Thread: CRossing Over

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

02.22.20 @ 12:31 PM
    Liked 667 Times in 423 Posts

Samís voice on Judgement Day. His voice is superb on that track especially during the bridges right before the chorus.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.22.20 @ 10:15 PM
    Liked 4,423 Times in 2,821 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Sam’s voice on Judgement Day. His voice is superb on that track especially during the bridges right before the chorus.
    Judgment Day is an epic track. One of the best Sam Halen barn burners. Wicked performances from all four guys on that bad boy.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 12:28 PM
    Liked 1,103 Times in 714 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like Dreams all on it's own, I think it's a killer song.

But you know why I don't mind songs like Love Walks In, When It's Love, Feels So Good, Can't Stop Loving You and Not Enough? Because my wife loves those songs, which means she was able to get into Van Halen with me. Just for that alone, those songs are worth having in the catalog, at least to me. It's a lot more fun when my wife shares my passion, even if to a lesser extent, than merely tolerates it.

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 02:27 PM
    Liked 2,036 Times in 1,094 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Judgment Day is an epic track. One of the best Sam Halen barn burners. Wicked performances from all four guys on that bad boy.
    Great live version:

"Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

Last Online

Donor

Sentiment is a big part of our founding music, for sure. Lots of our wives and chicas tend to prefer Sam Halen over Dave Halen, less for the musical proclivities than, in my experiences, the fact that they don't generally enjoy Dave's onstage antics.

Sentiment is the sole reason why unlike most VH fans, especially hereabouts, I have a soft spot for WCTBL, which, when measured against the rest of my general VH preferences, would usually fall in the bargain bin as synth throwaway radio hit pop cheese. But since it was the lead off for the transition from Dave to Sam, coupled with virtually my exact coming of age with the rest of my boys in high school, 5150 in general gets a big sentimental nod in my memory, despite the fact that after 30 years, only two tracks from that album still remain relatively palatable. But WCTBL...when it comes on the radio on one of Sirius' 80s channels usually...doesn't get a skip. Because it takes me straight back to spring 1986 without fail...the sights, sounds, and furies of mid 80's teenage invulnerability.

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 02:27 PM
    Liked 2,036 Times in 1,094 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    CSLY sounds like a song that was arranged to be a hit. Iím sure Ed and Sam has a different idea for the song and perhaps WB gave them a stronger suggestion? But it seems it was purposely written even though Sam said it was from his ex wifeís perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that was the last song written for the album and was done for exactly that reason. It's the "Cherry Pie" of that album so to speak.

Per wiki:
    The song emerged after producer Bruce Fairbairn asked for a more pop-oriented song. Instead of searching for his archives, Eddie Van Halen decided to write new music from scratch
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

Last Online

02.23.20 @ 01:10 AM
    Liked 11,680 Times in 6,456 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    LMFAO. Just because some of us hate CSLY, that now means it "traumatized" us?

And who is telling anyone who likes it to kowtow to those who hate it? Again...

I will agree with Coulda, the music to CSLY is waaaay more interesting than WCTBL. At least Ed has some nice volume swells in his solo and Alex plays a few fun things in it.

Darrin brought up some good points about the differences in the industry from the 70s to the big video age. Songs like Kashmir or Stairway or Light My Fire would never have gotten on the radio in the 80s.
    XXXOOO

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 2,447 Times in 1,391 Posts

I def don't agree with that. I can think of at least a half dozen vocal performances from either singer that easily exceed Dreams.

Just because Sammy can hold the octaves, doesn't mean it's as good as widely regarded. After all is said and done, it's a pretty cheesy synth track with even cheesier lyrics. What it does have going for it, is some stellar solo work from Ed. Hey, I toe tap as much as the next guy when they play it, of course. But...if I'm given a choice with my live 5150 tracks, Imma take Good Enough or Summer Nights all day long before I wanna hear Dreams again.

Sam and Vic worked up a guitar driven version back in the early oughts, no synth at all, no acoustic either, that was FAR superior in terms of live delivery. But again...I'm no big fan of virtually any VH synth tracks, I admit. Perhaps the only exceptions I give with the entire catalogue might be Cradle and Mine all Mine.
    That's why I said "from a technical standpoint." Artistically, someone could prefer "On Fire," and that would be a very legitimate opinion. Also I was talking about the studio version - it's true that Dreams didn't really translate well live. "Love Walks In," on the other hand," has a great live version on LWAN, with a very good guitar solo from Sam.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    That's why I said "from a technical standpoint." Artistically, someone could prefer "On Fire," and that would be a very legitimate opinion. Also I was talking about the studio version - it's true that Dreams didn't really translate well live. "Love Walks In," on the other hand," has a great live version on LWAN, with a very good guitar solo from Sam.
    And Iím one of the few that was perfectly fine with Sam playing guitar in the band. Better that he plays an Ed solo than piping in keyboards.

The more live, the better it is. For any band.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 27,934 Times in 14,131 Posts

And I’m one of the few that was perfectly fine with Sam playing guitar in the band. Better that he plays an Ed solo than piping in keyboards.

The more live, the better it is. For any band.
    Agreed. They did a little guitar back and forth when I saw them as a kid that I thought was damn cool. Based upon what we have learned of the band, I assume it is Ed's insecurities that caused Sam to put the guitar away while on stage.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.22.20 @ 10:36 PM
    Liked 25,691 Times in 14,600 Posts

The best version of WCTBL that I have ever SEEN

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Agreed. They did a little guitar back and forth when I saw them as a kid that I thought was damn cool. Based upon what we have learned of the band, I assume it is Ed's insecurities that caused Sam to put the guitar away while on stage.
    It was cool!

Lol. Ed being insecure about Samís gunslinging would be ridiculous. Sam can definitely play, Iíve seen him wreck some stuff, but itís not remotely in the same league as Ed. Nobody is.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 27,934 Times in 14,131 Posts

It was cool!

Lol. Ed being insecure about Sam’s gunslinging would be ridiculous. Sam can definitely play, I’ve seen him wreck some stuff, but it’s not remotely in the same league as Ed. Nobody is.
    Remember Ed complaining about the 1996 "Welcome back" promos run by MTV, saying "i'm not anyone's backup guitarist!"? Don't want to pile on the guy, but he had some issues.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.23.20 @ 12:33 AM
    Liked 14,666 Times in 7,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Dreams is BETTER live, mainly because Alex always supercharged the tempo up a few notches and added more fills. But Sam usually sounded better because he refrained from straining so badly like he did on the studio version.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.23.20 @ 12:33 AM
    Liked 14,666 Times in 7,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    XXXOOO