OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 2,222 Times in 1,193 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Yes, true, but I'm thinking the rest of the lyrics would've remained darker given the premise/theme of the song, but with a more uplifting (lyrical) chorus by changing a word or two.
    Yep. I think in previous interviews, it was stated that only the chorus changed from "But I want to tell you..." to "Don't tell me...." but if people want to slag Sam for lyrics that "he could have or may have or thought about" written/writing, then go it.

I heard that Sam penned the lyrics to UFB in 1985 to be used for the song 5150 but he waited for Ed to be totally fucked up to slip them in 2004.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 29,475 Times in 14,914 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    I smelt tension in the band on the albums release day. A CD cover with the singer in the background was unheard of back then. Plus the interviews weren’t the same either, and they were all serious. They were laughing and joking up until the RHRN tour, and during the “Unboxed” promotions on tv, Sammy kept saying “I’m not quitting Van Halen”. It was like he was trying to cover up something.
    Just out of curiosity, what album cover are you referencing?
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 2,567 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what album cover are you referencing?
    I would bet he's talking about the back cover of Balance.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.21.20 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 155 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    I smelt tension in the band on the albums release day. A CD cover with the singer in the background was unheard of back then. Plus the interviews weren’t the same either, and they were all serious. They were laughing and joking up until the RHRN tour, and during the “Unboxed” promotions on tv, Sammy kept saying “I’m not quitting Van Halen”. It was like he was trying to cover up something.

They seem pretty happy here.

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 2,222 Times in 1,193 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I would bet he's talking about the back cover of Balance.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.21.20 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 155 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    Right. Though it's a stretch by any sense to look at that as some sort of indication about tension in the band or evidence to Sammy's pending split with VH. It means absolutely zero. This is the back cover of an album! Nor is the singer being in the background "unheard of" then, now or in the past. The Rolling Stones, for one, had no problem putting Mick in the background.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 26,875 Times in 15,305 Posts

How did Eddie and Sammy go from being BFFs in 1986 to almost mortal enemies by 1995?

Oh yeah …

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

05.28.20 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 1,103 Times in 610 Posts

Premium Member

“Hagar argued that if it hadn’t been for Fairbairn, Balance would never have been completed. And even though he knew his time with Van Halen was at an end, he was holding on for one reason: his opinion on the treatment of David Lee Roth when the band's original singer bowed out of the group in 1985. “I saw what they did to the other guy,” Hagar said. “They will lie. They will crucify me. They will kill me with the fans. The fans went against Roth. … I didn’t want that to happen to me.”

Another reason, Hagar suspected, was that he had recently completed his divorce and was settling in with another partner, who was pregnant with his child, and his happiness was upsetting those who didn't share the same feeling. Eddie Van Halen had a different viewpoint. "In the last couple of years, Sammy went through a lot of changes," he claimed. "Possibly because of that, he stopped being a team player. He was especially irritated by the fact that I began to get involved with the lyric writing. Sammy would say, 'You never complained about the lyrics before!' Well, I wasn't sober before, and I wasn't even listening to the lyrics! It's not like I suddenly wanted Sammy to be my puppet or anything, but once in a while I would take issue with a specific lyric or line."

Balance reached No. 1 and went on to achieve triple-platinum status, with the opening track, “The Seventh Seal," nominated for the following year's Best Rock Performance Grammy. But it was to be Hagar’s last turn with the group, and he left in June 1996.

Speaking later that year, Van Halen explained what had happened from his perspective, saying he felt there were too many incidents of Hagar placing his own values above the band’s.

“I called Sammy a bunch of times, and when he finally returned my call, I said, ‘Sam, if you want to make another record or do another tour, you've got to be a team player. Van Halen is a band. … We should be called Piss for all I care, but we are a band,'" he noted, " He finally said, ‘Yeah, goddammit, I'm fuckin' frustrated. I want to go back to being a solo artist.’ And I said, ‘Thank you for being honest.’”

Man, we all know Ed was heavily under the control of alcohol and drugs causing him to be in a horribly induced dark place. I didn’t realize it was this extreme. I can’t figure out how Ed survived this hell he went through and made to the other side. He wasn’t just fighting inner Desmond, he was in the darkest place one can imagine. He was 3/4 of the way into hell. I can’t fathom the evil/dark forces he was in on top of the pure self hate he was fighting. Not intending to put a spiritual spin on this, but something helped him fight his ass out of death, Hell or whatever you chose to call it. People don’t generally come back from the place he was. AND he was surrounded by scores of enablers

New respect for Sam. Some things NEED TO BE SAID. Yes, I know most of this has been said, but this effected me in a deeper way. I had no idea his demons were this bad. How is he still alive? Dude should have checked out more than 25 years ago or longer...

And how does a person create at the highest level mostly fucked up out of his mind. Yeah, it was much darker at the end, but he was a drunk mess from day one when this masterpieces where created. When you look at Balance in this context, I’m stunned he could create such amazing music.

Peace out
    Last edited by Destructo3; 01.13.20 at 09:05 AM.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

05.28.20 @ 06:09 PM
    Liked 1,629 Times in 996 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    “Hagar argued that if it hadn’t been for Fairbairn, Balance would never have been completed. And even though he knew his time with Van Halen was at an end, he was holding on for one reason: his opinion on the treatment of David Lee Roth when the band's original singer bowed out of the group in 1985. “I saw what they did to the other guy,” Hagar said. “They will lie. They will crucify me. They will kill me with the fans. The fans went against Roth. … I didn’t want that to happen to me.”

Another reason, Hagar suspected, was that he had recently completed his divorce and was settling in with another partner, who was pregnant with his child, and his happiness was upsetting those who didn't share the same feeling. Eddie Van Halen had a different viewpoint. "In the last couple of years, Sammy went through a lot of changes," he claimed. "Possibly because of that, he stopped being a team player. He was especially irritated by the fact that I began to get involved with the lyric writing. Sammy would say, 'You never complained about the lyrics before!' Well, I wasn't sober before, and I wasn't even listening to the lyrics! It's not like I suddenly wanted Sammy to be my puppet or anything, but once in a while I would take issue with a specific lyric or line."

Balance reached No. 1 and went on to achieve triple-platinum status, with the opening track, “The Seventh Seal," nominated for the following year's Best Rock Performance Grammy. But it was to be Hagar’s last turn with the group, and he left in June 1996.

Speaking later that year, Van Halen explained what had happened from his perspective, saying he felt there were too many incidents of Hagar placing his own values above the band’s.

“I called Sammy a bunch of times, and when he finally returned my call, I said, ‘Sam, if you want to make another record or do another tour, you've got to be a team player. Van Halen is a band. … We should be called Piss for all I care, but we are a band,'" he noted, " He finally said, ‘Yeah, goddammit, I'm fuckin' frustrated. I want to go back to being a solo artist.’ And I said, ‘Thank you for being honest.’”

Man, we all know Ed was heavily under the control of alcohol and drugs causing him to be in a horribly induced dark place. I didn’t realize it was this extreme. I can’t figure out how Ed survived this hell he went through and made to the other side. He wasn’t just fighting inner Desmond, he was in the darkest place one can imagine. He was 3/4 of the way into hell. I can’t fathom the evil/dark forces he was in on top of the pure self hate he was fighting. Not intending to put a spiritual spin on this, but something helped him fight his ass out of death, Hell or whatever you chose to call it. People don’t generally come back from the place he was. AND he was surrounded by scores of enablers

New respect for Sam. Some things NEED TO BE SAID. Yes, I know most of this has been said, but this effected me in a deeper way. I had no idea his demons were this bad. How is he still alive? Dude should have checked out more than 25 years ago or longer...

And how does a person create at the highest level mostly fucked up out of his mind. Yeah, it was much darker at the end, but he was a drunk mess from day one when this masterpieces where created. When you look at Balance in this context, I’m stunned he could create such amazing music.

Peace out
    Playing guitar and music in general is all some have to hold onto when those demons walk across your soul....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Just say NO to drugs.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    How did Eddie and Sammy go from being BFFs in 1986 to almost mortal enemies by 1995?

Oh yeah …

This is unfortunately a really big part of it.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    This is unfortunately a really big part of it.
    Also, I will use any excuse to post that video.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 10:14 AM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

This just reminds me of how much of a pro-EVH kid I was back then. He could do no wrong. Sided with him no matter what. Years later, upon reflection, his hands were certainly dirty.

I doubt cocaine & alcohol caused any issues -- may have exacerbated them, but not caused them. Agree that Cabo Wabo/greed/loss of $$$$ dealings was another symptom of the cause, with the main problem being a whole bunch of pent-up personal and relationship issues.

It's clear that ever since the 1980s (at least) that Ed has been a control freak and was paranoid about being controlled. Hence his 5150 studio. Even in 2004 he was speaking in interviews about recording/mixing his own stuff and how he believed his ex-engineer had been recording with broken mics, etc. But things got better when he "took control." Shoot, even look at the production on VHIII....When in reality, the only thing controlling him was his mental health issues/addictions.
    Last edited by mk5; 01.23.20 at 10:14 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts

Premium Member

The thread title says it all, in terms of bias, and minimizing the second hugely successful era of Van Halen. Now that Roth is out (pretty much by his own admission) can we take the Vegas thread out of Main?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Says a lot that it being in Main bothers you enough to post about it.

24. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: