The Roland Micro Cube -vs- Yamaha THR5 ?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

05.23.20 @ 12:20 AM
    Liked 400 Times in 232 Posts

Premium Member

Default The Roland Micro Cube -vs- Yamaha THR5 ?

Everytime I make a purchase without consulting y'all, it's been a mistake, so here goes:

I am a new guitar player, and I have a Strat MIM HSS. I currently run the guitar through a Fender Champion 20 amp. I hate the sound of the guitar, and I really can't enjoy playing a guitar whose sound I dislike. In previous discussions, it was suggested that I get a different amp, and I agree.

The Peavey VYPYR amp was suggested, from someone whose opinion I very much respect, but here's why I am looking at the micro cube or THR5: form factor.

I live in a small apartment, and a compact form factor plays a part in my decision making process.

The THR5 is well thought of - no question. It's also a bit pricey, and I question if the stock sound effects sound as good as the Roland. On the other hand, the THR5 puts out quite a bit of power, therefore I can't imagine not growing with the amp as I progress in my playing.

The Cube has a small form factor, and the sound effects sound really great. It is, however, 3 watts going into a 5 inch speaker. It sounds great now, but I wonder if it's something that I can grow into?

I am on a very strict budget, and I can't afford to buy something now, only to replace it in a few years.

Opinions?
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.30.20 @ 08:28 PM
    Liked 18,994 Times in 10,157 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Everytime I make a purchase without consulting y'all, it's been a mistake, so here goes:

I am a new guitar player, and I have a Strat MIM HSS. I currently run the guitar through a Fender Champion 20 amp. I hate the sound of the guitar, and I really can't enjoy playing a guitar whose sound I dislike. In previous discussions, it was suggested that I get a different amp, and I agree.

The Peavey VYPYR amp was suggested, from someone whose opinion I very much respect, but here's why I am looking at the micro cube or THR5: form factor.

I live in a small apartment, and a compact form factor plays a part in my decision making process.

The THR5 is well thought of - no question. It's also a bit pricey, and I question if the stock sound effects sound as good as the Roland. On the other hand, the THR5 puts out quite a bit of power, therefore I can't imagine not growing with the amp as I progress in my playing.

The Cube has a small form factor, and the sound effects sound really great. It is, however, 3 watts going into a 5 inch speaker. It sounds great now, but I wonder if it's something that I can grow into?

I am on a very strict budget, and I can't afford to buy something now, only to replace it in a few years.

Opinions?
    I'd love to help but I'll be honest I'm not familiar with either of those.

Are you looking at this from a space standpoint in regards to your apartment?
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

05.20.20 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 107 Times in 67 Posts

Opinions?
    Whats your budget? But whatever it is ,the best answer for you is Yamaha THR10x. Pretty much everyone on this forum loves it. Used, you can get it for around $200. Guitar Center will ship store to store for free. You can tweak the sounds through your computer if your taste's change over the years. If only I had this thing 30-35 years ago...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/?N...%20thr%20&Ns=r

Last edited by mike529; 01.29.20 at 06:35 PM.
    "I think good rock music is more than profanity, screeching vocals, wailing guitars and pounding drums. " Dick Hogan-Music Reviewer

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I'd love to help but I'll be honest I'm not familiar with either of those.

Are you looking at this from a space standpoint in regards to your apartment?
    I appreciate you wanting to lend a hand. And yes...I am looking at this with respect to the lack of space available in my one bedroom apartment, which may, or may not, be temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by mike529 View Post
    Whats your budget? But whatever it is ,the best answer for you is Yamaha THR10x. Pretty much everyone on this forum loves it. Used, you can get it for around $200. Guitar Center will ship store to store for free. You can tweak the sounds through your computer if your taste's change over the years. If only I had this thing 30-35 years ago...
    Thank you for the reply...I'll give those clips a look/listen.

So you think the THR is spot on, tone wise?
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Whats your budget? But whatever it is ,the best answer for you is Yamaha THR10x. Pretty much everyone on this forum loves it. Used, you can get it for around $200. Guitar Center will ship store to store for free. You can tweak the sounds through your computer if your taste's change over the years. If only I had this thing 30-35 years ago..
    I won't lie: the thought of fooling around with software settings isn't too appealing to me, but, it's hard to argue with the results.

Would you happen to know if the THR5 is half of the THR10? Does it have the same sound settings, etc., in a package that's a little smaller, cheaper, to the sacrifice of the volume of sound?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

05.20.20 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 107 Times in 67 Posts

I won't lie: the thought of fooling around with software settings isn't too appealing to me, but, it's hard to argue with the results.

Would you happen to know if the THR5 is half of the THR10? Does it have the same sound settings, etc., in a package that's a little smaller, cheaper, to the sacrifice of the volume of sound?
    I've owned mine for a couple of years and have never messed with the software myself. I'm perfectly fine with the stock sounds. It is nice to have the option though.

The 5 might be half of the 10 but the 10x is the one to go with, IMO, it's the higher gain model with the excellent Brown 1 and 2 settings. I don't usually recommend things to people but I'm so certain of this because I've owned both models myself. I've also owned the microcube, cube 30, boss katana 50, they are all good/great amps, but if your going to play some VH the THR10x is a slam dunk for your situation.

Guitar Center website says it accepts returns. I'd make sure of it on used gear, but if they do, thats perfect to try it out and make sure you like it.

My best advice is to buy it used, all gear really, so many avenues to do it these days. This way if you wind up not liking you can resell it for what you paid for or darn near it, if you got a good deal in the first place. I've done this for the last 15 years with the internet and actually own items for 2-3 years and wind up selling for what I paid or at times even more! At worst you might lose $20-50 bucks, not bad for "demoing" an item for a few weeks to a few years. I'm talking about sub $500 gear. I dont venture into gear priced higher than that. Just know your prices. Buying and selling and trying different gear is half the fun of the hobby sometimes. (ok buying is more fun...)
    Last edited by mike529; 01.29.20 at 09:14 PM.
    "I think good rock music is more than profanity, screeching vocals, wailing guitars and pounding drums. " Dick Hogan-Music Reviewer

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I've owned mine for a couple of years and have never messed with the software myself. I'm perfectly fine with the stock sounds. It is nice to have the option though.

The 5 might be half of the 10 but the 10x is the one to go with, IMO, it's the higher gain model with the excellent Brown 1 and 2 settings. I don't usually recommend things to people but I'm so certain of this because I've owned both models myself. I've also owned the microcube, cube 30, boss katana 50, they are all good/great amps, but if your going to play some VH the THR10x is a slam dunk for your situation.

Guitar Center website says it accepts returns. I'd make sure of it on used gear, but if they do, thats perfect to try it out and make sure you like it.

My best advice is to buy it used, all gear really, so many avenues to do it these days. This way if you wind up not liking you can resell it for what you paid for or darn near it, if you got a good deal in the first place. I've done this for the last 15 years with the internet and actually own items for 2-3 years and wind up selling for what I paid or at times even more! At worst you might lose $20-50 bucks, not bad for "demoing" an item for a few weeks to a few years. I'm talking about sub $500 gear. I dont venture into gear priced higher than that. Just know your prices. Buying and selling and trying different gear is half the fun of the hobby sometimes. (ok buying is more fun...)
    Mike, thank you for your time, and very helpful suggestions. I am new at this, and your posts helped a lot.

Thanks

Last Online

05.26.20 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Go with the THR10X. You will not be disappointed. Don't worry about the software. It's only and interface that allows you to change settings and save them for future use.

You can also go to the Yamaha THR forum website and download tons of "patches" that other people have made up. Basically a whole bunch of preset tones and sounds ready for you to use.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
    Go with the THR10X. You will not be disappointed. Don't worry about the software. It's only and interface that allows you to change settings and save them for future use.

You can also go to the Yamaha THR forum website and download tons of "patches" that other people have made up. Basically a whole bunch of preset tones and sounds ready for you to use.
    THIS

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.09.20 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 127 Times in 91 Posts

"If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    THIS
    I appreciate the replies. Aside from the cost advantage, the other reason why I leaned towards the Cube has to do with it's jazz settings, which sound absolutely incredible.

How does the THR fare in this regard (jazz/blues)?

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    You had to throw this in the mix, further complicating matters...(the Mooer sounds really sweet )

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Today @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 210 Times in 115 Posts

The Boss Katana Air is good. It features good amp sounds and a lot of Boss effects. I also had the Yamaha, and it sounded great.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    The Boss Katana Air is good. It features good amp sounds and a lot of Boss effects. I also had the Yamaha, and it sounded great.
    Thanks Danielle; the Katana is a beautiful amp, but it's over budget, unfortunately.

After mulling it over, it's either go cheap (now) with the Cube, or save up and go for the Yamaha (later). The Yamaha is a kick ass Rock amp, but the Cube has some beautiful Jazz and Blues tones as well.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 834 Posts

The Yamaha THR amps kill the Boss micro cube.

I own both.
    Join my EVH Gear Fans LIVE Facebook Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/EVHGEARFANSLIVE/

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

"Like" me on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/evhgearlive/
    http://www.facebook.com/johnnybeanetv

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post
    The Yamaha THR amps kill the Boss micro cube.

I own both.
    Appreciate the feedback; I am sold on the THR.

Thanks y'all!

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: