II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 09:27 AM
    Liked 12,479 Times in 6,830 Posts

Sounds like both Ed & Eric have even more in common:

Holding onto past slights & grudges.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 09:48 AM
    Liked 981 Times in 542 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle C View Post
    Mid- 80s, Lukather got passes for himself, Ed and Val to see Clapton. Ed wanted to meet Eric, so all three go backstage but Eric would only let Ed in to see him, leaving Steve alone with Val. This was after Lukather had actually worked with Eric on a track called Forever Man. Lukather thinks Eric was upset because some time before Eric had gone to the Baked Potato to see Lukather play. The place was packed, and some idiot at the door wouldn't let Clapton in. Lukather tried to get hold of Eric alter that to apologize but was unable to reach him, even trying to apologize though third parties. Lukather apologizes to Eric in his book. I don't know if Clapton has a lack of regard for Ed, but if he does maybe that's part of it although I think it's far fetched.
    Never heard this story before. Guess the saying for Ed is true as well; you should never meet your idols...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 6,650 Times in 3,456 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised that Eric views Eddie kind of like how Eddie views hair metal guitarists who tapped. I am sure he knows that Eddie claimed he was an influence and the result was VH1. He may be going "you missed the point." I would imagine now it probably has softened but I don't think Eric will think of Eddie like Gilmour, Townsend or Beck do.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 1,299 Times in 736 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle C View Post
    You can bag on Ken Burns all you want for what I can only presume is his ignorance regarding Ed and Ed's influence, but to say he's an inept documentarian is simply wrong-minded. Burns a master of his particular craft. He could probably use a copy of Greg's book and some conversations with Ed's contemporaries.
    I tend to agree. Guy makes killer documentaries. Is he right about everything? Clearly not. But his movies are fascinating and you can learn a lot from watching them. Sounds to me like he hasn't paid close enough attention to Van Halen. Lots of people haven't. They only pay attention to the weedly wee bits and miss the earth-shatteringly good rhythm playing. I've had this debate with other musicians and music fans for years. My buddy and other guitarist in my band played Girl Gone Bad on his Alexa one night and was going off about the lead bits - which are of course fantastic. I told him to play it again and listen to the rhythm tracks under the solo. His jaw hit the floor. I cracked open another beer and just said, "THAT's why he's the best."

TK

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

11.08.19 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised that Eric views Eddie kind of like how Eddie views hair metal guitarists who tapped. I am sure he knows that Eddie claimed he was an influence and the result was VH1. He may be going "you missed the point." I would imagine now it probably has softened but I don't think Eric will think of Eddie like Gilmour, Townsend or Beck do.
    This is a really good supposition

I bet that Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf would think the same of Eric and his “blues”. With the exception of the intro to Crossroads on that live album, Eric’s blues leave me cold and unaffected.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 89 Times in 40 Posts

A bit off topic, but to get a better understanding of Eric Clapton's personality, especially during the mid 80's time frame when he met Ed that was mentioned in a previous post, I highly recommend the recent documentary about Clapton called "Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars."

It's a very raw and uncensored documentary in which Clapton lays bare his difficult childhood, mother issues, treatment of women and fans, his demons and addictions, his shameful behavior, and many regrets. It explains a great deal about Clapton's personality and how he has grown to be a much better person and human being in his twilight years.

I think it's one of the finest documentaries I've seen and I highly recommend watching it.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 07:46 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

Clapton also took a dump on Alvin Lee back in the `70's. I kinda wonder if that's why Ten Years After didn't get more acclaim, Clapton made them "uncool." He was known as a guitar hero, so outside of a select few of his friends (Beck, Page, Townshend), he didn't have kind words for anyone who was clearly blowing him away.

A few weeks ago Greg Renoff tweeted a pic from the `80's of Eddie and Jeff Beck having a little dinner together at somebody's house. That had to be surreal for the boy from Pasadena!

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    A bit off topic, but to get a better understanding of Eric Clapton's personality, especially during the mid 80's time frame when he met Ed that was mentioned in a previous post, I highly recommend the recent documentary about Clapton called "Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars."

It's a very raw and uncensored documentary in which Clapton lays bare his difficult childhood, mother issues, treatment of women and fans, his demons and addictions, his shameful behavior, and many regrets. It explains a great deal about Clapton's personality and how he has grown to be a much better person and human being in his twilight years.

I think it's one of the finest documentaries I've seen and I highly recommend watching it.
    Saw it and thought it was very scrapped together.

They omit huge albums, the timeline jumps, they ignore major portions of his career.

There was good insight into his awful mother & childhood, but other parts were ignored
    or rushed.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Clapton also took a dump on Alvin Lee back in the `70's. I kinda wonder if that's why Ten Years After didn't get more acclaim, Clapton made them "uncool." He was known as a guitar hero, so outside of a select few of his friends (Beck, Page, Townshend), he didn't have kind words for anyone who was clearly blowing him away.

A few weeks ago Greg Renoff tweeted a pic from the `80's of Eddie and Jeff Beck having a little dinner together at somebody's house. That had to be surreal for the boy from Pasadena!
    I felt like Alvin was kinda Ted Nugent, before Ted Nugent.

He played a ton of repeating/box licks, and that was his bag.
    He was fast, but the licks were very late 60's/early 70's.

Not long after, Frank Marino & Rory Gallagher were expanding those ideas,
    and blowing those Woodstock hippies out of the water.

Last Online

11.13.19 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 1,189 Times in 632 Posts

Premium Member

I don't care for ken on account of his dumb haircut. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

" that's so pussy ass" Brook.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Saw it and thought it was very scrapped together.

They omit huge albums, the timeline jumps, they ignore major portions of his career.

There was good insight into his awful mother & childhood, but other parts were ignored
    or rushed.
    I agree that it skips over much of his musical history, but all that has been done to death in various documentaries about Clapton over many years. I think, and this is just my opinion, the point of this particular spotlight into his life is more about his personal life beyond the music he's created.

Obviously the music is still discussed, but what I find appealing in this documentary which he himself played a far greater hand in producing than any other, is the depth it goes into the humanity of the man. Where he began, where he's traveled to, and where he is now beyond just the fame, fortune, and trappings of a musical icon.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post

Cool....I think Beck has more influence on Eddie's style than some might think. At least to my amateur ears anyway.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.10.19 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Cool....I think Beck has more influence on Eddie's style than some might think. At least to my amateur ears anyway.
    To me, this opinion is just as valid as one from a professional critic or a panelist/judge for the RRHOF. What separates them from us? How are they more educated about a lick or song from an untrained guitarist than you or I? Ken Burns is no different here, he's a talented film maker but his opinions on music are no better or worse than the rest of us.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ericgtr View Post
    To me, this opinion is just as valid as one from a professional critic or a panelist/judge for the RRHOF. What separates them from us? How are they more educated about a lick or song from an untrained guitarist than you or I? Ken Burns is no different here, he's a talented film maker but his opinions on music are no better or worse than the rest of us.
    I agree....Well said.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 09:48 AM
    Liked 981 Times in 542 Posts

Premium Member

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=ericgtr;2287689]To me, this opinion is just as valid as one from a professional critic or a panelist/judge for the RRHOF. What separates them from us? How are they more educated about a lick or song from an untrained guitarist than you or I? Ken Burns is no different here, he's a talented film maker but his opinions on music are no better or worse than the rest of us.[/QUOT

His civil war doc was well done in my opinion, but he missed the mark so bad on the baseball doc, it became unwatchable. In fact, nothing he’s done since his first “masterpiece” has held my attention long enough to continue watching. And I was really excited about the baseball doc when it came out. Just my take on his work.

However, could not agree more as to the main point you are making. Well said.
    Last edited by Destructo3; 11.09.19 at 09:31 AM.