Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 345
  1. #31
    Good Enough right-here-i-say's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.12.04
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    1,597
    Last Online

    12.08.19 @ 04:21 PM
    Likes
    316
    Liked 241 Times in 125 Posts

    Default

    I'd rather have 1 Ed than 3 guitarists. (As would everyone else here)

    With that said, I believe this could work. Not many guitarists are like Eddie where he can screw around with the song and it will sound great.

    Having three can provide a nice fuller sound and hopefully they can do good background vocals.

    I'm not declaring this video to be that great. They were rehearsing.

    Dave looks fit and looks old. Very old. Older than he is.
    Right here I say....

  2. #32
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    14,116
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 11:43 AM
    Likes
    8,531
    Liked 12,639 Times in 6,923 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    WTF af tbh?

    This career dismount is going rough.

    Dave could form a better band with some of us here! There's no need for three guitars playing a single riff, and the grooves are as stiff as Herman Munster. Way too slow. The largely blank expressions on their faces also say everything. How about faking some stage presence, fellas?

    I'm sure Dave believes in using every last drop of toothpaste from the tube, but boy...this makes me look at my own self in the mirror more closely. 50 is around the corner!

    Here's another clip:

    https://www.facebook.com/berrybly/vi...7784670239917/
    It pains me to even say this, but it's like watching an SCTV skit, where they lampoon
    what they considered an aged DLR to sound/act like.

    "Panama" is still just brutal to hear.
    He can't seem to figure that one out.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  4. #33
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    3,050
    Favorite VH Song

    Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 01:19 PM
    Likes
    1,232
    Liked 2,022 Times in 1,158 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    It pains me to even say this, but it's like watching an SCTV skit, where they lampoon
    what they considered an aged DLR to sound/act like.
    This is way too accurate. It's like Dave could've replaced that "future Dave" segment in the "A Lil' Ain't Enough" video with this clip.

    The band moves like SCTV stage hands who have been given guitars and told to move around and act like a band, but they have no clue how to.

  5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  6. #34
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,701
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 12:30 PM
    Likes
    49,524
    Liked 14,209 Times in 7,737 Posts

    Default

    Dave was mostly fine in the clips. The band is slooooow though.

    Not surprised one bit to see most people here shitting on him. Oh well.

  7. #35
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    3,050
    Favorite VH Song

    Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 01:19 PM
    Likes
    1,232
    Liked 2,022 Times in 1,158 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Yes, someone is out of tune.

    Listen to the opening of "Ain't Talkin' `Bout Love." I think that intro should be a test. If you can't make the arpeggio of "Ain't Talkin' `Bout Love" flow, do NOT attempting anything else in the Van Halen catalog!

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #36
    Eruption xk319's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.10.07
    Posts
    994
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    12.11.19 @ 07:30 PM
    Likes
    1,086
    Liked 589 Times in 262 Posts

    Default

    I can't believe he can still do this.


  10. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:


  11. #37
    Atomic Punk BREW CREW's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.09.00
    Age
    47
    Posts
    12,305
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

    12.04.19 @ 05:18 PM
    Likes
    64
    Liked 586 Times in 356 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Yes, someone is out of tune.

    Listen to the opening of "Ain't Talkin' `Bout Love." I think that intro should be a test. If you can't make the arpeggio of "Ain't Talkin' `Bout Love" flow, do NOT attempting anything else in the Van Halen catalog!
    The guy with the tele is out of tune.
    Van Halen songs can't be played properly in a live setting with more than 1 guitarist on stage (very few exceptions) the looseness is lost in those recent vids.
    Just go for it!

  12. #38
    Good Enough CalFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.12.13
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,910
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    12.11.19 @ 09:16 PM
    Likes
    710
    Liked 1,762 Times in 937 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I think this thing Dave is doing will be fine for the casual fan, which is none of us here. We are all highly critical of anyone who puts themselves in a Van Halen's shoe. These guys playing guitar and drums in this are headed for a whipping. They probably know that, but the size of the pay check is worth it, at least for now.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

  13. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  14. #39
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    14,116
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 11:43 AM
    Likes
    8,531
    Liked 12,639 Times in 6,923 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Dave was mostly fine in the clips. The band is slooooow though.

    Not surprised one bit to see most people here shitting on him. Oh well.
    Mostly fine?

    Dude, you need to be just a tiny bit more objective, sometimes.

    It's like this inborn reflex pops up, if there's anything critical posted about Dave.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  16. #40
    Sinner's Swing! Rokgtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.14.99
    Posts
    3,797
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 11:20 AM
    Likes
    1,437
    Liked 1,851 Times in 912 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Should have called Jacob Deraps!


  17. #41
    Atomic Punk Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    40,219
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 01:59 PM
    Likes
    2,667
    Liked 11,254 Times in 6,223 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    My point is, Dave has ALWAYS had world class guitar players on stage with him. You can't half-ass VH. It's one of the few bands where the guitar playing is MORE important than anything vocally. That's why he always plucked guys from the Atomic Punks...
    It's Vegas. One guitar player gets fired every night until Dave finds the next one you all would recommend.

    &... Dave has half assed VH with VH.

    &VH4

  18. #42
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,701
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 12:30 PM
    Likes
    49,524
    Liked 14,209 Times in 7,737 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Mostly fine?

    Dude, you need to be just a tiny bit more objective, sometimes.

    It's like this inborn reflex pops up, if there's anything critical posted about Dave.
    He yelps occasionally, but talk sang, as he's done for many years, through most of that 2 1/2 minute video in the first post. Is there a longer clip of Panama than the snippet shown there? What exactly was so bad in that one if there isnt?



    Let's see, an aging singer struggling to hold notes who sounds out of breath through most of the song and, gasp, also "yelps" a few times. He also doesnt exactly look to limber waddling around up there either. But I'd still say for a dinosaur he's "mostly fine" because I'll take his age into consideration.

    Now, I would expect all the supremely "objective" posters in this thread to roast Sam at least a little, but no, he will be forgiven for being 71 and will actually be hailed as supposedly not having lost hardly anything of his voice. Ok, sure. It's Sam, the Pavarotti of rock.

  19. #43
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    40
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,683
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,465
    Liked 8,084 Times in 4,072 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    It is what it is. Both guys are collecting social security.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  21. #44
    Atomic Punk Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    40,219
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 01:59 PM
    Likes
    2,667
    Liked 11,254 Times in 6,223 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    He yelps occasionally, but talk sang, as he's done for many years, through most of that 2 1/2 minute video in the first post. Is there a longer clip of Panama than the snippet shown there? What exactly was so bad in that one if there isnt?



    Let's see, an aging singer struggling to hold notes who sounds out of breath through most of the song and, gasp, also "yelps" a few times. He also doesnt exactly look to limber waddling around up there either. But I'd still say for a dinosaur he's "mostly fine" because I'll take his age into consideration.

    Now, I would expect all the supremely "objective" posters in this thread to roast Sam at least a little, but no, he will be forgiven for being 71 and will actually be hailed as supposedly not having lost hardly anything of his voice. Ok, sure. It's Sam, the Pavarotti of rock.
    Dick!

  22. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  23. #45
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,701
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    12.12.19 @ 12:30 PM
    Likes
    49,524
    Liked 14,209 Times in 7,737 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    It is what it is. Both guys are collecting social security.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. VHLinks VH Rehearsal Show Thread - 02.08.12
    By Brett in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1090
    Last Post: 02.16.12, 11:33 AM
  2. Getty Images From Last Night's Rehearsal Show!
    By SKVH4 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02.14.12, 03:11 PM
  3. Which way to the private show?
    By Special Plans in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02.07.07, 10:24 AM
  4. Friday night Las Vegas show..CANCELLED!
    By lightemup55 in forum The Red Rocker
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08.02.06, 08:43 AM
  5. vegas show
    By The Show Must Go On in forum "Song For Song" Tour 2002
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08.16.02, 09:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •