Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 13,727 Times in 7,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I'm looking at this on the browser on my Android phone so it's not giving me a like button, but I agree with this. We've hit 25 and 68 this "winter."

When I worked in a call center a guy from Alaska said all he knew was when he visited home, there was a sign that would say, "Iceberg, one mile." A couple of years later it was, "Iceberg, two miles." "Iceberg, five miles." That iceberg just kept getting further away.
    You & i remember the seasons as a kid, especially here in the Northeast.

There were definitive seasons in four segments.

But this year, we had fall temps in late August, Summer temps in late September, January temps
    late Oct/early Nov (Whatever night i went to that show), then mid temps, back to the teens, but
    62 on Tuesday....

It's a fucking weather rollercoaster.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 06:27 AM
    Liked 7,104 Times in 3,705 Posts

Well I am almost 51 and can say that winters and summers here in Cleveland Ohio still vary. Some are colder than usual. Some are hotter. I remember as a kid in the 70's have bone chilling cold. Snow. Then in the 90's it was very mild. Actually for a few years, played winter golf. Since 2000, its been winter as usual. I have experienced lake effect snows since a kid. Hasn't stopped. I remember -10 degree days as an 8 year old and as a 50 year old. Only have experienced one drought where fires started and it was 1988 or so. Since then have not seen it so if summers are getting warmer, well should have more fires.

In short, weather changes. Depends on your area. One thing is for sure have not seen anything locally that would indicate our weather is screwed up. Gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

02.26.20 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 2,045 Times in 1,174 Posts

Premium Member

Here in Georgia, by the first high school football game you would be wearing a jacket or sweater. By mid November you were raking leaves in a heavy coat, gloves and toboggan (knit hat). These days it's still above 80 degrees in October and the leaves were green and still on the trees. They didn't even fall in a big way 'til after Thanksgiving. So-called fall is like Spring II.

In December the sky was gray, you could see your breath and you ran from your house to the car and from the car to the mall. Lately we've had Decembers where they set up an ice skating rink on the town square, but everybody was walking around in t-shirts and shorts! 70 degrees on Christmas Eve!

Years ago Bill O'Reilly said growing up on Long Island the lakes would freeze and you would go ice skating for a month, and he had to confess that never happens now.
    Last edited by ArtyBoy; 12.12.19 at 12:13 PM.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 04:26 PM
    Liked 2,531 Times in 1,436 Posts

Getting back on topic, I feel that Van Halen is the wrong band to do the whole "generation gap" discussion. They've had little activity during the last 20 years. Maybe Aerosmith would be a better example. It's a bit misleading. Van Halen certainly didn't do everything in their power to stay relevant to Billie Eilish's generation. I mean no website, no facebook updates, nothing.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 14,839 Times in 8,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Greta may be being exploited, but i also don't think over half the country are idiots for believing
    in climate change.

Am i going to believe scientists and informed enviornmentalists, or am i gonna believe a bunch
    of crusty, set in their ways (myself included) guys, on an 80's band forum?

This week alone, the temps jumped from absolutely frigid temps, to 62 degrees, in the
    span of like 12 hours.

Now it's frigid again, but the big warmup hits tomorrow.

Every year, the seasons get more erratic, and i'm just a common observer.
    Nobody has ever said they dont believe in climate change. It's called the fucking WEATHER. It's why the Earth has had a volcanic age and an ice age. It is irresponsible hubris for anyone to think man can control or change the earth's climate. If everyone were to stop eating meat and the internal combustion engine was outlawed, setting back centuries of progress, it would still have minimal effect. But, we'd be overrun by animals and the ecosystem would suffer. You think all the animals we harvest for food are just going to disappear?

Besides, what some people fail to understand is the idea behind the leaders of the climate change movement is not "stopping" it. LMAO, it is all about money and power. How many millions do you think hypocritical assholes like Al Gore have made off it? Or the damn parents of Greta? SMFH.

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

03.24.20 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 2,887 Times in 1,238 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    ...we'd be overrun by animals and the ecosystem would suffer. You think all the animals we harvest for food are just going to disappear?
    Those animals would go HUNGRY!!

10. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Those animals would go HUNGRY!!

I'm not sure about the political acumen of this forum.

But when it comes to Vito Bratta, NO ONE can touch us!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Nobody has ever said they dont believe in climate change. It's called the fucking WEATHER. It's why the Earth has had a volcanic age and an ice age. It is irresponsible hubris for anyone to think man can control or change the earth's climate. If everyone were to stop eating meat and the internal combustion engine was outlawed, setting back centuries of progress, it would still have minimal effect. But, we'd be overrun by animals and the ecosystem would suffer. You think all the animals we harvest for food are just going to disappear?

Besides, what some people fail to understand is the idea behind the leaders of the climate change movement is not "stopping" it. LMAO, it is all about money and power. How many millions do you think hypocritical assholes like Al Gore have made off it? Or the damn parents of Greta? SMFH.
    I don't see how everyone driving a Tesla (if it was feasible) would be canceling centuries of progress. Any objective analysis would conclude that the car is technologically more advance than gas guzzling cars.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 28,453 Times in 14,399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I don't see how everyone driving a Tesla (if it was feasible) would be canceling centuries of progress. Any objective analysis would conclude that the car is technologically more advance than gas guzzling cars.
    This is not aimed at you, just a general rant in response.

My issue is that if you bring up the negatives, you get shouted down. You can't even discuss it without being called a "climate change denier".

The Tesla is charged from electricity, which is usually coming from fossil fuels, so it really isn't that much of a carbon savings.

These batteries are made from some nasty shit, that we have to mine to get, and much of it is not ecologically sound to dispose of.

There are some benefits to higher carbon dioxide rates (pisses me off when they say "carbon", which is different), like the greening of the earth, increased crop yields, higher temperatures lengthen growing seasons...CO2 is plant food, people seem to forget that.

We never seem to want to have the discussion as to the fact that CO2 has been at exponentially higher levels in the past and life thrived.

Some scientists argue that increases in CO2 follows increases in average temperature, not directly causing it.

I could go on and on.

Not saying it isn't possible, hell, for a long time I couldn't wrap my head around time not being a constant. But to yell "the science is settled" (it NEVER is) and to not even allow real questions to be discussed makes me think "thou doth protest to much".
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

14. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

03.24.20 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 2,887 Times in 1,238 Posts

Premium Member

Thank you, Thank you... I'm here all week!

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 18,513 Times in 9,864 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Until it catches fire in an accident and the does so again in the junkyard three days later.

The batteries in those things are one of the most highly toxic things we could introduce to our environment.

No thanks.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts

Premium Member

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Here in Georgia, by the first high school football game you would be wearing a jacket or sweater. By mid November you were raking leaves in a heavy coat, gloves and toboggan (knit hat). These days it's still above 80 degrees in October and the leaves were green and still on the trees. They didn't even fall in a big way 'til after Thanksgiving. So-called fall is like Spring II.

In December the sky was gray, you could see your breath and you ran from your house to the car and from the car to the mall. Lately we've had Decembers where they set up an ice skating rink on the town square, but everybody was walking around in t-shirts and shorts! 70 degrees on Christmas Eve!

Years ago Bill O'Reilly said growing up on Long Island the lakes would freeze and you would go ice skating for a month, and he had to confess that never happens now.
    I really appreciate you relaying your experiences. I recently discussed this with a native North Carolinian, whose experience mirrored yours.

The past several Falls in the Carolina's have been wacky, but having grown up on Long Island, I have no way to know how the weather pattern in the Carolina's has evolved. As for ice ponds, O'Reilly was right, and they were beautiful.

I don't get ANY. OF. IT.

Are we experiencing bizarre weather patterns? Undeniably, yes. Absolutely, yes.

But do you remember when you were a kid? I do. People used hair shallack with CFC's galore. R-12 refrigerant in their automobiles. Remember leaded gas? Remember what the exhaust of a car that burned rich smelled like? I can remember the air pollution in and around the Jersey refineries; the odor of the landfill which could be smelled miles away.

Remember toxic dumps like the love canal? Bodies of water which were not fit to swim in?

I remember ALL of that, yet the weather patterns amidst such pollution were PREDICTABLE, year after year.

Now we're living in an environmentally pure utopia, yet we have all of this weird weather. Something doesn't pass the snuff test.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 06:27 AM
    Liked 7,104 Times in 3,705 Posts

When was weather predictable?

Looking at this chart of the extreme temps of all states going back to the late 1800's, well there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Some highs occurred in the 1900's and some lows occurred recently. If there was an increase, one would expect that highs would be more concentrated he last twenty years. There is no pattern. Plenty of high temps early part of the 20th century. This prior to America becoming the industrial capital of the world. Prior to the mass production of autos. Prior to the billions of autos on the road emitting toxic fumes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._s...ature_extremes

Now I do know that Global Warming isn't cool so its Climate Change. Ok look at NJ. Record low is in 1904 How in the hell did that happen? You know how many cars were on the road in 1904 Globally?

Where I live in Ohio which had tons of manufacturing in the day. Hell we killed Lake Erie for a decade and a river caught on fire in Cleveland. Coldest day on record 1899. Hottest is 1934 You know how many autos have been built in Ohio since 1934? Science isn't settled by a long shot.

22. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 12,836 Times in 7,232 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I really appreciate you relaying your experiences. I recently discussed this with a native North Carolinian, whose experience mirrored yours.

The past several Falls in the Carolina's have been wacky, but having grown up on Long Island, I have no way to know how the weather pattern in the Carolina's has evolved. As for ice ponds, O'Reilly was right, and they were beautiful.

I don't get ANY. OF. IT.

Are we experiencing bizarre weather patterns? Undeniably, yes. Absolutely, yes.

But do you remember when you were a kid? I do. People used hair shallack with CFC's galore. R-12 refrigerant in their automobiles. Remember leaded gas? Remember what the exhaust of a car that burned rich smelled like? I can remember the air pollution in and around the Jersey refineries; the odor of the landfill which could be smelled miles away.

Remember toxic dumps like the love canal? Bodies of water which were not fit to swim in?

I remember ALL of that, yet the weather patterns amidst such pollution were PREDICTABLE, year after year.

Now we're living in an environmentally pure utopia, yet we have all of this weird weather. Something doesn't pass the snuff test.
    All of that pollution didnt disappear off the earth. It just got moved to different parts and went up in volume. Not sure that explains the weather but i imagine it's part of the story.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 8,484 Times in 4,306 Posts

Donor

Yeah we have threads for this. For the record, Billie and Greta both suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. The Following 3 Members Like This Post: