Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 02:27 PM
    Liked 17,707 Times in 9,389 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Apparently...

Has the frequency of criticism really been that bad? In other words, proportionately, most people appreciate Wolf, and credit him for saving Van Halen, in addition to the positive role that he's had in his Dad's life. That's out of the mouths of what...75-80 percent of Van Halen fans?

I'm not in Wolf's shoes, so I don't know how I would react to the occasional critic, but again...the only legitimate criticisms, if they can be categorized as such, would be that Wolf doesn't have Mike's stage presence, nor does he have Mike's vocal abilities.

Outside of that, most of what's said is simply stupid and untrue.

LOL

Exactly.

Wolf's filled a big pair of shoes for sure.

I appreciate your counterpoint, and agree that people in general are dickheads on twitter feeds - saying things on twitter that they'd never say in person - but again...what ratio are we talking about?

There's a good number of fans offering up encouraging words, words of appreciation, a desire to hear his solo record, etc.

In any profession, you're always going to be faced with an occasional dick. It's just a part of life.

It's a shame that the occasional jerk is given place in Wolf's mind, to the extent that it drowns out the vast majority of fans who express appreciation and interest.
    I think some of us are just wired differently when it comes to this kind of thing.

I had to create a Facebook page for the racing team that I'm a part of. I can tell you that I don't appreciate or take to kindly to unprovoked negative posts that show up.

An example would be our schools were shut down last Wednesday because of snow even though it wasn't snowing. It was announced on our district's Facebook page so I simply asked why we were closing for the entire day instead of having an hour and a half delay like we normally do to allow the roads to be cleared. It was not directed to anyone in particular, just asking a question on the district page and here come the assholes calling me a douchebag and posting insulting memes.

That shit bothers me so I responded. Maybe Wolf is wired the same way.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

01.23.20 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 11,416 Times in 6,330 Posts

Premium Member

Pretty sure Wolf is just being utterly sarcastic... he's just not very good at it.

Last Online

01.20.20 @ 08:37 AM
    Liked 2,648 Times in 1,127 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    An example would be our schools were shut down last Wednesday because of snow even though it wasn't snowing. It was announced on our district's Facebook page so I simply asked why we were closing for the entire day instead of having an hour and a half delay like we normally do to allow the roads to be cleared. It was not directed to anyone in particular, just asking a question on the district page and here come the assholes calling me a douchebag and posting insulting memes.
    Those were the Students & Teachers man! You were trying to fuck up their day off!!!
    Last edited by EJC; 11.05.19 at 07:04 AM.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 12,920 Times in 7,077 Posts

Wolf strikes me as bit coddled, and defensive.

He needs to have a sense of humor about it all, and understand that all
    social media celebs, or semi celebs, get tons of praise (ass-kissers), and criticism (trolls).
    That's the nature of it.

But to post something like:
    Hey Dad, apparently i suck & ruined your band, and it must be true because Bob
    from WA, says so..."

You just come off like a sullen 16 year old.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 09:01 AM
    Liked 2,617 Times in 1,612 Posts

I think some of us are just wired differently when it comes to this kind of thing.

I had to create a Facebook page for the racing team that I'm a part of. I can tell you that I don't appreciate or take to kindly to unprovoked negative posts that show up.

No matter how nice you can be or how valid your point is, there is always somebody to rain on the parade. People really be nasty. I'm sure most of them wouldn't say that stuff to your face.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 1,970 Times in 1,056 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Pretty sure Wolf is just being utterly sarcastic... he's just not very good at it.
    I'm thinking of that one poster's story (who was that?) where he sent Wolf a very simple message/request and Wolf came back and starting mocking him for his profile picture or something. It's like he's so set to "go off" he reads nasty motives into everything in his purview.

It was not directed to anyone in particular, just asking a question on the district page and here come the assholes calling me a douchebag and posting insulting memes.

Show, in the case of this very benign tweet that started this whole mess, I would argue that it's Wolf who is being the "asshole" in his response. It went from a cool 50 degrees to 100 degrees in a single loaded, sarcastic, and strangely defensive response.
    Last edited by BlindtotheWorld; 11.05.19 at 09:51 AM.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

01.22.20 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 365 Times in 209 Posts

Premium Member

I can't go pointing fingers at someone else for their issues, as I have my own issues to work out. Hell...now that I think about it, it always gets me when an idiot gets in my face, and has the last word.

Thankfully, most haven't steered this thread in the wrong direction: my issue isn't so much to criticize Wolf, as much as it's to highlight the fact that proportionately, his detractors are few.

Here's the other end of it: between Wolf's occasional comments, coupled with his comment to EVH over the summer: "why aren't you working??? YOU OWE ME"...health issues aside - and I know that many will disagree with me on this point - I think that a lack of joy (by members of Van Halen), has short circuited Van Halen's output.

Think about it: there isn't a man alive who gives in to his wife's nagging; "just shut the hell up already; I will do (such and such) as soon as I can!"

If the Van Halen's see their fan base as nothing more than an insatiable group of unhappy whiners, clamoring for new product...what would be their motivation in putting something new out? And if others want to say "dude, the band doesn't even know we're alive;" "the band is inactive because they can afford to be inactive;" etc; then why does Wolf's occasional comments point to a dissatisfied fanbase?

And that's the shame of it all: most of us are only too grateful for the joy that the band has brought us; sadly, their perception doesn't match reality.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 02:54 PM
    Liked 608 Times in 274 Posts

A healthier mind and body is gonna need to come. The two go together. The trend is obvious. I won't speak to the exact pressures he goes through. It's all relative to your experiences in life, but I'll bet ya five bucks as Dave would say he's experienced some great ones (again, relative) during the last 12 years. A lot for a person so young to go through. He probably lives a life of extremes in comparison to the rest of us. Has millions and a life of whatever he wants, yet has thousands of people desiring something from him, underlying pressure, wishing he would do this or that, some publicly bashing him for the whole world to see.

So I say a little slack, but still not blameless if you know what I mean.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 01:05 PM
    Liked 3,904 Times in 1,929 Posts

Premium Member

Social media is one thing, but you can bet he's heard plenty of dickhead comments from people in person as well. Yeah, he gets torn apart on social media quite regularly. Sure, he could just quit social media altogether, but keep in mind most of us grew up without social media so the idea isn't abnormal to us. This guy grew up on the internet and social media. All of his friends are on it.

Besides, should I stop watching sports because I cuss at the TV every few days as I wonder why Jake Allen still is a NHL goaltender? Comes with the territory, just like social media.

On a side note, people are batshit crazy on social media. We have a group on Facebook that is for everyone in our subdivision (it's pretty big and has about 800 homes). People are fucking ruthless on there and these are neighbors they have a strong likelihood of seeing at the grocery store or at the pool. It's nuts.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Those were the Students & Teachers man! You were trying to fuck up their day off!!!
    They absolutely were teachers. I'm guessing if they were hourly instead of salary they would have been singing a different tune.

One of them started bitching about her "safety."

I told her my wife had to go to work, along with thousands of other Coloradoans, some of whom make little more than minimum wage. What about their "safety?"

She didn't respond to that one.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    I'm thinking of that one poster's story (who was that?) where he sent Wolf a very simple message/request and Wolf came back and starting mocking him for his profile picture or something. It's like he's so set to "go off" he reads nasty motives into everything in his purview.

Show, in the case of this very benign tweet that started this whole mess, I would argue that it's Wolf who is being the "asshole" in his response. It went from a cool 50 degrees to 100 degrees in a single loaded, sarcastic, and strangely defensive response.
    Yeah, probably. But why is the guy posting a question like that on Wolf's twitter?

That's like someone asking "What did you think of the change from Dave to Sam in 1985" on Dave's twitter and then expecting Dave not to say anything.

Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Just not necessary IMO.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I can't go pointing fingers at someone else for their issues, as I have my own issues to work out. Hell...now that I think about it, it always gets me when an idiot gets in my face, and has the last word.

Thankfully, most haven't steered this thread in the wrong direction: my issue isn't so much to criticize Wolf, as much as it's to highlight the fact that proportionately, his detractors are few.

Here's the other end of it: between Wolf's occasional comments, coupled with his comment to EVH over the summer: "why aren't you working??? YOU OWE ME"...health issues aside - and I know that many will disagree with me on this point - I think that a lack of joy (by members of Van Halen), has short circuited Van Halen's output.

Think about it: there isn't a man alive who gives in to his wife's nagging; "just shut the hell up already; I will do (such and such) as soon as I can!"

If the Van Halen's see their fan base as nothing more than an insatiable group of unhappy whiners, clamoring for new product...what would be their motivation in putting something new out? And if others want to say "dude, the band doesn't even know we're alive;" "the band is inactive because they can afford to be inactive;" etc; then why does Wolf's occasional comments point to a dissatisfied fanbase?

And that's the shame of it all: most of us are only too grateful for the joy that the band has brought us; sadly, their perception doesn't match reality.
    I think you hit the nail on the head right there - that's exactly how the Van Halen's see the fan base.

It started with the poor reception of III and has continued to this day.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

01.20.20 @ 08:37 AM
    Liked 2,648 Times in 1,127 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah, probably. But why is the guy posting a question like that on Wolf's twitter?

That's like someone asking "What did you think of the change from Dave to Sam in 1985" on Dave's twitter and then expecting Dave not to say anything.

Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Just not necessary IMO.
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong because I don't use Twitter or anything, but it looked like that Mitch guy just posted that Wolf was announced as the bass player in 2006 on that particular day. It was just like a flashback thing (as most of his posts are), with no critical comments and then Wolf jumped in with the sarcastic comments mimicking what others had posted in 2006 and beyond.. Mitch tried to change the dialogue by asking him about his solo album. I don't know how twitter works though...
    Last edited by EJC; 11.05.19 at 01:01 PM.

Last Online

01.23.20 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Mitch wasn't trolling Wolf..... Mitch is a podcaster who interviews lots of guys in rock. His feed is full of the "This or That" type questions like comparing albums, stimulating talk about which songs are better etc.

He posted about Wolf taking over "This day in rock news" and Wolf went on a rant. Totally unnecessary on Wolf's part.

Look at Mitch's feed. This is what he does for a day job.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 17,210 Times in 7,582 Posts

Wolf is just overly sensitive. Period.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!