Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.24.20 @ 12:24 AM
    Liked 1,800 Times in 960 Posts

Premium Member

John 5 is great example of someone who, despite his obvious influences, has his own thing going on.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

2. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 08:05 PM
    Liked 14,454 Times in 7,876 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    John 5 is great example of someone who, despite his obvious influences, has his own thing going on.
    Back when That Metal Show would have guest performers on each episode, EASILY the two most entertaining they had on were Billy Sheehan and John 5. Billy because he just does some absolutely magical things on the bass when he's just noodling or soloing. And John 5 is a lot like a young Ed in that he just loves to explore off the wall sounds on the guitar. All the other players they would have come on would just play the same recycled licks that everybody always does, but not John.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 326 Times in 182 Posts

I still don't understand what happened to Dave's voice after the '07/'08 tour? Listen to this show. Definitely using his voice wiser.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

01.14.20 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    So now we are gonna knock Al Estrada for not being John 5, and Mike Musselman for not being Ray Luzier.
    There is nothing wrong with Dave's band.

I absolutely love John 5's playing, but this gig calls for a low profile sideman that can nail EVH tone/style/intricacies, def not a guy in monster make-up that plays 6 string sweep arpeggios.

Mike studied under Bissonette. He sits up really high behind the kit so it "looks" a little awkward, but if you just listen to how he play's it's very expressive, esp his use of crash cymbals... He's not a rock guy at all.

~E
    So Musselman went to Musician's Institute and studied under Bissonette; don't see how that is relevant to his playing on this gig. I don't expect him to be either Bissonette, Luzier or Van Halen. In fact each one of those drummers is very different than the other, but Bissonette and Luzier were able to handle the Van Halen feel while maintaining his own style. To me, part of the Van Halen sound is that it swings. In the past Dave has hired drummers that understand the feel of Van Halen's music and I was looking forward to another drummer who could bring his own strengths while maintaining the power and feel of Van Halen's music. Mussleman has absolutely no swing from what I've seen or heard and to me that is an important attribute of Van Halen's music that is currently lacking with his approach. I'm going to see this band when they open for Kiss this summer and hope Musselman can improve between now and then. And it's not about how high Musselman sits or his open handed playing. Ringo sat up high and his son Zak and Billy Cobham both play open handed, but those guys could all swing.

And you're right. There is nothing wrong with Dave's band, but because it is David Lee Roth's band carrying the VH torch some of us will hold him to higher standards.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 616 Times in 385 Posts

So now we are gonna knock Al Estrada for not being John 5, and Mike Musselman for not being Ray Luzier.
    There is nothing wrong with Dave's band.

I absolutely love John 5's playing, but this gig calls for a low profile sideman that can nail EVH tone/style/intricacies, def not a guy in monster make-up that plays 6 string sweep arpeggios.

Mike studied under Bissonette. He sits up really high behind the kit so it "looks" a little awkward, but if you just listen to how he play's it's very expressive, esp his use of crash cymbals... He's not a rock guy at all.

~E
    If John 5 wanted to, he could nail every lick Ed has ever played. He can play so many styles of music it would make peopleís heads spin.

But yes, Al Estrada is clearly the man for this job. His chops are phenomenal and his sound is excellent. Itís also Vegas and people want to hear the record with Dave on stage in front of them.

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 11:57 PM
    Liked 2,178 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    If John 5 wanted to, he could nail every lick Ed has ever played. He can play so many styles of music it would make people’s heads spin.

Playing Ed's licks and sounding like Ed are too different things though. Vai could play Ed;s licks but never sounded close to Ed at all.

Would love to see John5 and Roth live together at some point. J5 is amazing
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 07:15 PM
    Liked 1,500 Times in 910 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Having seen DLR w/VH about 11 times in my life. Having seen John 5 three times in my life. I truly believe those two guys together can damn near blow away any competition they may think they have. Dave and John 5 would have a great time on stage night after night
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 120 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    He played it the first night I read. I agree!! I would go home unhappy if he didn't play Yankee Rose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw him play it live solo before around 2006 and it was great!
    He didn't play it the first night.
    Last edited by M.C.; 01.14.20 at 07:26 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 2,398 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Yeah, he sits up high AND plays open handed, so he doesn't "look normal" back there, whatever that actually means or matters. But, I've enjoyed his playing and energy. He NEEDS to buy himself a cowbell for the DTNA intro, however.

Dave has really put himself together a great backing band, and they all seem to be enjoying playing together. Even his second guitarist, forget his name, could be playing lead from some of the videos I've seen of him, not the Vegas gig ones.
    Er... so that second guitarist... what exactly does he do...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 12,924 Times in 7,079 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    I still don't understand what happened to Dave's voice after the '07/'08 tour? Listen to this show. Definitely using his voice wiser.

He sounds fucking GREAT!

The weird thing is i remember people claiming his voice was completely shot,
    when this thing first started back then.

What the hell were they thinking?

He was so on point.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 608 Times in 274 Posts

I dunno. Around here people were like "hmmm Dave is sounding pretty damn good..." At least to my recollection.

Last Online

01.23.20 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 1,131 Times in 610 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    He sounds fucking GREAT!

The weird thing is i remember people claiming his voice was completely shot,
    when this thing first started back then.

What the hell were they thinking?

He was so on point.
    Dave wasn’t perfect in ‘07/‘08 but most shows it was the best he sounded since the late 80’s. I only saw only one show that tour but I came away pretty blown away with his vox and honestly thought he was the MPV of the show. Ihaven’t listened to any boots from that tour in over half a decade but after skimming through that YouTube clip of the full show, I’m going fishing for a couple of the best examples from the tour and enjoy ‘em.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 414 Times in 246 Posts

I absolutely love John 5's playing, but this gig calls for a low profile sideman that can nail EVH tone/style/intricacies, def not a guy in monster make-up ...
    ~E
    I like John 5's playing, but I don't like to look at him.

Last Online

01.23.20 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 176 Times in 75 Posts

I was at the October 1st show in Philly. You're definitely right, he was nailing it on that tour. I also got to see the May 2018 Hershey show from the 5th row, and he was still in excellent voice. He couldn't do the 20 or so second long scream at the end of EWS of course, but he still threw in plenty of screams throughout the show. He had a "tough" look overall with that CVH Dave swagger, except for when the sailor cap went on near the end of the show. lol Only my opinion of course, but he waited 20+ years for this chance to perform with the VH brothers again, and I think he didn't want to blow it. I read elsewhere that he used a vocal trainer and took steroids to strengthen his vocal chords. Take it with a grain of salt, not sure of the sources. Then we have 2012 Dave with the headset mic, slip and slide flooring, and vocal experimentation. Maybe he just felt more comfortable with his role in the band. On some of the dates I believe he was sick with a cold or something, and there were the blower rants. This band is quite the enigma. I wish I could have seen 2007 Dave with 2012 or 2015 Ed, but the 2008 show is probably the closest I'll get because Ed was back in shape again after the mystery ailment break.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

AJW

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 07:27 PM
    Liked 27,488 Times in 13,896 Posts

He got 12 to 13 years older?

Time is undefeated.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: