Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I yanked everything out of a 62 Fender tele. Routed it out and put a JB along with an EVH low friction pot in. It is absolutely awesome now. Before it was unplayable. I kept everything in the old pickgaurd so I could it a back all original minus a little bit of wood...lol
    Several years ago I pulled the bridge pickup out of a 1981 Ibanez Destroyer and put a JB in. Totally kicks ass now. On the other side of that, I put the Ibanez pickup in a 1963 Fender Mustang...it's got one if the best tones I've ever heard. Problem is, I don't know what that Ibanez pick up even is. I put that pickup in back when I was 15 years old and have not looked at it since....Hmmmmm, maybe I need to check it out.
    Fuck, I'm rambling....
    Can't go wrong with a JB in any guitar aimed at blues, rock, and heavy rock....
    Actually if you can find the pickup out of a late 1970ís early 80ís ibanez destroyer they are super tits. If memory serves me itís called a super 70. Itís great if you can find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. evhintexas, NDL thanked for this post.
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.30.20 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Okay...after watching the above youtube video's, the conclusion that was drawn agreed with what CalFB said: a cheap amp won't ever produce the desired sound, no matter the pickup.

Here's what I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Champi...SIN=B00EM5UOE6

Maybe it's best that I get some experience under my belt (as I am new to playing), before putting more money into this project. I am glad that I picked up the guitar however, and I do see myself sticking with it.

Thanks to all who replied

I think that amp is part of your problem.

My first amp was a similar Fender model as well and I didn't like the sound I got out of it much either even after I bought my EVH EBMM.

What was interesting was I bought a 5150 cabinet and the sound instantly improved even though I was using the same amp and just running it through the 4X12 cabinet through the line out that it had, so I think the speakers have a lot to do with it.

I have a little modeling amp now called a Peavey Vypyr that I paid about a hundred bucks for. For what it is it gets a good tone and I've set it to kind of get that early VH tone through the "plexi" setting with some delay and chorus on it.

This is a phone recording but you can get the gist of what it sounds like.

But like others have mentioned you're not going to get an exact replication of that tone at bedroom volume. The early VH tone is actually pretty clean relatively speaking but with a lot of sustain because of the high volume because he was driving the amp so hard. That's why he got the cardiac, to be able to bring the volume down while still driving the tubes to 11.

Like others have said I'd mess with the eq and effects before trying to swap out pickups. And if that doesn't work, look at getting a modeling amp that has a bunch of different amp and effects settings.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

4. track 5, NDL thanked for this post.
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 03:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default What Kind Of Pickup Did EVH Use On "Sucker In A Three Piece?"

Youíre not gonna get any VH sounds out of that amp dude. You can maybe go for one of the VH overdrive pedals and stick that in front of it. Thatís probably going to be your best bet with that particular amp.

Thatís why I think modeling amps are the way to go if youíre just playing at bedroom volume in your room.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

6. Get The Show On The Road, Dave not David, NDL thanked for this post.
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

06.07.20 @ 03:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Rookie2,000 VHL Life Points

What price point are you looking to pay?
    https://stratosphereparts.com/new-ev...ge-0222136000/

8. NDL thanked for this post.
    "Whoa, this is heavy."
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Check out Pariah Pickups. They have the Pasadena White (early Roth era), Pasadena Black (late Roth Era to today) Frankenstrat pickups and an '84 style (5150) pickup. The '84 is likely what you seek. The Pasadena Black I have in my Frankenstrat is pretty incredible. I've only ever seen rave reviews of their pickups too.

Here are some clips of the Pasadena Black. It's a bit hotter than the Pasadena White for sure, and I think still a bit hotter than the '84.

10. Dave not David, RRvh1, track 5, NDL thanked for this post.
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

07.03.20 @ 03:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

My advice: find your tone.

But if you are really into VH sound, before buying anything, check out Jeff Fiorentino guidelines. http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/van-halen-brownsound/

The basic EQ settings given below should help to at least give you a good EQ foundation for your Van Halen Brown Sound.

Bass EQ: 2 to 4 out of 10 ; Treble EQ: 9 or 10 out of 10 ; Mid EQ: 2.5 to 6 (depends on amp & guitar. 4 is a good start) ;

Presence: 4 to 6 out of 10 ; Reverb: Varies from 6 to 10 on most amps, the solos usually have more than rhythms.

Note that for the later Sammy era sound with Chorusing it's a good idea to raise up the mids a little bit beyond what's laid out below which is more for the DLR era early VH tone and designed to be paired with the MXR Phase 90 and/or MXR Flanger.

MXR Stereo Chorus
    : Though not really a Van Halen effect as far as one that everyone who's into Van Halen has, I've found through my own tinkering that the MXR Stereo Chorus is phenomenal for dialing in an amazing mid and late era VH tone. It's a great substitute for the expensive harmonizer as well. This is the ideal Chorus effect for the Van Hagar era sound and it doesn't break the bank. Like the Phase 90 I also recommend running the stereo Chorus in the FX Loop of your amp. But again to each his own, what works for me and my specific guitar and amp setup may not be ideal for your setup, so try both ways and figure out what works best for you. Either way the settings below are a great guideline Chorus setting for the Van Halen tone, provided your amp EQ is set properly and your guitar is setup properly. (see earlier sections of this page for tips)

Standard setting (basic rule of thumb guideline only!! You'll need to tweak based on your setup):
    Bass = 40%
    Treble = 60%
    Intensity = 25% to 80% - depends, for sounds like on OU812, a 60%-80% setting is suggested.
    Width = 25% to 60% - I keep the Width setting the same or close to the Intensity setting, but no higher than 60%
    Rate = 10% to 25% max.

Alternatives to MXR Chorus, which is an alternative to Eventide Harmonizer, are:

Digitech Luxe

Mooer Pitch Box

TC Electronic Brainwaves

Quintessence Harmony used as a detuner.

Also we have this Artist Pack compatible with Fractal Audio Systems™ Axe-Fx III, Axe-Fx II and AX8. "Brown Sound" is a collection of perfectly matched guitar tones blah blah blah blah.

But you won't be able to replicate this sound 100% right without all those expensive toys used by Ed anyway. Let me quote one guy: "he was using Soldano SLO or Peavey 5150 amps with lots of preamp distortion. He ran a wet/dry/wet setup, where he would get a line out feed from the speaker outputs of his amp to feed an Eventide H3000 harmonizer which would split his signal detuned -9 cents left and +9 cents right. Add digital delay (with different settings left and right), feed into solid state power amps for the left and right cabinets and his dry sound in the center. Mike all 3 cabinets and mix for front of house".

Crazy shit, huh?

Last but not least, watch these two vids below:

(on tonewood) "Can I hear a difference? Yes. Does it matter? Absolutely not, it is fully 100% academic. Find a guitar that plays well, balances well, that's light...has a neck profile that is perfect for you, it doesn't matter what the cost is, what the brand is, find something that is playable. The second thing is find a great amp. Between those two combinations you will be able to get any tone you will imagine".

If you don't have an american-made guitar you are wastin' your time and money. Well, don't waste your time with hot takes like that. It is absolute garbage, it is not true anymore, don't let people look down on you because of where your guitar was made. A CNC machine has no idea if it is In Indonesia, Korea, China or Cleveland. So, what does matter is the fit and finish and quality control. Anything in Indonesia in the six to eight hundred dollar range easily rivals anything made in the States, it is just the way it is. So, don't waste your time with garbage like that, bust the myth, grab a guitar that you like, that you want to play and spend your time practicing rather than arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You’re not gonna get any VH sounds out of that amp dude. You can maybe go for one of the VH overdrive pedals and stick that in front of it. That’s probably going to be your best bet with that particular amp.

That’s why I think modeling amps are the way to go if you’re just playing at bedroom volume in your room.
    Technically, this Fender Champion is a modeling amp, although a weird one (Tweed, Blackface, British and Metal; WTF?). However, I wouldn't rule out (never played this amp) that he may be able to get some decent sounds out of it with some tweaking.
    Last edited by marcin; 12.16.19 at 08:22 AM.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

12. track 5, NDL thanked for this post.
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Check out Pariah Pickups. They have the Pasadena White (early Roth era), Pasadena Black (late Roth Era to today) Frankenstrat pickups and an '84 style (5150) pickup. The '84 is likely what you seek. The Pasadena Black I have in my Frankenstrat is pretty incredible. I've only ever seen rave reviews of their pickups too.

Here are some clips of the Pasadena Black. It's a bit hotter than the Pasadena White for sure, and I think still a bit hotter than the '84.

You have the hair of a politician Jedi. Nice and neat.

14. Jedi McFly thanked for this post.
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

07.09.20 @ 08:08 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranPic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post

I love these videos. You really need that harmonizer to kick in on the So This is Love solo, though.

16. Jedi McFly thanked for this post.
    Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

The Custom Custom a nice pickup. Iíve actually never had one in any of my guitars but the singer in my band does and it sounds good.

I am partial to the EVH Frankenstein pickups which has some similar qualities to the Custom Custom. I would say itís a little hotter.
    I had a homemade VH1 replica & I used a Custom/Custom in it. I was quite impressed. IMO, it sounds very similar to a JB, but just a little smoother & not as bright. YMMV
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

18. track 5, NDL thanked for this post.
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post

My first amp was a similar Fender model as well and I didn't like the sound I got out of it much either even after I bought my EVH EBMM.

What was interesting was I bought a 5150 cabinet and the sound instantly improved even though I was using the same amp and just running it through the 4X12 cabinet through the line out that it had, so I think the speakers have a lot to do with it.

I have a little modeling amp now called a Peavey Vypyr that I paid about a hundred bucks for. For what it is it gets a good tone and I've set it to kind of get that early VH tone through the "plexi" setting with some delay and chorus on it.

But like others have mentioned you're not going to get an exact replication of that tone at bedroom volume. The early VH tone is actually pretty clean relatively speaking but with a lot of sustain because of the high volume because he was driving the amp so hard. That's why he got the cardiac, to be able to bring the volume down while still driving the tubes to 11.

Like others have said I'd mess with the eq and effects before trying to swap out pickups. And if that doesn't work, look at getting a modeling amp that has a bunch of different amp and effects settings.
    Slight correction ^^^. Eddie got the Variac. It was us who got the Cardiac...

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.30.20 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Slight correction ^^^. Eddie got the Variac. It was us who got the Cardiac...
    Yeah, huh?

Stupid autocorrect. How can it not know what a Variac is?
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Yeah, huh?

Stupid autocorrect. How can it not know what a Variac is?
    Happens to me all the time!
    Like that FB post; "Dear Autocorrect... It's never 'Duck'..."

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

07.09.20 @ 10:54 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

The Custom Custom a nice pickup. Iíve actually never had one in any of my guitars but the singer in my band does and it sounds good.

I am partial to the EVH Frankenstein pickups which has some similar qualities to the Custom Custom. I would say itís a little hotter.
    I appreciate, and value, your comments. Thanks
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

23. Brett thanked for this post.
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Actually if you can find the pickup out of a late 1970ís early 80ís ibanez destroyer they are super tits. If memory serves me itís called a super 70. Itís great if you can find them.

You are correct sir. I read a wiki account of the Destroyer and it indeed says it's a Super 70.....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

25. NDL thanked for this post.
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

07.09.20 @ 10:54 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I appreciate, and thank you, for both your time and suggestions.

Your tone is spot on (as is your playing); I can't believe that that's coming out of a small bedroom amp! Thanks for the recommendation...I'll look into it.

You’re not gonna get any VH sounds out of that amp dude.
    The way in which you worded this made me cackle...I thank you for your reply; now that y'all mentioned it, my expectations were kind of unrealistic given the $125 I paid for this amp/speaker combo.
    Last edited by NDL; 12.17.19 at 04:01 PM.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

27. Get The Show On The Road thanked for this post.