Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I am sure he had an influence but Eddie's songwriting ability IMO is just something he was born with. Theory probably is there so that Eddie understands basic chordal structure due to him having lessons as a kid. I still don't believe his story that he didn't read music simply because if he won competitions, you have to sight read at those. You can't do something by ear that you never heard before. Anyway in my almost 51 years on this planet, 43 of them playing music I know one absolute truth. People are given gifts and music is a gift. Some were bestowed with a larger gift of music than others. Some people can play but they really need to work at it. Some people can play with technique but can't write a song to save their life. Some people can create melodies yet their fingers move like they are in concrete. Others simply no matter what can't do anything with an instrument in their hands.

A guy like Eddie was simply given the gifts of timing, dexterity, songwriting and an ear. Thankfully he was in a household where one parent nurtured this instead of making him into a banker. Had he gone to school, he likely would have been taught the "right" way but then would have lost his individuality. Anyway take him compared to a guy like Yngwie. That guy can do certain things better than Eddie but can't write a song that hits the masses like Eddie.

Its not even guitar. I used to major in trumpet for a few semesters in college. I was the best in my high school but I didn't have the best technique. I had great tone so I kind of was the Eric Clapton of trumpet. Anyway got to college and there were people who just had something I never had nor would ever have. They were touched by something that only grazed by me. Now conversely in high school I knew kids who practiced twice as hard as me yet they would never be as good as I. Its like that with really everything in life.

Eddie definitely put in the work however I think he had some help. Whether in his genetic code or by a creator.
    Excellent post, and much agreed.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    All i know is that my parents really loved Jazz, and Van Halen was the only band i loved,
    that they actually thought was good.

Things like ICM & So this is love, i wondered why do they GET this, but not AC/DC or Metallica.

It's because VH had that swing, especially Ed & Al.

As blinding as the solo in ICM is, my mom always said, "Well, Eddie sounds very musical.
    Not like those other bands you like."

So i do think Jan had a profound effect on them.

There is a boogie woogie, jazzy, kinda thing happening at times, though it's cranked
    through Marshalls & Ludwigs.
    I dunno how I missed this the first time around; great post

Reflecting upon all of this a little, Ed has, at times, made the comment: 'I got a lot more melodical and adventurous with Sammy.'

Roth era Halen was a million times more soulful. Take, for example, The Full Bug...the intro is rich.

Is there even a comparison between the two era's?
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

04.05.20 @ 05:58 AM
    Liked 2,865 Times in 1,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Sure as fuck not from anyone who knows Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

04.01.20 @ 10:28 AM
    Liked 2,521 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I dunno how I missed this the first time around; great post

Reflecting upon all of this a little, Ed has, at times, made the comment: 'I got a lot more melodical and adventurous with Sammy.'

Roth era Halen was a million times more soulful. Take, for example, The Full Bug...the intro is rich.

I think you have to understand what Ed meant when he said that. to him being able to play keyboards and other more melodic songs was something that Ed wanted to do for a long time. for good or bad Dave wasn't into keyboards and when Sam came along he wasn't critical of keys or a more melodic song.

so for Ed, at the time this was something new and maybe to him it felt more adventurous but at the same time he really only went through a huge keyboard phase from like 84-88, by the time FUCK rolled around he seemed to have moved passed keys (I mean the whole keyboard sound, he moved to a traditional piano). I've often thought that if Dave had just said "ok, fine do a few keyboard songs" and had stayed in the band it would have played out the same way. Ed would eventually move away from keys and back toward guitar orientated rock.

again, I'm not saying keyboards are more adventurous or anything, they're just different and Ed was expressing himself in a different way. I enjoy most of the keyboard/piano songs for that reason, it's just a different side of the band.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

04.01.20 @ 10:28 AM
    Liked 2,521 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Sure as fuck not from anyone who knows Van Halen.
    you seem to have a hard time with this subject yourself.