Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 645
  1. #256
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    29,496
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 05:32 PM
    Likes
    22,243
    Liked 19,908 Times in 11,436 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Shakira is so hot she's like not even human... Love her singing style too... But being feminine is being phased out. It's like sexist or something.

    This is another girl who shoulda had more success based on actual talent.... Glad Daryl recognized it at least

    That’s Rob Schneider’s daughter, you probably know.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  2. #257
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    31
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,915
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 12:45 PM
    Likes
    349
    Liked 664 Times in 420 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    How is "music more matureĒ? Not trying to get into it with you, but the concept in of itself makes zero sense to me.
    First off, I donít take it that way and secondly it might to a lot of people. I get it.

    Iíll answer your question in the following way:

    Musical expression can mature much in the the same way a fine wine can mature with time. The same way an artist can mature over the years. The same way a director or actor can mature in their choices. The same way we as human beings can mature. The older we get, the more we experience, the more we lose or gain in life etc.

    A personís musical expression (whether it be on an instrument, or through lyrics) can mature. You can call it ďrefinementĒ if you want.

    With respect to Ed, I hear a maturity in his playing on FUCK, Balance, Humans Being and VH III that you donít get in the raw, unadulterated, dick-swagger playing on VH I. The way he played changed. They way he wrote changed. Maybe to somebody who doesnít play guitar, those things arenít as evident, but to me I find them distinct.

    I think, evidently and unsurprisingly considering where we are, some people here took that as a put down on Edís playing or the band as a whole. It wasnít in the slightest. Saying the music matured later on doesnít imply that the early albums were immature as much as it does that they were more raw and young. And they were meant to be. They were meant to be sexy, young, fast and vivacious.

    Eddie still had the chops in 1995. But the way he played was nowhere like it was in 1977. He soloed differently. His runs were different. To me, itís crystal clear.

    This is just my opinion, mind you. Not saying itís right. But I think itís fair to assume that the music flowing out of somebody's heart is bound to mature as the person whoís heart the music is flowing from matures over time.

  3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  4. #258
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    42,738
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 05:30 PM
    Likes
    2,542
    Liked 12,380 Times in 6,960 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Shakira is so hot she's like not even human... Love her singing style too... But being feminine is being phased out. It's like sexist or something.

    This is another girl who shoulda had more success based on actual talent.... Glad Daryl recognized it at least

    Love that song

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #259
    Sinner's Swing! EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,294
    Last Online

    02.12.20 @ 06:07 AM
    Likes
    44
    Liked 2,747 Times in 1,165 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I get what you are saying, and don't totally disagree - but speaking as a guitar player who has studied Ed's shit for 30 years, I think some of what you are recognizing as "maturity" is essentially production.

    Go find isolated guitar tracks of Hear about it Later, and Secrets... Then tell me that the playing is not as mature as on FUCK, etc.... It is some of the most beautiful/intricate music he ever wrote. And Cathedral is not what I would call "dick swagger" playing....

    You just can't cherry pick a few songs here and there and paint VH era's as this is this, and that is that. Love Human Being, but I figured it out within 5 minutes of hearing it. I still can't get a lot of the intricacies of HAIL right. So which is more mature? neither. Its just music man. 12 notes... You do what you can with them. Maybe you feel like you were a more mature listener in the 90s vs 70s/80s. Look past the stage clothes, hairstyles, videos, etc - and the guitar playing itself is not much different. Production techniques are. Ed played live on VH1 with a few MXR pedals so yeah he had to cover a lot more sonic ground with his playing then on say Balance where he's got 32 tracks and racks of harmonizers, compressors, etc to work with.
    Last edited by EJC; 12.04.19 at 05:41 PM.

  7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  8. #260
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    31
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,915
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 12:45 PM
    Likes
    349
    Liked 664 Times in 420 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I get what you are saying, and don't totally disagree - but speaking as a guitar player who has studied Ed's shit for 30 years, I think some of what you are recognizing as "maturity" is essentially production.

    Go find isolated guitar tracks of Hear about it Later, and Secrets... Then tell me that the playing is not as mature as on FUCK, etc.... It is some of the most beautiful/intricate music he ever wrote. And Cathedral is not what I would call "dick swagger" playing....

    You just can't cherry pick a few songs here and there and paint VH era's as this is this, and that is that. Love Human Being, but I figured it out within 5 minutes of hearing it. I still can't get a lot of the intricacies of HAIL right. So which is more mature? neither. Its just music man. 12 notes... You do what you can with them. Maybe you feel like you were a more mature listener in the 90s vs 70s/80s. Look past the stage clothes, hairstyles, videos, etc - and the guitar playing itself is not much different. Production techniques are. Ed played live on VH1 so yeah he had to cover a lot more sonic ground with his playing then on say Balance where he's got 32 tracks to work with.
    Youíre not wrong in anything you just said. Music is art. Itís all subjective.

    Thereís a thread here where people say they fucking hate Pink Floyd.

    That to me, I just donít understand. It doesnít compute. 🤣

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #261
    Sinner's Swing! EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,294
    Last Online

    02.12.20 @ 06:07 AM
    Likes
    44
    Liked 2,747 Times in 1,165 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    You’re not wrong in anything you just said. Music is art. It’s all subjective.

    There’s a thread here where people say they fucking hate Pink Floyd.

    That to me, I just don’t understand. It doesn’t compute. ��
    I think you are coming from a good place. There's a contingent here that want to think VH with Dave was Kindergarten, and Sammy came in and made them all Rhodes Scholars... I just want to head that shit off at the pass!

  11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  12. #262
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    31
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,915
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 12:45 PM
    Likes
    349
    Liked 664 Times in 420 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    There's a contingent here that want to think VH with Dave was Kindergarten, and Sammy came in and made them all Rhodes Scholars... I just want to head that shit off at the pass!
    Thatís definitely not where I was coming from. Hence, why I didnít mention the singers or the lyrics once.

    But I will say, being on the defensive all the time being at the ready in the event somebody slags the Dave era makes it less about the other person and more about yourself. Thatís not directed at you. Just a generalization.

  13. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  14. #263
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    49
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    74,678
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 12:32 PM
    Likes
    2,320
    Liked 17,312 Times in 7,632 Posts

    Default Billie Eilish says she doesn't know who Van Halen is

    OK so the subject of this thread is done right? No more comments about Billie Eilish?

    Last call before I close this, because we are not doing any Sam and Dave BS here. No idea how this thread got to this point but absolutely weíre not doing it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

  15. #264
    Atomic Punk Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    41,126
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 05:16 PM
    Likes
    2,789
    Liked 11,651 Times in 6,437 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Bye

  16. #265
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    44
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    18,431
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 04:59 PM
    Likes
    28,752
    Liked 18,009 Times in 9,567 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    OK so the subject of this thread is done right? No more comments about Billie Eilish?

    Last call before I close this, because we are not doing any Sam and Dave BS here. No idea how this thread got to this point but absolutely we’re not doing it.
    This guy finds this post offensive...

    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/memb...63-Sam-Vs-Dave

    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  17. #266
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    3,107
    Favorite VH Song

    Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 09:31 AM
    Likes
    1,250
    Liked 2,045 Times in 1,174 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Shakira is so hot she's like not even human... Love her singing style too... But being feminine is being phased out. It's like sexist or something.
    That's literally true! I saw comments on some of the Billie Eilish videos that she's "not letting the corporations use her body," so that's the theory on why she wears baggy pajamas and whatnot.

    A much older guy pointed out to me, the love ballad has disappeared. Carrie Underwood sings about smashing her boyfriend's headlights with a ball bat and having him run over. But no soft sentiments. Even women singers, these days, have to prove they're "hard" and "gangsta."

    Sort of related: Do you ever see women wearing skirts or dresses anymore? I really don't think I do!

  18. #267
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    42,738
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 05:30 PM
    Likes
    2,542
    Liked 12,380 Times in 6,960 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    That's literally true! I saw comments on some of the Billie Eilish videos that she's "not letting the corporations use her body," so that's the theory on why she wears baggy pajamas and whatnot.

    A much older guy pointed out to me, the love ballad has disappeared. Carrie Underwood sings about smashing her boyfriend's headlights with a ball bat and having him run over. But no soft sentiments. Even women singers, these days, have to prove they're "hard" and "gangsta."

    Sort of related: Do you ever see women wearing skirts or dresses anymore? I really don't think I do!
    Ahh, the most popular singer in the world's last single ....


  19. #268
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    3,107
    Favorite VH Song

    Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 09:31 AM
    Likes
    1,250
    Liked 2,045 Times in 1,174 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Ahh, the most popular singer in the world's last single ....

    This thread was supposed to be closed before my point was disproven.

  20. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  21. #269
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    49
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    74,678
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 12:32 PM
    Likes
    2,320
    Liked 17,312 Times in 7,632 Posts

    Default

    I donít mind leaving the thread open I just donít want to see a whole big Sam and Dave thing that has nothing to do with anything.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

  22. #270
    Good Enough CalFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.12.13
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,976
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    02.18.20 @ 05:04 PM
    Likes
    724
    Liked 1,838 Times in 979 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Sort of related: Do you ever see women wearing skirts or dresses anymore? I really don't think I do!
    Summer has just begun here, i'm enjoying the skirts and dresses.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Billie Joe Armstrong's pants get him grounded
    By It's Mike in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09.06.11, 10:47 PM
  2. Eddie Van Halen doesn't deserve Michael Anthony.
    By Women And Roth First in forum Mad Anthony
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 03.16.08, 10:04 AM
  3. Van Halen Doesn't Sell Out And I Commend Them
    By hey man in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01.23.06, 10:24 AM
  4. The Media doesn't like Van Halen
    By extreme red roth in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 07.19.05, 08:02 PM
  5. VAN HALEN DOESN'T HAVE TO DIE!
    By MrBrownSound in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07.15.02, 07:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •