Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    Good Enough
    Last Online

01.25.20 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 103 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    I went to the first ZpZ tour out here, Vai and Brett Garsed guested that night. It was an amazing musical experience.
    Wow! Good for you....I saw the ZPZ tour a few years ago with a different line-up of course and it was still fucking amazing. My buddy and I met Dweezil after the show. He was very cordial, sweet, and appreciative of the fans.

I'm not sure, but i think it was near his last tour as ZPZ as shorty after that Gail Zappa passed and the shit hit the fan with all the Zappa Family Trust legal issues. Sadly, the one member of the family carrying Frank's torch was perhaps the one most screwed over in the legal fallout of Gail's death.

What a sad situation and one I'm sure Frank would be horrified to know about if he were alive. As I understand it, he took great pains to avoid exactly what happened in the end. I feel bad for Dweezil and also that Frank's incredible studio and home, "The Mother Ship" ended up sold to Lady Gaga of all people.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Last Online

01.25.20 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 2,649 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    I'm not sure, but i think it was near his last tour as ZPZ as shorty after that Gail Zappa passed and the shit hit the fan with all the Zappa Family Trust legal issues. Sadly, the one member of the family carrying Frank's torch was perhaps the one most screwed over in the legal fallout of Gail's death.

What a sad situation and one I'm sure Frank would be horrified to know about if he were alive. As I understand it, he took great pains to avoid exactly what happened in the end. I feel bad for Dweezil and also that Frank's incredible studio and home, "The Mother Ship" ended up sold to Lady Gaga of all people.
    Yep.. A lot of people don't know about all that. Dweezil tours constantly to make a living. That's why I'll go see him anytime he is near me. He is a true musician. Never met him personally, but everything I've seen online shows that he is super friendly. Did you see the one vid where he's talking about Eddie, and the guitar playing and all, and then right at the end - as to show what's more important than the music, he mentions while starting to cry that Eddie was the FIRST person to call him when his dad died... There is also a vid from 3 days after Frank died, and Ed and Dweezil are at the rockwalk, and Ed grabs Dweez and consoles him while hugging him. Eddie has always been like a big brother to Dweezil. 24 is young to lose your dad. I lost mine at 37, and my mom at 44 and I still feel like I was robbed of time with them.

2:46 mark

Last edited by EJC; 11.26.19 at 02:27 PM.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.25.20 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 12,946 Times in 7,089 Posts

Wow! Good for you....I saw the ZPZ tour a few years ago with a different line-up of course and it was still fucking amazing. My buddy and I met Dweezil after the show. He was very cordial, sweet, and appreciative of the fans.

I thought he called it the utility muffin research company, the studio he had.
    Something with muffin in the title.
    The mother ship was mister George Clinton.

I actually met Dweezil in the early 90s, when he did an in store at Tower records in Boston.
    He was still full on EVH mode, at that point, and was so cool to me.
    I met Ahmet too, liked him a lot.

Such a shame the family bond was broken.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

01.25.20 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 14,467 Times in 7,882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Yep.. A lot of people don't know about all that. Dweezil tours constantly to make a living. That's why I'll go see him anytime he is near me. He is a true musician. Never met him personally, but everything I've seen online shows that he is super friendly. Did you see the one vid where he's talking about Eddie, and the guitar playing and all, and then right at the end - as to show what's more important than the music, he mentions while starting to cry that Eddie was the FIRST person to call him when his dad died... There is also a vid from 3 days after Frank died, and Ed and Dweezil are at the rockwalk, and Ed grabs Dweez and consoles him while hugging him. Eddie has always been like a big brother to Dweezil. 24 is young to lose your dad. I lost mine at 37, and my mom at 44 and I still feel like I was robbed of time with them.

That was great. Never seen that before.

I have watched the one where Dweezil is playing live and talks about Ed being the first to call him and you can just see how emotional it is for him. A powerful moment onstage.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.25.20 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 1,400 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post

Cool seeing Eddie and Jimmy! Thanks for posting.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I thought he called it the utility muffin research company, the studio he had.
    Something with muffin in the title.
    The mother ship was mister George Clinton.

I actually met Dweezil in the early 90s, when he did an in store at Tower records in Boston.
    He was still full on EVH mode, at that point, and was so cool to me.
    I met Ahmet too, liked him a lot.

Such a shame the family bond was broken.
    I stand corrected, I believe that is the correct name of Frank's studio.....It's great that an actual musician now owns it, but sad too that a Zappa family member doesn't. It would have been great had Dweezil somehow obtained it after all the shit settled.

Dweezil played in Syracuse, NY back in early September and I didn't make the trek down. I regret it as it was at the Wescott Theatre which is a small, intimate venue and I'm sure I would have been able to meet him yet again.

I mentioned several months ago in a different thread that I think Dweezil would be an excellent choice to produce a Van Halen album. Mainly because he's an immense talent at things beyond just a guitarist. He has become a great arranger, composer, and engineer as well. Not to mention, he's a hell of a band leader given the complexity of Frank's music and how he leads the various incarnations of his bands while playing such music. Then there's the personal connection with Ed.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

I stand corrected, I believe that is the correct name of Frank's studio.....It's great that an actual musician now owns it, but sad too that a Zappa family member doesn't. It would have been great had Dweezil somehow obtained it after all the shit settled.

Dweezil played in Syracuse, NY back in early September and I didn't make the trek down. I regret it as it was at the Wescott Theatre which is a small, intimate venue and I'm sure I would have been able to meet him yet again.

I mentioned several months ago in a different thread that I think Dweezil would be an excellent choice to produce a Van Halen album. Mainly because he's an immense talent at things beyond just a guitarist. He has become a great arranger, composer, and engineer as well. Not to mention, he's a hell of a band leader given the complexity of Frank's music and how he leads the various incarnations of his bands while playing such music. Then there's the personal connection with Ed.
    I think it was Utility Muffin research kitchen (im too lazy to google it).

Dweezil was playing a slime green Fernandes Zo-3/Nomad, travel axe w/amp inside, during that Tower
    in-store.

He shredded on that thing, and inspired me to buy one at the time.

I loved the Z album, Shampoohorn, and told Ahmet, who seemed genuinely surprised.
    I told him "Loser" was brilliant, and i thought his lyrics were hysterical & kinda sad.
    He was a really nice dude, shyer than i expected.

I met Dweezil after, and like Ahmet, he was just super chill and articulate.
    I think i asked about his practice patterns when he was 14 or 15, and he explained
    everything.

I remember thinking, this guy is so articulate & clear, he'd make a great teacher.

Now, he does a Guitar World column and explains the ideas via youtube.
    Of course, his style is radically different at this point in his career.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.25.20 @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 2,401 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I think it was Utility Muffin research kitchen (im too lazy to google it).

Dweezil was playing a slime green Fernandes Zo-3/Nomad, travel axe w/amp inside, during that Tower
    in-store.

He shredded on that thing, and inspired me to buy one at the time.

I loved the Z album, Shampoohorn, and told Ahmet, who seemed genuinely surprised.
    I told him "Loser" was brilliant, and i thought his lyrics were hysterical & kinda sad.
    He was a really nice dude, shyer than i expected.

I met Dweezil after, and like Ahmet, he was just super chill and articulate.
    I think i asked about his practice patterns when he was 14 or 15, and he explained
    everything.

I remember thinking, this guy is so articulate & clear, he'd make a great teacher.

Now, he does a Guitar World column and explains the ideas via youtube.
    Of course, his style is radically different at this point in his career.
    How different? I had one of his solo record a while back but lost track. I know he does the Zappa plays Zappa stuff now.
    Little Dreamer

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    How different? I had one of his solo record a while back but lost track. I know he does the Zappa plays Zappa stuff now.
    I would say he's way different than the shredder type player from his early years in that he's expanded his pallet of styles and knowledge of theory. I have a suspicion this transition came about when he decided to embark upon the first Zappa Plays Zappa tour.

Learning his father's catalog and being able to lead the very talented musicians he assembled to perform it demanded he relearn the guitar and study in depth musical theory, composition, and arranging. Not just for guitar, but the plethora of instruments his father's music utilized....And then there's the entire vocal performance to learn....All this combined has no doubt made him the immense talent he's become.

Watching him on the DVD and in person a few years back, I could just see the knowledge and talent oozing from him. Okay, a bit dramatic, but I think you get my drift.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Here's a great youtube of Dweezil in Frank's studio, Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, discussing some guitars, amps, rigs, etc....Very cool!

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Hes obviously grown and become incredibly sophisticated with his phrasing and techniques, as hes utilizing a lot of Gamble style economy picking.

Yet, I kinda miss the young Dweezil, who was ripping like a kid Demartini or Van Halen.
    I loved his green charvel, as well.

I used to watch mtv in the 80 s, and he always had his guitar when he was the vj.
    Hes just bust out some licks, before going into a commercial.