Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

11.11.19 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 1,225 Times in 498 Posts

Premium Member

7 mins in
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    strange that 4 years to the day i sat 3rd row and saw VH that we this discussion

blazing way to go out tho
    My anniversary will be on October 4th in three days. I called it a bittersweet 'Last Van Halen Show' back then. Now it appears it was indeed the last Van Halen show.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 848 Times in 404 Posts

If VH "as we know it" is done then that is very sad but what a great run all things considered. With that said it wouldn't surprise me to hear from Ed and AL in the next 6 months saying they are not done and they have no idea what Dave is talking about.
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

5. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    and that was the first night dave did that bit of...

ed...the best years of my life have been spent on stage with you man

regardless of the history, a very genuine and sincere moment
    Yep. The syntax onstage at the HB was odd at the time. The quick PA tease toward Dave from Ed was odder. Wolfie seemed over it. But bottom line, Dave apparently was feelin' a possible finality. Good on him for trying a couple more times to rouse the machine. But he's moving on. I hope his guitarists get better before January.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

11.13.19 @ 01:42 PM
    Liked 4,558 Times in 1,719 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    How do you mean?
    I can’t see them coming back as a jazz trio, and they can forget Mitch Malloy.
    I think Dave saying "Van Halen isn’t going to be coming back in the fashion that you know" means that the brothers don't see the future of VH as anything we've seen in the past. I agree that I don't see them coming back as a jazz trio. Honestly I don't see Eddie and Alex coming back at all at this point.

That's why my translation is "The brothers see Wolfgang as the future of Van Halen." Not necessarily Van Halen in name, but in spirit or in banner. The brothers have checked out. So if Dave's statement implies that some form of VH is coming back in a different fashion then all signs point to it not being Ed and Al. That only leaves Wolf.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 24,617 Times in 13,987 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    If VH "as we know it" is done then that is very sad but what a great run all things considered. With that said it wouldn't surprise me to hear from Ed and AL in the next 6 months saying they are not done and they have no idea what Dave is talking about.
    I don't think any of us typically know what Dave is talking about, but I doubt we'll be hearing from Ed or Al anytime soon.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I don't think any of us typically know what Dave is talking about, but I doubt we'll be hearing from Ed or Al anytime soon.
    Nope.

Last Online

11.13.19 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 1,031 Times in 552 Posts

Premium Member

I think Dave (and probably Irving Azoff) repeatedly pushed for some sort of tour/album action the last few years and it came to shit or get off the pot with the brothers early this year and Eddie probably said "pass me another roll of toilet paper."

And I really think there's not going to be any sort of archival releases at least the near future as Eddie seems to have it in his head they either get 1980's era money to put something out or "not gonna bother." I'm sure the ADKOT and Tokyo Dome work and production costs vs. sales cemented that belief.

Here in 2019, I'm fine with how things have probably ended with this band. This could have very easily been the end back in 2004-2006 which would have been pretty sad. At least Eddie mostly redeemed himself and didn't totally wreck the band's legacy.

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

11.07.19 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 126 Times in 39 Posts

Maybe we did hear from Ed recently, maybe, hanging up his guitar in the museum exhibit was the sign
    we don't want to accept.. that could be his way of saying

Here is my guitar that you have idolized so long, enjoy.. I am done

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 82 Times in 31 Posts

I think Dave says it all...

He's the Torch of Van Halen now. I think he's saying that any future hearings of anything played live by Van Halen is going to be done by how he's doing it now. You can also take what Sammy has said about having "One more time" with Ed as an indication of where things stand.

But to me, the biggest "clue" is Dave being completely respectful of Ed in saying it's his story to tell. That's pretty fucking classy of Dave, and it tells me that Eddie's health is playing a huge part in this.

Van Halen was a magical band, and if this is it (which I'm guessing it is), it was one hell of a great ride.

17. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 24,617 Times in 13,987 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    I think Dave (and probably Irving Azoff) repeatedly pushed for some sort of tour/album action the last few years and it came to shit or get off the pot with the brothers early this year and Eddie probably said "pass me another roll of toilet paper."

And I really think there's not going to be any sort of archival releases at least the near future as Eddie seems to have it in his head they either get 1980's era money to put something out or "not gonna bother." I'm sure the ADKOT and Tokyo Dome work and production costs vs. sales cemented that belief.

Here in 2019, I'm fine with how things have probably ended with this band. This could have very easily been the end back in 2004-2006 which would have been pretty sad. At least Eddie mostly redeemed himself and didn't totally wreck the band's legacy.
    I don't know? The fact that this is the only time we got to see these four guys onstage together in the last 35 years is pretty sad …

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

19. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I don't know? The fact that this is the only time we got to see these four guys onstage together in the last 35 years is pretty sad …
    Come on. You have nothing to whine about. You saw the fucking Invasion tour. Don't be gluttonous.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 2,601 Times in 1,233 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna write something like that but this time it feels a lot more like 1985 than Ed saying he doesn't know where Dave is living while they were rehearsing together for a tour or the other scent-throwing crap they get off on. This sounds pretty much like Dave getting tired of "wasting entire mornings sitting on a bench outside the studio waiting for the VH brothers to drag themselves out of bed"

It's sad, indeed.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna write something like that but this time it feels a lot more like 1985 than Ed saying he doesn't know where Dave is living while they were rehearsing together for a tour or the other scent-throwing crap they get off on. This sounds pretty much like Dave getting tired of "wasting entire mornings sitting on a bench outside the studio waiting for the VH brothers to drag themselves out of bed"

It's sad, indeed.
    It's a bit more than that. This isn't a case of Eddie being unmotivated or lazy.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 2,318 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Yep. That last show at the Hollywood Bowl did seem somewhat final, but none of us quite wanted to believe it.

Dave tried to fire it up a couple more times, but to no avail.

There won't be any Sam Halen revival either. This isn't another case of singer shuffle.

Eddie is retired.
    Hold your horses, partner. How do you know that for a fact? This band has been known to do frequent 180s, defying logic and past statements.
    Little Dreamer