Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 132
  1. #76
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    13,905
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 09:27 AM
    Likes
    8,415
    Liked 12,479 Times in 6,830 Posts

    Default

    Sounds like both Ed & Eric have even more in common:

    Holding onto past slights & grudges.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  2. #77
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.18.15
    Location
    Redding
    Posts
    1,509
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 981 Times in 542 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle C View Post
    Mid- 80s, Lukather got passes for himself, Ed and Val to see Clapton. Ed wanted to meet Eric, so all three go backstage but Eric would only let Ed in to see him, leaving Steve alone with Val. This was after Lukather had actually worked with Eric on a track called Forever Man. Lukather thinks Eric was upset because some time before Eric had gone to the Baked Potato to see Lukather play. The place was packed, and some idiot at the door wouldn't let Clapton in. Lukather tried to get hold of Eric alter that to apologize but was unable to reach him, even trying to apologize though third parties. Lukather apologizes to Eric in his book. I don't know if Clapton has a lack of regard for Ed, but if he does maybe that's part of it although I think it's far fetched.
    Never heard this story before. Guess the saying for Ed is true as well; you should never meet your idols...

  3. #78
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    15,047
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 11:27 AM
    Likes
    3,918
    Liked 6,650 Times in 3,456 Posts

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised that Eric views Eddie kind of like how Eddie views hair metal guitarists who tapped. I am sure he knows that Eddie claimed he was an influence and the result was VH1. He may be going "you missed the point." I would imagine now it probably has softened but I don't think Eric will think of Eddie like Gilmour, Townsend or Beck do.

  4. #79
    Good Enough pickslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.04
    Age
    51
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 01:33 PM
    Likes
    1,493
    Liked 1,299 Times in 736 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle C View Post
    You can bag on Ken Burns all you want for what I can only presume is his ignorance regarding Ed and Ed's influence, but to say he's an inept documentarian is simply wrong-minded. Burns a master of his particular craft. He could probably use a copy of Greg's book and some conversations with Ed's contemporaries.
    I tend to agree. Guy makes killer documentaries. Is he right about everything? Clearly not. But his movies are fascinating and you can learn a lot from watching them. Sounds to me like he hasn't paid close enough attention to Van Halen. Lots of people haven't. They only pay attention to the weedly wee bits and miss the earth-shatteringly good rhythm playing. I've had this debate with other musicians and music fans for years. My buddy and other guitarist in my band played Girl Gone Bad on his Alexa one night and was going off about the lead bits - which are of course fantastic. I told him to play it again and listen to the rhythm tracks under the solo. His jaw hit the floor. I cracked open another beer and just said, "THAT's why he's the best."

    TK

  5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  6. #80
    Eruption dropped-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.04.04
    Location
    pittsburgh
    Posts
    713
    Favorite VH Album

    like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

    damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

    11.08.19 @ 02:49 PM
    Likes
    710
    Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised that Eric views Eddie kind of like how Eddie views hair metal guitarists who tapped. I am sure he knows that Eddie claimed he was an influence and the result was VH1. He may be going "you missed the point." I would imagine now it probably has softened but I don't think Eric will think of Eddie like Gilmour, Townsend or Beck do.
    This is a really good supposition

    I bet that Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf would think the same of Eric and his “blues”. With the exception of the intro to Crossroads on that live album, Eric’s blues leave me cold and unaffected.

  7. #81
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,761
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 89 Times in 40 Posts

    Default

    A bit off topic, but to get a better understanding of Eric Clapton's personality, especially during the mid 80's time frame when he met Ed that was mentioned in a previous post, I highly recommend the recent documentary about Clapton called "Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars."

    It's a very raw and uncensored documentary in which Clapton lays bare his difficult childhood, mother issues, treatment of women and fans, his demons and addictions, his shameful behavior, and many regrets. It explains a great deal about Clapton's personality and how he has grown to be a much better person and human being in his twilight years.

    I think it's one of the finest documentaries I've seen and I highly recommend watching it.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  8. #82
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    2,967
    Favorite VH Song

    Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 07:46 PM
    Likes
    1,199
    Liked 1,978 Times in 1,128 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Clapton also took a dump on Alvin Lee back in the `70's. I kinda wonder if that's why Ten Years After didn't get more acclaim, Clapton made them "uncool." He was known as a guitar hero, so outside of a select few of his friends (Beck, Page, Townshend), he didn't have kind words for anyone who was clearly blowing him away.

    A few weeks ago Greg Renoff tweeted a pic from the `80's of Eddie and Jeff Beck having a little dinner together at somebody's house. That had to be surreal for the boy from Pasadena!

  9. #83
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    13,905
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 09:27 AM
    Likes
    8,415
    Liked 12,479 Times in 6,830 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    A bit off topic, but to get a better understanding of Eric Clapton's personality, especially during the mid 80's time frame when he met Ed that was mentioned in a previous post, I highly recommend the recent documentary about Clapton called "Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars."

    It's a very raw and uncensored documentary in which Clapton lays bare his difficult childhood, mother issues, treatment of women and fans, his demons and addictions, his shameful behavior, and many regrets. It explains a great deal about Clapton's personality and how he has grown to be a much better person and human being in his twilight years.

    I think it's one of the finest documentaries I've seen and I highly recommend watching it.
    Saw it and thought it was very scrapped together.

    They omit huge albums, the timeline jumps, they ignore major portions of his career.

    There was good insight into his awful mother & childhood, but other parts were ignored
    or rushed.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  10. #84
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    13,905
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 09:27 AM
    Likes
    8,415
    Liked 12,479 Times in 6,830 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Clapton also took a dump on Alvin Lee back in the `70's. I kinda wonder if that's why Ten Years After didn't get more acclaim, Clapton made them "uncool." He was known as a guitar hero, so outside of a select few of his friends (Beck, Page, Townshend), he didn't have kind words for anyone who was clearly blowing him away.

    A few weeks ago Greg Renoff tweeted a pic from the `80's of Eddie and Jeff Beck having a little dinner together at somebody's house. That had to be surreal for the boy from Pasadena!
    I felt like Alvin was kinda Ted Nugent, before Ted Nugent.

    He played a ton of repeating/box licks, and that was his bag.
    He was fast, but the licks were very late 60's/early 70's.

    Not long after, Frank Marino & Rory Gallagher were expanding those ideas,
    and blowing those Woodstock hippies out of the water.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  11. #85
    Super Duper Frontman track 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.04.00
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    8,480
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 06:37 PM
    Likes
    3,198
    Liked 1,189 Times in 632 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I don't care for ken on account of his dumb haircut. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

    You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

    "You stupid fuck!" Seen

    "Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

    " that's so pussy ass" Brook.

  12. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  13. #86
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,761
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 89 Times in 40 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Saw it and thought it was very scrapped together.

    They omit huge albums, the timeline jumps, they ignore major portions of his career.

    There was good insight into his awful mother & childhood, but other parts were ignored
    or rushed.
    I agree that it skips over much of his musical history, but all that has been done to death in various documentaries about Clapton over many years. I think, and this is just my opinion, the point of this particular spotlight into his life is more about his personal life beyond the music he's created.

    Obviously the music is still discussed, but what I find appealing in this documentary which he himself played a far greater hand in producing than any other, is the depth it goes into the humanity of the man. Where he began, where he's traveled to, and where he is now beyond just the fame, fortune, and trappings of a musical icon.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  14. #87
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,761
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 89 Times in 40 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Clapton also took a dump on Alvin Lee back in the `70's. I kinda wonder if that's why Ten Years After didn't get more acclaim, Clapton made them "uncool." He was known as a guitar hero, so outside of a select few of his friends (Beck, Page, Townshend), he didn't have kind words for anyone who was clearly blowing him away.

    A few weeks ago Greg Renoff tweeted a pic from the `80's of Eddie and Jeff Beck having a little dinner together at somebody's house. That had to be surreal for the boy from Pasadena!
    Cool....I think Beck has more influence on Eddie's style than some might think. At least to my amateur ears anyway.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  15. #88
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.28.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    1,747
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.10.19 @ 09:23 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Cool....I think Beck has more influence on Eddie's style than some might think. At least to my amateur ears anyway.
    To me, this opinion is just as valid as one from a professional critic or a panelist/judge for the RRHOF. What separates them from us? How are they more educated about a lick or song from an untrained guitarist than you or I? Ken Burns is no different here, he's a talented film maker but his opinions on music are no better or worse than the rest of us.

  16. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  17. #89
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,761
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 89 Times in 40 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgtr View Post
    To me, this opinion is just as valid as one from a professional critic or a panelist/judge for the RRHOF. What separates them from us? How are they more educated about a lick or song from an untrained guitarist than you or I? Ken Burns is no different here, he's a talented film maker but his opinions on music are no better or worse than the rest of us.
    I agree....Well said.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  18. #90
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.18.15
    Location
    Redding
    Posts
    1,509
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    11.13.19 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 981 Times in 542 Posts


    Premium Member

    Thumbs up

    [QUOTE=ericgtr;2287689]To me, this opinion is just as valid as one from a professional critic or a panelist/judge for the RRHOF. What separates them from us? How are they more educated about a lick or song from an untrained guitarist than you or I? Ken Burns is no different here, he's a talented film maker but his opinions on music are no better or worse than the rest of us.[/QUOT

    His civil war doc was well done in my opinion, but he missed the mark so bad on the baseball doc, it became unwatchable. In fact, nothing he’s done since his first “masterpiece” has held my attention long enough to continue watching. And I was really excited about the baseball doc when it came out. Just my take on his work.

    However, could not agree more as to the main point you are making. Well said.
    Last edited by Destructo3; 11.09.19 at 09:31 AM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. The Vietnam War - Ken Burns Series PBS
    By The Rover in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.18.17, 04:57 AM
  2. Eddie is a horrible human being that has no respect for music.
    By Dirty Water Doggie in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11.02.06, 09:30 PM
  3. The Man Burns in 184 days...
    By SeriousDooDoo in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03.03.06, 02:55 PM
  4. Respect Eddie !!
    By Jedi Master in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02.21.03, 02:56 PM
  5. It's official, Eddie get's no respect........
    By ETRIGAN in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10.19.02, 11:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •