Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottz View Post
    What price point are you looking to pay?
    https://stratosphereparts.com/new-ev...ge-0222136000/
    DAMN dude!!! I haven't seen EVH's pickup priced below $149, anywhere. Thanks for the link!
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    My advice: find your tone.

But if you are really into VH sound, before buying anything, check out Jeff Fiorentino guidelines. http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/van-halen-brownsound/

The basic EQ settings given below should help to at least give you a good EQ foundation for your Van Halen Brown Sound.

Bass EQ: 2 to 4 out of 10 ; Treble EQ: 9 or 10 out of 10 ; Mid EQ: 2.5 to 6 (depends on amp & guitar. 4 is a good start) ;

Presence: 4 to 6 out of 10 ; Reverb: Varies from 6 to 10 on most amps, the solos usually have more than rhythms.

Note that for the later Sammy era sound with Chorusing it's a good idea to raise up the mids a little bit beyond what's laid out below which is more for the DLR era early VH tone and designed to be paired with the MXR Phase 90 and/or MXR Flanger.

MXR Stereo Chorus
    : Though not really a Van Halen effect as far as one that everyone who's into Van Halen has, I've found through my own tinkering that the MXR Stereo Chorus is phenomenal for dialing in an amazing mid and late era VH tone. It's a great substitute for the expensive harmonizer as well. This is the ideal Chorus effect for the Van Hagar era sound and it doesn't break the bank. Like the Phase 90 I also recommend running the stereo Chorus in the FX Loop of your amp. But again to each his own, what works for me and my specific guitar and amp setup may not be ideal for your setup, so try both ways and figure out what works best for you. Either way the settings below are a great guideline Chorus setting for the Van Halen tone, provided your amp EQ is set properly and your guitar is setup properly. (see earlier sections of this page for tips)

Standard setting (basic rule of thumb guideline only!! You'll need to tweak based on your setup):
    Bass = 40%
    Treble = 60%
    Intensity = 25% to 80% - depends, for sounds like on OU812, a 60%-80% setting is suggested.
    Width = 25% to 60% - I keep the Width setting the same or close to the Intensity setting, but no higher than 60%
    Rate = 10% to 25% max.

Alternatives to MXR Chorus, which is an alternative to Eventide Harmonizer, are:

Digitech Luxe

Mooer Pitch Box

TC Electronic Brainwaves

Quintessence Harmony used as a detuner.

Also we have this Artist Pack compatible with Fractal Audio Systems™ Axe-Fx III, Axe-Fx II and AX8. "Brown Sound" is a collection of perfectly matched guitar tones blah blah blah blah.

But you won't be able to replicate this sound 100% right without all those expensive toys used by Ed anyway. Let me quote one guy: "he was using Soldano SLO or Peavey 5150 amps with lots of preamp distortion. He ran a wet/dry/wet setup, where he would get a line out feed from the speaker outputs of his amp to feed an Eventide H3000 harmonizer which would split his signal detuned -9 cents left and +9 cents right. Add digital delay (with different settings left and right), feed into solid state power amps for the left and right cabinets and his dry sound in the center. Mike all 3 cabinets and mix for front of house".

Crazy shit, huh?

Last but not least, watch these two vids below:

(on tonewood) "Can I hear a difference? Yes. Does it matter? Absolutely not, it is fully 100% academic. Find a guitar that plays well, balances well, that's light...has a neck profile that is perfect for you, it doesn't matter what the cost is, what the brand is, find something that is playable. The second thing is find a great amp. Between those two combinations you will be able to get any tone you will imagine".

If you don't have an american-made guitar you are wastin' your time and money. Well, don't waste your time with hot takes like that. It is absolute garbage, it is not true anymore, don't let people look down on you because of where your guitar was made. A CNC machine has no idea if it is In Indonesia, Korea, China or Cleveland. So, what does matter is the fit and finish and quality control. Anything in Indonesia in the six to eight hundred dollar range easily rivals anything made in the States, it is just the way it is. So, don't waste your time with garbage like that, bust the myth, grab a guitar that you like, that you want to play and spend your time practicing rather than arguing.

Technically, this Fender Champion is a modeling amp, although a weird one (Tweed, Blackface, British and Metal; WTF?). However, I wouldn't rule out (never played this amp) that he may be able to get some decent sounds out of it with some tweaking.
    I'm saving your suggestions; thank you for your time, help, and detailed reply...it's appreciated
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks to *each* and *every* one of you who replied; seriously, this forum is a great resource.

Do any of y'all have an opinion on Fender's humbuckers, just out of curiosity?

Second, I recently moved to Greenville, SC, and outside of Guitar Center, don't know of any local music shops (yet). Who do y'all recommend, as far as an online retailer for guitar equipment?

Thanks in advance

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Check out Pariah Pickups. They have the Pasadena White (early Roth era), Pasadena Black (late Roth Era to today) Frankenstrat pickups and an '84 style (5150) pickup. The '84 is likely what you seek. The Pasadena Black I have in my Frankenstrat is pretty incredible. I've only ever seen rave reviews of their pickups too.

Here are some clips of the Pasadena Black. It's a bit hotter than the Pasadena White for sure, and I think still a bit hotter than the '84.
    Thanks Jedi...I will look into that.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

04.09.20 @ 06:51 PM
    Liked 18,612 Times in 9,920 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I appreciate, and thank you, for both your time and suggestions.

Your tone is spot on (as is your playing);I can't believe that that's coming out of a small bedroom amp! Thanks for the recommendation...I'll look into it.

The way in which you worded this made me cackle...I thank you for your reply; now that y'all mentioned it, my expectations were kind of unrealistic given the $125 I paid for this amp/speaker combo.
    I know!

When I bought it I was tired of two things, my wife yelling at me that my 5150 was too loud and trying to play through it with the volume on 1 because it sounded like shit.

I was leery of buying another little combo amp because I've had three and they were all garbage. I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of pedals to get a good sound out of a bedroom amp.

So the guy at the store points me toward this thing. I putzed around with it a little at the store and decided for the price point I probably couldn't get anything better so I bought it and brought it home.

Once I had it home I was really pleased with the sounds I was able to get out of it through all the different settings and combinations. It's got twelve different settings to simulate different amps, plus all the effects and delays and reverbs on board. I could go play a show with it too if I wanted, in that vid the master volume is only a smidge above 1.

My wife still complains it's too loud! Ha!

Thanks for the compliment about my playing, I was hesitant to repost it because I wasn't trying to puff my chest out and say "look at me" or whatever, just wanted to you to get an idea of what's out there that could get you more the sound you're looking for at a decent price.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

04.09.20 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 1,544 Times in 946 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I know!

When I bought it I was tired of two things, my wife yelling at me that my 5150 was too loud and trying to play through it with the volume on 1 because it sounded like shit.

I was leery of buying another little combo amp because I've had three and they were all garbage. I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of pedals to get a good sound out of a bedroom amp.

So the guy at the store points me toward this thing. I putzed around with it a little at the store and decided for the price point I probably couldn't get anything better so I bought it and brought it home.

Once I had it home I was really pleased with the sounds I was able to get out of it through all the different settings and combinations. It's got twelve different settings to simulate different amps, plus all the effects and delays and reverbs on board. I could go play a show with it too if I wanted, in that vid the master volume is only a smidge above 1.

My wife still complains it's too loud! Ha!

Thanks for the compliment about my playing, I was hesitant to repost it because I wasn't trying to puff my chest out and say "look at me" or whatever, just wanted to you to get an idea of what's out there that could get you more the sound you're looking for at a decent price.
    Most women will fuss that it's to loud...get used to it...
    Hell, I'm married to Don Airey's ex girlfriend and she thought it was to loud quite often....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

It's kind of incredible actually; it goes for less than $150 at Guitar Center.

Never hesitate to post anything; I never get a "look at me" vibe from anything that I have seen you play. If anything, it's an encouragement that others love Van Halen. And the other encouragement, comes from the fact that players outside of EVH can pull things off, that it *is* possible.

Y'all are an encouragement and a help

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Most women will fuss that it's to loud...get used to it...
    Hell, I'm married to Don Airey's ex girlfriend and she thought it was to loud quite often....

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

04.09.20 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts

Thanks to *each* and *every* one of you who replied; seriously, this forum is a great resource.

It really depends on your amp.

Here are some settings for VH sound you can find online. Funny thing, all are completely different:

ACTUAL EVH settings during 2015 tour:

EVH 5150 IIIS
    Channel 1
    Gain: 10 o’clock
    Low: 1 o’clock
    Mid: 10.5 o’clock
    High: 2 o’clock
    Volume: 10 o’clock
    Presence: 1 o’clock
    Resonance: 1 o’clock

Channel 2
    Gain: 5 o’clock
    Low: 3 o’clock
    Mid: 12 o’clock
    High: 12.5 o’clock
    Presence: 1.5 o’clock
    Resonance: 5 o’clock

Channel 3
    Gain: 2.5 o’clock
    Low: 2 o’clock
    High: 1 o’clock
    Volume: 11 o’clock
    Impedance: 16 ohms

Some dude's frome ultimateguitar.com:

I can an amazing brwon sound on my 6505.
    Lead
    Gain-5-6
    Low-5-6
    Mid-6
    Treble-7
    Resonance-5-6
    Prescence-7
    That with some reverb and a phase from my POD is good for me.(There is some EQ going on in the POD as well).

Some other dude:

To sound like Eddie Van Halen, change the settings on your amp to this:
    Gain - 10
    Bass - 5
    Mid/Contour - 7
    Treble - 8
    Reverb - 3

And one more time Jeff Fiorentino's settings for Good Enough from 5150 album (same settings for Get Up):

Marshall JCM 800

Gain:Cranked

Low EQ: 3.5

Mid EQ: 6.0

High EQ: 8.0

Presence: 4.0

Reverb 8.0

Compare, experiment, have fun!
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    It really depends on your amp.

Here are some settings for VH sound you can find online. Funny thing, all are completely different:

ACTUAL EVH settings during 2015 tour:

EVH 5150 IIIS
    Channel 1
    Gain: 10 o’clock
    Low: 1 o’clock
    Mid: 10.5 o’clock
    High: 2 o’clock
    Presence: 1 o’clock

Channel 2
    Gain: 5 o’clock
    Low: 3 o’clock
    High: 12.5 o’clock
    Resonance: 5 o’clock

Channel 3
    Gain: 2.5 o’clock
    Low: 2 o’clock
    High: 1 o’clock
    Volume: 11 o’clock
    Impedance: 16 ohms

Some dude's frome ultimateguitar.com:

I can an amazing brwon sound on my 6505.
    Lead
    Gain-5-6
    Low-5-6
    Mid-6
    Treble-7
    Resonance-5-6
    Prescence-7
    That with some reverb and a phase from my POD is good for me.(There is some EQ going on in the POD as well).

Some other dude:

To sound like Eddie Van Halen, change the settings on your amp to this:
    Gain - 10
    Bass - 5
    Mid/Contour - 7
    Treble - 8
    Reverb - 3

And one more time Jeff Fiorentino's settings for Good Enough from 5150 album (same settings for Get Up):

Marshall JCM 800

Gain:Cranked

Low EQ: 3.5

Mid EQ: 6.0

High EQ: 8.0

Presence: 4.0

Reverb 8.0

Compare, experiment, have fun!
    Thanks for the info, and for your time

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.10.20 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 17,445 Times in 7,684 Posts

Oh my wife and daughter complain that my guitar is too loud when I’m playing with it unplugged!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

04.09.20 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 28,683 Times in 14,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Oh my wife and daughter complain that my guitar is too loud when I’m playing with it unplugged!
    That's a nice way of saying they don't like your taste in music.

Crank out some Lady Gaga and they'll probably love it.

I also hear Billie Eilish is really good...WVH says so.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.10.20 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 17,445 Times in 7,684 Posts

Default What Kind Of Pickup Did EVH Use On "Sucker In A Three Piece?"

Haha no my wife does not like that shit. I just always play at night and they’re all fucking tired and crabby.

She’s had 25 years to hate my music, she’s used to it.

She’s the one that wanted me to do all the Zeppelin covers saying I don’t play them enough.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.06.20 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts

DAMN dude!!! I haven't seen EVH's pickup priced below $149, anywhere. Thanks for the link!
    I ordered one myself a few weeks ago. It's definitely brand new in the box.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

04.09.20 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 883 Times in 559 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I yanked everything out of a 62 Fender tele. Routed it out and put a JB along with an EVH low friction pot in. It is absolutely awesome now. Before it was unplayable. I kept everything in the old pickgaurd so I could it a back all original minus a little bit of wood...lol
    Several years ago I pulled the bridge pickup out of a 1981 Ibanez Destroyer and put a JB in. Totally kicks ass now. On the other side of that, I put the Ibanez pickup in a 1963 Fender Mustang...it's got one if the best tones I've ever heard. Problem is, I don't know what that Ibanez pick up even is. I put that pickup in back when I was 15 years old and have not looked at it since....Hmmmmm, maybe I need to check it out.
    Fuck, I'm rambling....
    Can't go wrong with a JB in any guitar aimed at blues, rock, and heavy rock....

You butchered a 62 Tele?.....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I don't wanna beat a dead horse, but I would rather put it before y'all, than make a purchase that I will later regret:

Eventually, I am going to replace my amp; that's a given, but in the meantime, I am making do with what I have.

The three pickups in the running are the JB, Pearly Gates, and Custom Custom. I am sticking with "non-boutique" SD's because of price, and because I can get them as a trembucker, which is perfect for my Strat.

- The JB is my default "fail safe" choice; it sounds good, but it's a bit too powerful. It falls last on my list.

- The CC sounds very good, and it's very versatile (e.g. rock, jazz, blues, etc), yet it's lows are lacking...yet, are CC's lack of lows overhyped?

- The PG is my favorite sounding pickup, but I am concerned that it sounds a bit too vintage for mid-80's rock, plus how does the PG sound with Van Halen? Can the PG be ice picky on a Strat?