Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    Last Online

02.05.20 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Can anyone think of a musician’s kid who was content to only play in his famous father’s established band without ever going off on their own at some point?
    just for the sake of an answer, Lee Ritenour's son Wesley seems content to just be the drummer in his dad's band.

I've been listening to a lot of Lee Ritenour lately. despite his soft jazzy muzak leanings he can be a killer lead player when he wants to be

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.08.20 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 472 Times in 222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I think Wolf has realized that there just isn't enough interest out there, and the name will take him only so far.

He shouldn't even consider a physical release. The biggest selling album of 2019 was Taylor Swift's lover, and it barely went over a million copies. It was the only album to sell a million. Billie Eilish had the second biggest album of the year, and didn't even sell 700,000 copies. Wolfgang would be lucky to sell 10,000. Why bother?
    Why bother? If Wolfgang has any artistic integrity and self respect, any respect for his father, he would want to go out there and prove to the world that he should be taken seriously as a real musician who is not just tagging along with his famous father. That's what I would do. I'd use it as motivation to silence the critics and to gain a loyal fan base.

Eddie worked his ass off by playing anywhere and everywhere--backyard parties, weddings, clubs--you name it. He learned this from his dad--Jan Van Halen. Eddie learned that if you want it badly enough, you have to go out and do it and play until your fingers bleed. Honestly, I'm surprised that two generations of incredible work ethic has gone completely unnoticed by Wolfgang. Your a Van Halen--act like it.

Come on Wolf, wake up! Blow us away! Make us eat our words, man! Kick our asses! I really want to be wrong about you, but I just don't see any passion or fire to make me think otherwise.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 06:24 PM
    Liked 1,512 Times in 919 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Why bother? If Wolfgang has any artistic integrity and self respect, any respect for his father, he would want to go out there and prove to the world that he should be taken seriously as a real musician who is not just tagging along with his famous father. That's what I would do. I'd use it as motivation to silence the critics and to gain a loyal fan base.

Eddie worked his ass off by playing anywhere and everywhere--backyard parties, weddings, clubs--you name it. He learned this from his dad--Jan Van Halen. Eddie learned that if you want it badly enough, you have to go out and do it and play until your fingers bleed. Honestly, I'm surprised that two generations of incredible work ethic has gone completely unnoticed by Wolfgang. Your a Van Halen--act like it.

Come on Wolf, wake up! Blow us away! Make us eat our words, man! Kick our asses! I really want to be wrong about you, but I just don't see any passion or fire to make me think otherwise.
    I feel like Ed has taught him how the bad end of the business is and to only get into it on their own terms. My father directed me away from career choices he made that he felt were just not in my best interest...Outside of VH, he's only gone out with Tremonti on a series of club dates. He's played on a one or two other albums only because of his name. Whatever. If Dad told him to be weary of it all then so be it.. He's obviously not a meth head or coke head. He doesn't appear to be a drunk...So, good deal for him. He got to live out his childhood dreams of making an album and touring with the brothers and Dave. If that's it. Then that's it. If he shopped his album and got a cold reception or was told no Ed, no deal. Then it is what it is. If it was scheduled for an independent release around a VH tour and it was sidelined because of Ed's health. Well, it is what it is. We will probably never know. I can tell everyone, I have partied to the CDs my brother and I made back in the 90s. All our friends and their friends partied with us. Badass metal that only a couple of hundred people in a few clubs ever heard. But, man it sure was fun.....Maybe Wolf and his closest friends sit around drinking beer and raising hell at 5150 having a good time and Ed yells out the back door "Son, how manytimes do I have to tell you to turn that down"....lol Good times for them....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 452 Times in 277 Posts

I'd use it as motivation to silence the critics and to gain a loyal fan base.
    Oh, the critics are silent. It's crickets out there at this point concerning Wolf.

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.08.20 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 472 Times in 222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vs. Dave View Post
    Oh, the critics are silent. It's crickets out there at this point concerning Wolf.
    Yep.

The album will never be released.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 452 Times in 277 Posts

Yep.

The album will never be released.
    Yeah, and it's too bad because I know a few of us would buy it and enjoy it. More guys would gripe about it, I'm sure, but that's part of releasing art to the masses. At least give us something to talk about!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.17.20 @ 01:22 AM
    Liked 1,254 Times in 702 Posts

He has nothing to prove to anyone.
    blah blah blah Devin Townsend blah blah blah

https://www.facebook.com/devintownsendexperience

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 302 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Can anyone think of a musicianís kid who was content to only play in his famous fatherís established band without ever going off on their own at some point?
    Off the top of my head I can think of Dax Nielsen, who seems very content drumming for Cheap Trick.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug (currently)
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 155 Times in 62 Posts

Premium Member

I'm not buying that there would be no interest outside of "us". I think, at least initially, there would be tremendous interest by the larger music world. I think Rolling Stone and others would immediately come calling on the son of a man who very literally changed rock and roll as we knew it. "We've heard him play, but could that son even scratch the surface of change as his father once did?" they would ask. Of course, that's a set-up for failure because it's an impossible bar to reach. But lots and lots of people would consequently listen to Wolf's music who wouldn't normally give that genre the time of day. No idea if it would sustain to any appreciable level, but with a release, he'd get his 15 minutes and then some, beyond simple curiosity.
    Why do old men wake so early? Is it to have one longer day?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 9,282 Times in 6,680 Posts

Premium Member

"Tremendous interest" in Wolf's album? Wow....
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 363 Times in 171 Posts

There would be "passing interest" in Wolf's album for the VH nameplate and, most likely, unfair and ultimately unfortunate comparisons.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 10:49 AM
    Liked 664 Times in 420 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    "Tremendous interest" in Wolf's album? Wow....
    From VH fans Iíd say there is quite a bit of interest. As there should be. Wolf, by all accounts, is a hell of a player. Of multiple instruments.

And heís the son of one of the greatest ever.

That alone should have more people interested.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

02.15.20 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 358 Times in 145 Posts

Yeah... imagine the interest if the music was actually good... or great.

Talented musicians are a dime a dozen... a buck will get ya thousands. They're everywhere!

Standout innovators like EVH... much more rare, 1 or 2 come along in a lifetime. This lifetime is full up... it's OK if Wolf doesn't become the next big thing. There's a ton of talent out there filling the air with music.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 9,282 Times in 6,680 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    From VH fans I’d say there is quite a bit of interest. As there should be. Wolf, by all accounts, is a hell of a player. Of multiple instruments.

And he’s the son of one of the greatest ever.

That alone should have more people interested.
    I read it as tremendous interest outside of "us", ie: VH online fan, which I don't think is accurate. Hell, I don't care about or own Tremonti solo stuff even though he is considered 'a hell of a musician'.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug (currently)
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 155 Times in 62 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I read it as tremendous interest outside of "us", ie: VH online fan, which I don't think is accurate. Hell, I don't care about or own Tremonti solo stuff even though he is considered 'a hell of a musician'.
    Didn't mean for this to devolve into an analysis of the Zapruder film, fellas.

It's just my opinion that a release by the talented son of an icon, a legend, a game changer, would absolutely draw tremendous attention outside of those who previously tracked it closely. Outlets like Rolling Stone would likely review it in some fashion, which would lead to interest by a large number of people. Then imagine the likes of more expected outlets like Guitar World, for example, and you have a pretty big audience giving it a listen. I mentioned couple times that it may be nothing more than a fleeting interest, which I'd agree is likely. No dog in this fight...just an opinion.

If, on the other hand, this stuff stands on its own as really, really good, RS may find itself a new pup to champion...something they never chose to do with VH.
    Why do old men wake so early? Is it to have one longer day?