Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 2,024 Times in 1,160 Posts

Premium Member

This and the Black Crowes "reunion" are turning out to be bad ideas. I don't see a lot of "hooray" going on anywhere (but it's the internet, where people go to bitch and moan). People who were really into Motley Crue feel deceived and the rest of the world doesn't care because Motley Crue is as passe as you can get. They ended on at least a middle note before (I read a review that they forgot how a song went and fell apart at one concert). Now they have a greater chance of screwing things up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 2,351 Times in 1,327 Posts

Yup. You can be negative all you want, but the Journey/Def Leppard tour was extremely well put together from a business standpoint. Both bands played together in front of a lot more people than they used to, and it was a massive financial success. And yes they DID play stadiums, which is pretty remarkable for bands who peaked 30 years ago. When was the last time VH played a stadium? Probably in the 90s opening for Bon Jovi.
    Little Dreamer

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 10:15 PM
    Liked 390 Times in 227 Posts

They could come fill our stadium and I'd go. Soundtrack of high school, man! I saw Def Leppard here exactly 1 year ago and Joe sounded really good. My best guess is somehow they've figured the sound out where he doesn't have to sing loud, but he's super jacked up in the mix. Saves his voice and it sounds fine.

Now Phil Collin lubed up in body oil is another thing, but I can get past it. As for Crue and Poison, not my favorites, I know all the songs, so how could it be bad? Loud live rock and roll for an evening would be nice.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 08:30 PM
    Liked 11,979 Times in 6,731 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Yup. You can be negative all you want, but the Journey/Def Leppard tour was extremely well put together from a business standpoint. Both bands played together in front of a lot more people than they used to, and it was a massive financial success. And yes they DID play stadiums, which is pretty remarkable for bands who peaked 30 years ago. When was the last time VH played a stadium? Probably in the 90s opening for Bon Jovi.
    using the DL/Journey tour as a template for a "stadium tour" then VH played stadiums in 95 with Sammy, and in 98 with Gary, and in 2004, and in 2013 in Australia.

Taylor Swift has stadium tours. DL/Journey played arenas and hit stadiums in a few markets where that was the best venue available. As an example in Toronto they played the baseball stadium and had 31K in it. A great crowd. Taylor played the same place and had over 50 thousand a night (multiple nights). One of those acts is a tour in need of a stadium, one is a stadium in need of a tour. There is a difference. Disney on Ice plays the same venue, Mickey ain't calling that a stadium tour.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 06:16 PM
    Liked 14,214 Times in 7,740 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    Exactly right, except situations change and life changes. Never as black and white as you want it to be. Who here hasn’t changed there mind? And how many things changed for Dave to be considered that was unimaginable when Al said that.

Christ, some people here tear apart anyone who said something they believed it was true when said only to have circumstances change. People change, situations change, positions soften. A million things can happen that you could never foresee when statements like that are made. Did anyone believe Dave would willingly become a team player and understand he could never step back in and run the show?!?! Not a chance any of them believed that.

The Crue tried to hard with their stunt. 100% a PR move. Maybe they thought Mick wouldn’t be around for any more touring. Who knows, except it was a cheesy stunt, Tommy Lee likely thought up like one of his many genius ideas. Anything to sell tickets and draw attention. Fucking wife beater needs To go back in the hole he crawled out from. imo.
    There arent too many bigger morons in this world than Tommy Lee. He's a special kind of jackass.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    using the DL/Journey tour as a template for a "stadium tour" then VH played stadiums in 95 with Sammy, and in 98 with Gary, and in 2004, and in 2013 in Australia.

Taylor Swift has stadium tours. DL/Journey played arenas and hit stadiums in a few markets where that was the best venue available. As an example in Toronto they played the baseball stadium and had 31K in it. A great crowd. Taylor played the same place and had over 50 thousand a night (multiple nights). One of those acts is a tour in need of a stadium, one is a stadium in need of a tour. There is a difference. Disney on Ice plays the same venue, Mickey ain't calling that a stadium tour.
    Did VH really play stadiums in Australia? I know we have several Oz posters here, maybe they could confirm this.
    I donno y you go and talk about Taylor Swift. Only a fool would say that in 2018-2019, Def Leppard is as big as Taylor Swift. All these bands also draw smaller crowds than Metallica. At their level, the bands did well. 30K fans for DL/Journey, that's a good number.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 1,431 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't remotely give a fuck about this tour---its pure bullshit
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Did VH really play stadiums in Australia? I know we have several Oz posters here, maybe they could confirm this.
    I donno y you go and talk about Taylor Swift. Only a fool would say that in 2018-2019, Def Leppard is as big as Taylor Swift. All these bands also draw smaller crowds than Metallica. At their level, the bands did well. 30K fans for DL/Journey, that's a good number.
    They played ANZ stadium. Not that it matters as the crowd could have fit in a big junior hockey rink.

30k for DL/Journey is a great crowd. It's double the average they got on that tour. That's not a stadium tour. I mention Taylor because that's what a stadium tour looks like. Rock fans forget what that is. Motley at their peak wasn't a stadium act. Not sure why they'd be one now at 5+ times the price per ticket.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by It's Mike; 11.19.19 at 02:29 PM.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

11.28.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 186 Times in 104 Posts

In 1998 VH played to 10,000-15,000 crowds

In 2013 at the Stone Festival which was a flop they expected a massive crowd of 50,000 plus and got around 15,000 if lucky that amount...
    The stadium has a capacity of 83,500 and they changed the stage position to the middle near the fence facing a small grandstand...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

15K that's definitely arenas number. 30K, that's a more credible stadium like audience, with lots of empty seats.
    A bit sad that in 2013, VH with Dave didn't do better than VH with Gary in 1998. I guess that's what happen when you spend most of your energy destroying your brand instead of building it up.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

15K that's definitely arenas number. 30K, that's a more credible stadium like audience, with lots of empty seats.
    A bit sad that in 2013, VH with Dave didn't do better than VH with Gary in 1998. I guess that's what happen when you spend most of your energy destroying your brand instead of building it up.
    it's what happens when you don't try. With Gary the recorded a new album, they did a lot of press, they worked. In 2013 it was "fine, we'll tour - just pay us"

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 1,764 Times in 938 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PT 5150 View Post
    In 1998 VH played to 10,000-15,000 crowds

In 2013 at the Stone Festival which was a flop they expected a massive crowd of 50,000 plus and got around 15,000 if lucky that amount...
    The stadium has a capacity of 83,500 and they changed the stage position to the middle near the fence facing a small grandstand...
    There's more to that though. That festival was a gigantic organisational fuckup.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.14.19 @ 08:32 AM
    Liked 2,358 Times in 1,003 Posts

Premium Member

The less people the better. I don't want to fight traffic with 15k assholes.

The best shows I've seen in the last several years are small club shows / college campus shows where I can hang with the band for a bit after the show and be on the road in 2 min upon exiting the theater.

Fuck stadiums/arena's/amphitheater's with the $30 parking - half mile walk to the venue - and their $8 bottled water and $12 hamburgers...

Those days are over for me.

21. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 19,060 Times in 10,912 Posts

Stone Festival was not a flop because of VH.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Two things.

1) Def Leppard does do a pretty good show. Saw them in 2015. Excellent live show.
    2) Let's petition the band to tour with Journey. That would go well...........