Default Best low volume bedroom amp

Anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 01:45 PM
    Liked 196 Times in 103 Posts

I like the Yamaha THR series. It's so easy to dial in a good sound.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 1,764 Times in 938 Posts

Premium Member

If I was going to buy a new amp, it'd probably be a Boss Katana. Low vol, high vol, great modulation effects, great cleans and dirt, cheap, light weight.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 9,215 Times in 6,630 Posts

Premium Member

Cool

I've seen and heard good things about the Boss Katana, and the Yamaha mentioned above ^^^. I can only offer this from my own playing experience; the Roland Micro Cube is awesome! Amp models, effects, great sound at low volume, and it gets LOUD if you want it to. I currently run my pedal board into the clean setting, and the only reason for that is that there is no f/x loop on the amp (neither do the other ones ^^^ if I'm not mistaken?), so I run certain pedals before my distortion pedal and certain ones after it.

But the Micro Cube as a stand alone bedroom practice amp? I highly recommend it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191120_183528.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	4625
    Last edited by RRvh1; 11.20.19 at 03:46 PM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

I had the Cube that was like a wedge and it was nice. Should’ve kept it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 6,730 Times in 3,502 Posts

I recently bought a Boss Katana (Artist) which is the top of the line for that model. Can't compare it to the THR. They just came out with new models for the 50 and 100w base models so you could probably get the previous versions (MK1) at a reduced price. I know there are some differences with the 50w to 100w but I believe all have various power outputs with 0.5w as the lowest which is great for bedroom levels. The new version has additional features.

Like similar amps, to get the most of it, you need to use the software to tweak. In a way its a modeler but then again its not. I have played with it from rock cover band to worship band. The one drawback is there is no built in tuner. Unsure why.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 17 Posts

Donor

Bought and sold/traded virtually every bedroom modeling amp known to man and can vouch for all those listed above. The Cube was my very first and brain dead easy to use. But there's 2 that I've never sold off.

--Yamaha THR 10X
    --Marshall Code 20

The Yamaha is the ultimate bedroom amp. Small, compact but with a monster tone (including 2 Brown settings) that's a blast to play for hours. The Code is not hugely popular because of a horrible 10 inch speaker and a multitude of issues, but I run it my through my DSL40C cab so it sounds much better. Great if you dig the classic Marshall sound.

But if I were to choose between the 2 for a good low volume bedroom amp, the Yamaha would win out every time.

Last Online

12.13.19 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I would agree. I have the Yamaha THR10X and it is awesome.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

I have 3 amps between the home and office. Marshall DSL5C, Blackstar Fly and THR10X. At home I mainly use the 10X, the tones are amazing at low to mid volumes. Cranked, not so much. The DSL5C sounds much better at those volume levels. The Blackstar has been a great office amp. Really good sound for a 3 watt battery powered amp.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 2,142 Times in 985 Posts

The Yamaha THR10X is fantastic. I play mine more than I play my 5150III now.

Check out Cameron Cooper on youtube if you want to hear what it sounds like. 99.9% of his clips, he's using it.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 69 Posts

Mooer Hornet 15 W. A perfect pratcice amp that has it all - a precise tuner, built-in reverb and delay (tap tempo avaliable!) that can be used independently, plus a bunch of modulation effects. TBH I only use two amp emulations - PV 5150 (Peavey 5150) and TRIPLE (Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier). Both sound good. There is a Master volume. No FX Loop, though.

As for Roland - Micro Cube's tuner is useless: "...chromatic tuner that automatically detects the name of the note that is closest to the pitch you played". You basically can't use it for drop tunings etc.
    Last edited by marcin; 11.27.19 at 01:26 AM.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"Don't give up, seriously. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen, 1985

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Edward Van Halen, 2005

Jeff Fiorentino - EVH style and tone master http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/guitarlessons/vinheut/

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 69 Posts

Roland Micro Cube - top panel. No LED panel, just an indicator showing you whether you are sharp, flat, or exactly on that note. But which note?

Meanwhile, Mooer top panel is clear, nice and easy: the tuner reads and displays things like A, B, C#, D♭, etc on its LED screen. Hornet allows using reverb and delay, with tap tempo avaliable, independently (at the same time). With Roland, you have to choose: it is either delay or reverb. Bummer! In addition, Mooer has treble, mid, and bass controls!

Last edited by marcin; 11.27.19 at 02:16 AM.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"Don't give up, seriously. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen, 1985

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Edward Van Halen, 2005

Jeff Fiorentino - EVH style and tone master http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/guitarlessons/vinheut/

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Speaking of the THR10x, does anyone have a problem recording with their's? I hook the USB cable up and my computer doesn't make a sound, or anything. And it's not available to connect to in the Yamaha THR Windows software application.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 9,215 Times in 6,630 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post

Roland Micro Cube - top panel. No LED panel, just an indicator showing you whether you are sharp, flat, or exactly on that note. But which note?

Meanwhile, Mooer top panel is clear, nice and easy: the tuner reads and displays things like A, B, C#, D♭, etc on its LED screen. Hornet allows using reverb and delay, with tap tempo avaliable, independently (at the same time). With Roland, you have to choose: it is either delay or reverb. Bummer! In addition, Mooer has treble, mid, and bass controls!

I believe the Roland Cube 60 and/or 80 has separate controls for delay and reverb. Also an extension speaker jack for hooking up a speaker cabinet. If either of those had an effects loop they would be my final amp... The Marshall stack simulation is flat out rockin'!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 04:49 AM
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Donor

Yamaha THR 10x. The Brown settings sound terrific. All of them sound great but the Browns take the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Orange whip?