is the way it is in your area for any of the above 3 questions?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Chad:

(1-3).Any specific reason you can think of why it is the way it is in your area for any of the above 3 questions?
    Interesting topic

Not any more, no. Other than the 1984 hits you hear very little VH on the radio. I think VH's unwillingness to tour down under until 1998 cost it badly in it's fan base. Other rock bands have stayed popular simply die to the fact they are willing to come down every 2-5 years and do a tour. VH obviously has a hardcore fan base here, they miss out badly though when it comes to the more casual fanbase.

Sam VH isn't played on Sydney radio, with the exception of 'dreams'

Sam's never made an effort to sell solo records here, and hasn't got a single song that gets airplay. Most of his solo records are only available on import, if you can get 'em at all. Dave done pretty well here for his first few albums (you can buy the albums AND he toured!), and 'just like paradise' still gets a heap of airplay. Nothing done since 88 though.

[ February 17, 2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.06.06 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Goo

I know what you mean the vh fan base down here is so small now just because vh never toured till 98

you never hear much vh on the radio at all here

although on foxtel (cable) on music max they used to show the 79 live videos dance the night away and bottoms up ... pretty cool [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Stiglar:

although on foxtel (cable) on music max they used to show the 79 live videos dance the night away and bottoms up ... pretty cool [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Yeh - seen DTNA numerous times on Musicmax - havn't seen BU though.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only saw it once then i didn't see it again ...

strange

I saw this version of why can't this be love though that looked live .. but wasn't live without a net ... i only vaguely remember it .. never seen that again either .

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    And 'panama's on musicmax right now!

.....Hey isn't that wierd Al there???...?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol !

thank god for monday night rock max is all i can say !

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another poster from the land of Oz (Well I'm a Japanese in Australia with a PR)

I don't have Foxtel, damn.. I think I'm missing out on few stuff

No..

The only VH songs I that I've heard on the radio last year were: Jump, Panama, Dreams, Why Can't this be,
    I guess thats 50/50

Dave and Sam had a solo career ?

Switching countries, I think VH is more popular over at Japan. YoungGuitar magazine (Japan's top selling guitar mag) always has an article/Ad about Ed, Every issue. No kiddin'!

Dunno about the Dave and Sam ratio, Since I don't live there

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VH gets its predictable amount of play on the classic rock stations in my area, 90% Dave era, probably 90% of that is first album, You Really Got Me or Ain't Talkin Bout Love.

Where I hear VH the most is talk radio, especially sports events. Panama, Dreams, Jump, Unchained, Eruption, Poundcake almost all Dave era again, seems to be the music of choice for the short intro to get people fired up.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Dave: Fair Warning Sam: 5150
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1.) In Detroit, VH still gets huge airplay (at least once every two hours, more at night).
    50/50 between hits and deep cuts. Not unusual to hear So This is Love or Little Guitars,ect.

2.) Every one likes Dave more. But most people I know realize that a DLR reunion would not be what people would expect,as all of them are pushing 50,(even Ed.)Sammy aged alot better than Dave.

3.) Dave solo- We here Yankee Rose,Just a Gigalo and Just Like Paradise. Dave career is over. The two greatest guitar players in the world wont talk to him.
    Sammy Solo- We hear everything from Montrose to Three Lock Box to Mas Tequila. Sam comes to town he playes Pine Knob(25,000), when Dave plays (rarely) its at Harpo's (a bar)

It is what it is, and this is Detroit Rock City. The only way we could love VH more is if Edward played for the Red Wings.
    Man, all I can do is make music and put it out, and if people like it, they like it, and if they don't, they will sooner or later.- EVH

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New York City rock radio sucks. 104.3 used to be a great station but they went to classic rock. You'll hear You Really Got Me and Dance the Night Away on there.

Jersey radio is still great. 105.5 WDHA and 95.9 WRAT are great. They play plenty of VH. When Sammy was in VH, definitely more Van Hagar. Since he went solo, it is prob. 50% Dave VH, 25% Van Hagar, 25% Hagar solo. Annoys me a lot because I'd rather hear any Sammy VH song over I Can't Drive 55 or One Way to Rock. Did hear Summer Nights a few weeks ago though.

Philly rock radio is great also. 94.1 and 93.3 are great and have the same split as above.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's tough to say who is bigger in the NY/ NJ/ PA area though. Sammy plays theaters and Dave plays bars. When both were in VH they always played multiple sell-outs in all 3 places even in '95 at the height of grunge. If they went on tour today with Same or Dave they would easily sell out any 20,000 seater in the area.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

The "Why Can't This Be Love" video that was mentioned a few posts ago was never released in the States, and is more often seen on British or Australian television.

Its an awful video, with live footage of Van Halen playing WCTBL, with the original studio version of the song playing with it.

Still, nice to see Van Halen on TV, no matter what they're doing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Brian

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

09.13.08 @ 09:43 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well here in Finland we sadly don't hear much VH in the radios. But when we do, I'd say it's mostly Sammy-era stuff. Like Why Can't This Be Love, or Can't Stop Lovin' You. Maybe we have a thing with "can't" and "love" in the same songtitle [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Allthough some rock-programs/DJ's do tend to play the older stuff too. But you can't go to a hockey game without hearing Jump!!
    Suomi Finland Perkele!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great questions, Chad. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

1) Is VH (still) big in your area?

- Yes. The Bay Area - despite its cultural tendency to shun/ridicule all things that can be characterized as 'Caucasian retro' - is still a hotbed for VH fandom. I know of two local VH tribute bands that do alright, and my own band gets its share of positive feedback when we play the classic Dave-era stuff. And rock radio has never pulled back the VH catalog from its heavy rotation.

2) What is the (airplay) ratio of Van Roth to Van Hagar in your area?

- I'd estimate that it's about 3 Van Roth tunes to every 1 Van Hagar tune around here. In my experience it's always been that way, at least since I moved back here in 1987.

3) What is the (airplay) ratio of solo Roth to solo Hagar in your area?

- I think the answer to this probably varies widely in different parts of the country & the world. Around here, solo Hagar/Montrose gets more airplay than solo Roth. I'd guess the ratio to be around 2 solo Hagar tunes to every 1 solo Roth tune. The fact that Hagar is local to the Bay Area probably effects that ratio.

4) Any reasons you can think of for why you answered questions 1-3 the way you did?

- For questions 1 & 2, Van Hagar never replaced Van Roth as being the true Van Halen in the minds of fans around here. Also, the Bay Area music scene shifted dramatically away from hard rock/metal in the mid-1980s (coinciding with the change in VH singers). i.e: Bay Area high schoolers in 1992 viewed Van Halen as just another big, established rock band, whereas Bay Area high schoolers in 1982 knew without a doubt that Van Halen was the biggest band on the planet. Radio airplay reflects this attitude.

For question 3, Hagar has always been perceived as a bigger solo artist around here - both in airplay and as a live draw. And it'll probably always be that way. Most rock fans around here (myself included) would readily acknowledge that on the whole, Hagar's solo/Montrose output is more substantive than Roth's regardless of the Hagar home-field-advantage factor.

The Real Deal