2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

12.05.19 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 735 Times in 492 Posts

That's not an easy job since there are lots of cool records well done and produced out there.

- Van Halen - Van Halen (produced by Ted Templeman, engineered by Donn Landee)
    (IT'S DIFFICULT to overstate the effect VH's debut had upon its release. Kerrang - 1978 - And I agree!!)

- 2 Low 4 Zero - Elton John (produced by Chris Thomas, mixed by Bill Price)
    (Excellent record! 2.L.4.0. put Elton back to the charts in the US after some so and so records (even though I enjoy Jump Up!))

- Like a Virgin - Madonna (produced by Madonna & Nile Rodgers)
    (Another pop record that I do enjoy a lot - Madonna was a fan of Rodgers and Chic and he thought she was about to become a star and it was like a perfect match back in the day when WB told her she could work with Nile. I listen to tunes like Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Love Don't Live Here Anymore or Shoo Bee Doo and think that it was recorded by Chic (Nile, Edwards and Thompson). And there is more - Dave Weckl recorded the other drum parts (stuff like Angel, Dress you Up, Over & Over)!!

- Screaming for Vengeance - Judas Priest (produced by Tom Allom)
    (Maybe not today, but back in the day this record had such an impact on me. Damn! They sounded much heavier than British Steel or Point of Entry and even more heavier than Iron Maiden did)

- Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zep (produced by Jimmy Page, engineered by Andy Johns)
    (Page was already a monster as a producer and, to me, he went even further. He excelled what he did until IV. I enjoy a lot the diversity of the songs and the drum sounds they got on IV)

- Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying? (produced by Dave Mustaine & Randy Burns, engineered by Randy Burns)
    (To me, PS... BWB is a milestone to the Thrash Metal music that was being made back to the mid 1980s. Jape mentioned Metallica's RTL and its heavy guitars and I agree, but I do not like the drum sounds in a few tunes. Maybe it was the studio or the way it was recorded. Whatever it is I do enjoy Gar's sound and what they got from his Black Beauty drum kit. IMHO, Peace Sells had almost everything to mess up (Chris and Gar were on heavy drugs, Mustaine and Dave Jr. were homeless). However, it was a success)
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 04:32 AM
    Liked 14,177 Times in 7,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    I agree, the drum BUS compressor's attack and release settings are way too slow on that record overall. Might have been on purpose given Tom's wanting to highlight his new guitar tech and also the organ track issues.

But, 99% of the people hearing the record will never notice stuff like this.
    Lol, your knowledge of the technical aspects of recording far surpasses mine, but to me the drums on Boston albums seem so "flat", for lack of a better term. Just no resonance to them to my ears.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    That's not an easy job since there are lots of cool records well done and produced out there.

- Van Halen - Van Halen (produced by Ted Templeman, engineered by Donn Landee)
    (IT'S DIFFICULT to overstate the effect VH's debut had upon its release. Kerrang - 1978 - And I agree!!)

- 2 Low 4 Zero - Elton John (produced by Chris Thomas, mixed by Bill Price)
    (Excellent record! 2.L.4.0. put Elton back to the charts in the US after some so and so records (even though I enjoy Jump Up!))

- Like a Virgin - Madonna (produced by Madonna & Nile Rodgers)
    (Another pop record that I do enjoy a lot - Madonna was a fan of Rodgers and Chic and he thought she was about to become a star and it was like a perfect match back in the day when WB told her she could work with Nile. I listen to tunes like Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Love Don't Live Here Anymore or Shoo Bee Doo and think that it was recorded by Chic (Nile, Edwards and Thompson). And there is more - Dave Weckl recorded the other drum parts (stuff like Angel, Dress you Up, Over & Over)!!

- Screaming for Vengeance - Judas Priest (produced by Tom Allom)
    (Maybe not today, but back in the day this record had such an impact on me. Damn! They sounded much heavier than British Steel or Point of Entry and even more heavier than Iron Maiden did)

- Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zep (produced by Jimmy Page, engineered by Andy Johns)
    (Page was already a monster as a producer and, to me, he went even further. He excelled what he did until IV. I enjoy a lot the diversity of the songs and the drum sounds they got on IV)

- Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying? (produced by Dave Mustaine & Randy Burns, engineered by Randy Burns)
    (To me, PS... BWB is a milestone to the Thrash Metal music that was being made back to the mid 1980s. Jape mentioned Metallica's RTL and its heavy guitars and I agree, but I do not like the drum sounds in a few tunes. Maybe it was the studio or the way it was recorded. Whatever it is I do enjoy Gar's sound and what they got from his Black Beauty drum kit. IMHO, Peace Sells had almost everything to mess up (Chris and Gar were on heavy drugs, Mustaine and Dave Jr. were homeless). However, it was a success)
    The bass drum sound on LZIV is THE bass drum sound I wish was on VH tracks like Mean Street. Fair Warning is one of the best produced albums, but I just wish there was a little more "boom" in Al's kick on a few of the tracks.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 01:59 AM
    Liked 1,761 Times in 936 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I know a lot of people LOVE the production on Boston albums, but man, there's always been something so "sterile" about them to me. I just dont dig the drum sound on those albums, though I do like Boston a lot. Hard to explain.
    I agree, some great songs for sure, but it's all very sterile. Even the so called classic Scholz guitar tone, it's so over processed.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    I agree, some great songs for sure, but it's all very sterile. Even the so called classic Scholz guitar tone, it's so over processed.
    YES! I actually didnt want to be the one to say that. I'm glad a guitarist said it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 04:29 AM
    Liked 2,007 Times in 1,150 Posts

Premium Member

I'm glad I posted this question! I'm hearing things I'd never heard of or ever looked into!

A long time ago a friend had the DVD of "The Making of Aja," and told me it was supposed to be the best-produced record ever. I guess at the time I wasn't into such things and thought, "It sounds okay, I guess?" Now that I looked up that Donald Fagen "Nightfly" album -- WHOA! That's unbelievable! I'm going to have to dial up that one and Aja and give them a real listen.

I think I remember hearing of Eve 6 before? I guess they came out back around Blink 182 and Maroon 5 and when C.C. DeVille had Samantha 7? One of those number bands? I'll have to listen to that closer, too.

Thanks for all these great answers!

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 24,883 Times in 14,128 Posts

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 9,211 Times in 6,627 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I'm glad I posted this question! I'm hearing things I'd never heard of or ever looked into!

A long time ago a friend had the DVD of "The Making of Aja," and told me it was supposed to be the best-produced record ever. I guess at the time I wasn't into such things and thought, "It sounds okay, I guess?" Now that I looked up that Donald Fagen "Nightfly" album -- WHOA! That's unbelievable! I'm going to have to dial up that one and Aja and give them a real listen.

I think I remember hearing of Eve 6 before? I guess they came out back around Blink 182 and Maroon 5 and when C.C. DeVille had Samantha 7? One of those number bands? I'll have to listen to that closer, too.

Thanks for all these great answers!
    "There's plenty of room in the record stores, and room for everybody on tour..." - DLR.
    Plenty of great music out there in multiple genres that sounds great.

I love the slick and modern production of 'Radio Free America', the solo album Sambora did with Orianthi. Some great songs (even a Sonny & Cher cover) and emotive singing/playing by both of them.

To your OP, the sounds and tones are impeccable IMO. And that's coming from a guy who couldn't stand Orianthi before this... Haha.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.05.19 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 12,597 Times in 6,902 Posts

Man, that Boston album has slick guitar tones.

This was 1976, and Scholz created a singular tone that was like a spaceship.

You can claim it's over processed in 2019, but back then, it was ground breaking.
    I love the chorus/distortion mix, and i still love the drums all over the debut.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.05.19 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 12,597 Times in 6,902 Posts

From the same year, i think, i also really love the production on BOC's "Agents of fortune."

There's a cool, semi dissonant thing happening there.
    Another one that sounded incredible on vinyl through huge 70's speakers.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 05:28 AM
    Liked 2,377 Times in 1,605 Posts

yeah, i'm shocked at the negative comments about Boston, but then I don't play an instrument so what do I know? Sometimes I think about getting the remastered version, but why? I think it sounds fine as is. The instruments are clear and the mix seems fine. Something like Who's Next - don't get me wrong - great album - but always sounded kind of muddy and dull to me.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 05:28 AM
    Liked 2,377 Times in 1,605 Posts

now, Third Stage on the other hand - if they wanted to remaster that I think I'd be okay with it
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online