Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 19,971 Times in 11,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    LOL the Other, Other Half...

Now that's a half-assed idea... Don't see it happening.
    Why do you think it’s a half assed idea? So you would be upset if Mike showed up at one of Dave’s gigs and jammed?

Why?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 03:50 AM
    Liked 358 Times in 145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Why do you think it’s a half assed idea? So you would be upset if Mike showed up at one of Dave’s gigs and jammed?

Why?
    My charming sarcasm aside...

There haven't been any signs of a desired personal or even professional relationship connection expressed by either David or Michael in the last 20-30+ years.

Sure, either will politely, yet vaguely mention the other when asked in an interview... but there's been no sentiment expressed sincerely by either of them to pursue anything together. There's been years of opportunity with nothing preventing those two from connecting/collaborating... it just ain't there. Thus, the half-assed idea comment... wishful fan stuff... neither man wants it.

Never said I'd be upset with those 2 sharing a moment on stage performing... I would sincerely enjoy seeing it. Probably some magic could surface... Sadly, it's not in the cards...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 5,458 Times in 2,467 Posts

Its Vegas, place your bets

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 19,971 Times in 11,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    My charming sarcasm aside...

There haven't been any signs of a desired personal or even professional relationship connection expressed by either David or Michael in the last 20-30+ years.

Sure, either will politely, yet vaguely mention the other when asked in an interview... but there's been no sentiment expressed sincerely by either of them to pursue anything together. There's been years of opportunity with nothing preventing those two from connecting/collaborating... it just ain't there. Thus, the half-assed idea comment... wishful fan stuff... neither man wants it.

Never said I'd be upset with those 2 sharing a moment on stage performing... I would sincerely enjoy seeing it. Probably some magic could surface... Sadly, it's not in the cards...
    Gotcha.

They’ve had contact and they’re on good terms. Remember Dave’s 2017 donation to Michael’s charity walk for his deceased grandson? Michael was sincerely touched by that gesture.

They’re not up each other’s asses but they’re on good terms. I don’t think Mike would refuse to jam if the opportunity was there. Heck, he wanted to during the Sam & Dave tour and really wanted the 2000 reunion to happen.

May never happen, but it would be cool.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 85 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Gotcha.

They’ve had contact and they’re on good terms. Remember Dave’s 2017 donation to Michael’s charity walk for his deceased grandson? Michael was sincerely touched by that gesture.

They’re not up each other’s asses but they’re on good terms. I don’t think Mike would refuse to jam if the opportunity was there. Heck, he wanted to during the Sam & Dave tour and really wanted the 2000 reunion to happen.

May never happen, but it would be cool.
    Agreed.

A $10,000 donation sounds pretty personal to me. Considering there had been talk about a full blown reunion, I don't think Dave nor Mike would have an issue with it happening at all. In fact, they'd probably have a blast in doing so. These are guys in their 60's who grew up together. Dislike each other in the past or not, life has a strange way of clearing the fog...

If the stars lined up, I have no doubt it would happen.

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 27,974 Times in 14,154 Posts

They were going to tour together in 2019 until Ed's health issues came to the forefront.

I am sure Mike would go if DLR asked him to. But I doubt DLR would ask.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 25,711 Times in 14,613 Posts

I used to work with Mike's first cousin. Back in the mid 90's, she told me about how Dave tried to sue for ownership of the Van Halen name when he left the band in 1985. Hilarious.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I am about 99.99% sure that is inaccurate, especially based upon what we have learned about the "break up" in hindsight.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 08:44 PM
    Liked 414 Times in 264 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    The Van Halens have issues. I don't think Dave or Sam quit.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    There's a line in that article about Ed and Al feeling that everybody who worked for them was overpaid. If they think Dave and Mike were overpaid back then, they were wrong. Very wrong.

15. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 18,080 Times in 9,613 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    There's a line in that article about Ed and Al feeling that everybody who worked for them was overpaid. If they think Dave and Mike were overpaid back then, they were wrong. Very wrong.
    Did Dave and Mike "work for" Ed and Al? I don't think this was the case.

They were probably referring to other employees of the Van Halen machine, if they even made that comment at all.

I'm not sure an accounting from Pete Angelus is a completely accurate depiction of what was going on at the time, probably has some of a Dave slant to it.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    This article doesn't get it 100% right, but it is close to the general truth. Simply put, as you said, neither DLR or Sam quit Van Halen.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 14,669 Times in 7,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Did Dave and Mike "work for" Ed and Al? I don't think this was the case.

They were probably referring to other employees of the Van Halen machine, if they even made that comment at all.

I'm not sure an accounting from Pete Angelus is a completely accurate depiction of what was going on at the time, probably has some of a Dave slant to it.
    I don't know. When did Pete say all of this? His business relationship with Dave did not end well, so I don't know if he would go out of his way to manipulate the truth to make Dave look better.

I wouldnt be surprised if that's how it went down. Sounds like Al's heavy drinking probably warped his view of when Pete said everyone agreed to a one year hiatus. It was in 85 that my Brother-in-law's best friend, who used to play drums, briefly met Alex at a drum clinic at Guitar Center in LA. Alex wasnt there to play or anything, but he said when he got the chance to say hi to Al he was wasted and didnt seem to aware of his surroundings.

Ironically, years later he would end up working one of the cameras on VH's 07-08 tour and flew my Brother-in-law back to Chicago for that show. LOL, they even got told to "leave" during the soundcheck. Which meant they couldnt be up close to the band, but they stood by an entrance at the back of the arena and watched it. As I recall, I dont think the band began letting VIP ticketholders to watch soundcheck until the ADKOT tour.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

02.24.20 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 5,458 Times in 2,467 Posts

Dave expected to return in 88 and hence the original EEAS band did not break up, Billy left for creative reasons and Vai etc their contracts simply expired and chose to do other stuff. Everything was geared towards ending the solo thing in 88. Did not happen and notice everything solo wise after that seemed grabbed bag because it was. No idea why or what that 88 expectation was based on of but do know he legit expected it
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 01.04.20 at 11:37 AM.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: