Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.27.19 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 3,229 Times in 2,207 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Hoo ra, J.

Shreddin it up in the city of raisins, car theft rings, homicide, and smog.

Lol. Fuckin’ Fresno. Cali has a total of 4 uniquely stanky dank armpits. Fresno is one of ‘em.
    I think you got FRESNO all wrong...... lol...

You must have missed what they told Dave on the plane to Fresno. I heard FRESNO IS THE FUCKIN ROCK N ROLL CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!!!! At 22:02

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 09:18 AM
    Liked 265 Times in 186 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    People really need to go back to that extended JAM during YRGM. 18:00 to 20:11 of the OP. That is Club Days VH hitting the big time. That groove they had going was unreal. Firing on ALL cylinders.
    thing is it's hard to impress modern generations with it these days because it's been done over and over. It was unreal and unheard of at the time though

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 24,676 Times in 14,016 Posts

Van Halen, Raisin Hell in Fresno.

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 14,008 Times in 7,623 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    thing is it's hard to impress modern generations with it these days because it's been done over and over. It was unreal and unheard of at the time though
    Not as good as those guys, though. Watching almost all bands live today, it is so sterile and "safe".

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 09:18 AM
    Liked 265 Times in 186 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Not as good as those guys, though. Watching almost all bands live today, it is so sterile and "safe".
    In all fairness, we have nostalgia tied to our love for bands like VH, but a lot of the younger crowd don't. For my 16 year old son, Green Day is the Be All, End All for rock music. At first I thought, "you've got to be kidding me" but that was his gateway to getting into GNR, AC/DC, and a bit of Metallica. He's just recently starting to talk about EVH. I can't wait until his ears open to Yngwie, but then again, every YouTube'r in the world can play like these guys now, so it's not as impressive to them to go back and hear EVH & Yngwie. It's being done by everyone now. So 30 years from now my kid is probably going to still talk about Green Day the way I do about KISS, as they were my gateway. While I no longer love KISS the way I did when I was 5, 6, 7, 8 years old, they will always be my "favorite" in some bizarre sort of way. Younger generations can "hear" the music but they don't "feel" it the way we do. They feel the same thing but for different music.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 09:27 AM
    Liked 710 Times in 475 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    9-22-78 Selland Arena

The best band that ever stepped on Earth!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

10. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    I think you got FRESNO all wrong...... lol...

You must have missed what they told Dave on the plane to Fresno. I heard FRESNO IS THE FUCKIN ROCK N ROLL CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!!!! At 22:02
    I DEFINITELY don't have Fresno wrong. Been there, done that, bought the t shirt. It's a hellhole.

It's among the two stinkier armpits of CA.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Liked 14,008 Times in 7,623 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    In all fairness, we have nostalgia tied to our love for bands like VH, but a lot of the younger crowd don't. For my 16 year old son, Green Day is the Be All, End All for rock music. At first I thought, "you've got to be kidding me" but that was his gateway to getting into GNR, AC/DC, and a bit of Metallica. He's just recently starting to talk about EVH. I can't wait until his ears open to Yngwie, but then again, every YouTube'r in the world can play like these guys now, so it's not as impressive to them to go back and hear EVH & Yngwie. It's being done by everyone now. So 30 years from now my kid is probably going to still talk about Green Day the way I do about KISS, as they were my gateway. While I no longer love KISS the way I did when I was 5, 6, 7, 8 years old, they will always be my "favorite" in some bizarre sort of way. Younger generations can "hear" the music but they don't "feel" it the way we do. They feel the same thing but for different music.
    Green Day blows.

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Liked 2,187 Times in 923 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Same as LWAN, in a way. Awesome, yet just another tour date with Van Halen.
    There's a difference between guys in their early 20s on their 1st world tour going all out as an opening act on the front 3rd of someone else's stage trying to prove themselves vs. guys in their 30s who are already multi-millionaires with multiple platinum albums under their belt, Ferrari's, endorsement deals, etc.

That type of hunger/fire can only be captured once. It's really cool to see. I'd watch these types of vids all day over the more polished Oakland stuff or anything professionally recorded/produced.

~E
    Last edited by EJC; 09.16.19 at 12:51 PM.

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

11.19.19 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 1,043 Times in 559 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I DEFINITELY don't have Fresno wrong. Been there, done that, bought the t shirt. It's a hellhole.

It's among the two stinkier armpits of CA.
    Can't argue with that. My mother's sister and her family used to own a small grape farm south of Fresno in Delano in the late 60's-early 70's and my parents would send my brother, sister and I there for a few weeks right in the middle of Summer so they could have some peace and quiet. One Summer in 1969-1970 was right in the middle of the Cesar Chavez migrant workers strike and every night someone would vandalize the fields and take shots at the house. This despite the fact their farm was so small, they never employed any workers, they picked and processed their crops themselves. Going to the public pool at a local High School to cool off was a nightmare.

Sacramento sucked too. I stayed out there for a few weeks over a Christmas break around '92 helping a friend fix up a house he was going to flip. I think a lot of in-breeding happens in those parts of the state.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

10.23.19 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 306 Times in 104 Posts

This entire video just oozes the "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet" philosophy of not only Eddie but the entire band. Incredible footage.

For a long time I have said, and this only confirms my feeling, that I would give up almost any concert experience I have ever had, for the opportunity to instead have caught Van Halen as an opening act on this tour or with Journey, and going in with no prior experience or knowledge of the band -- except maybe hearing those first couple songs on the radio. Because the old-timers here have all had the concert experience of buying tickets to see the headliner, but knowing nothing of the support act. (Not so much today, where you can look up any new opener on YouTube or wherever.) To me, one of the most incredible experiences possible, would have been to just be in the audience at one of these shows just to see the headliner -- and then being absolutely gobsmacked by the power, energy, musicianship and pure spectacle of Van Halen at that time. I envy those who lived that experience.

In fairness, seeing the Van Halen II tour was pure awesomeness in itself -- but by then, I was already a full-fledged fan and went in with great expectations. (Which were all exceeded by the way.)
    "I'm just a normal schmo like anybody else." ó Eddie Van Halen, 1998

18. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 24,676 Times in 14,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Magic View Post
    This entire video just oozes the "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet" philosophy of not only Eddie but the entire band. Incredible footage.

For a long time I have said, and this only confirms my feeling, that I would give up almost any concert experience I have ever had, for the opportunity to instead have caught Van Halen as an opening act on this tour or with Journey, and going in with no prior experience or knowledge of the band -- except maybe hearing those first couple songs on the radio. Because the old-timers here have all had the concert experience of buying tickets to see the headliner, but knowing nothing of the support act. (Not so much today, where you can look up any new opener on YouTube or wherever.) To me, one of the most incredible experiences possible, would have been to just be in the audience at one of these shows just to see the headliner -- and then being absolutely gobsmacked by the power, energy, musicianship and pure spectacle of Van Halen at that time. I envy those who lived that experience.

In fairness, seeing the Van Halen II tour was pure awesomeness in itself -- but by then, I was already a full-fledged fan and went in with great expectations. (Which were all exceeded by the way.)
    Great post. My first Van Halen concert was also on the VH II tour. I will always regret missing them in 1978.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Can't argue with that. My mother's sister and her family used to own a small grape farm south of Fresno in Delano in the late 60's-early 70's and my parents would send my brother, sister and I there for a few weeks right in the middle of Summer so they could have some peace and quiet. One Summer in 1969-1970 was right in the middle of the Cesar Chavez migrant workers strike and every night someone would vandalize the fields and take shots at the house. This despite the fact their farm was so small, they never employed any workers, they picked and processed their crops themselves. Going to the public pool at a local High School to cool off was a nightmare.

Sacramento sucked too. I stayed out there for a few weeks over a Christmas break around '92 helping a friend fix up a house he was going to flip. I think a lot of in-breeding happens in those parts of the state.
    You nailed it. The other three armpits of CA are Bakersfield, San Bernardino, and the outburgs of the Sac peninsula, particularly Stockton.

Of the 4, I would venture Stockton and Fresno are the worst. Just awful.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Itís a pretty common sentiment among the old school diehards who were there, that nothing, not even the Warning tour, beats VH live more than the first 3 tours.

Last Online

11.19.19 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 1,043 Times in 559 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    There's a difference between guys in their early 20s on their 1st world tour going all out as an opening act on the front 3rd of someone else's stage trying to prove themselves vs. guys in their 30s who are already multi-millionaires with multiple platinum albums under their belt, Ferrari's, endorsement deals, etc.

That type of hunger/fire can only be captured once. It's really cool to see. I'd watch these types of vids all day over the more polished Oakland stuff or anything professionally recorded/produced.

~E
    Along with Van Halen, I was lucky enough to see a few other major bands including U2, Guns n' Roses and Jane's Addiction when they were young, hungry, playing clubs or theater sized venues on the cusp of hitting it big.

IMO, U2 didn't really pull it together as a live act until they were touring behind the "War" album. Guns n' Roses were laughably awful the first time I saw them opening for The Lords Of The New Church at Fenders ballroom in Long Beach. Jane's Addiction was pretty impressive the first time I saw them but they still had a lot of room for improvement.

Van Halen was really the one band I saw from day one that had their shit nailed down tight and at the peak of their power as a live act pretty much the moment they got signed. You listen to the first two albums, you were more or less hearing them live in the studio and it was exactly what you got at a late 70's show. Great as the WACF and Fair Warning tours were, by then it was more a rehearsed full blown production. I'll never forget seeing them for the 3rd and 4th times at both the LA Coliseum blowing away headliners Aerosmith and near the end of that year (1979) headlining the LA Forum thinking "this is the same band I saw two years ago playing a glorified bar on PCH and they really haven't changed a bit, just the size of the crowds have grown."

24. The Following 4 Members Like This Post: