Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4148495051525354 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 26,625 Times in 13,435 Posts

The only Tool I like are the ones I'm buying at Home Depot.

Not my kind of music.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 14,009 Times in 7,623 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Tool have some seriously sick riffs.

You gotta hear them like i did, when a co-worker would simply put the album on,
    and you'd be doing work, but hearing it in the background.

It is Arty, but it's also pretty cool if you just let it seep in.

This riff is God-like, on that Tony Iommi level.
    I like that Adam sounds both Stoner & Proggy, in his writing.

Another cool thing about this tune is the intro was the same riff played very
    uptempo on an accordian i think, and you start laughing, then it abruptly stops, and
    goes into the same riff (the one here) and it's so sludgey and heavy.
    Tool is definitely not for everyone, with all the odd time signatures, lack of backing vocals, and a lot of really long songs that have a bunch of changes and different musical directions. I definitely wouldnt expect all VH fans, especially ones who prefer the pop melodic rock of Van Hagar, to like them much. They're probably my 2nd favorite band of all time and definitely the band I've played the most, after VH, the last 10 years.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 18,747 Times in 10,704 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I think it's still there, but in a way we're not seeing because we're over the hill.

There's a local three-day fest here that has something like 50 bands every year, about $120 a ticket, and from what I gather, it does very well. I feel like a fool when I look at the lineup and only recognize one or two names. Then there's the more mainstream fest, Music Midtown, and it also has tons of bands over three days and cleans up. And again, I might recognize the Foo Fighters' and Elton John's names and no one else's. But I'm old!

We've also got way more venues than we did in the '80's - TWO arenas, TWO amphitheatres, four theatres that hold 1,000-2,500 and then the larger Fox - loads of bands in and out of them every week, I just don't know who they are! (As I take my baby aspirin and fart when I eat mayonnaise.)

Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, Guitar Center - look at those catalogs they're sending you. Somebody's buying that stuff.

Bands now are on Bandcamp and YouTube and are hoping to be heard that way, not through Elektra. Touring house parties and living room shows; club shows are "out." Little BYOB venues and even coffee and wine shops.

It's still there, just not the MTV/radio/arena paradigm we've known.
    You could have stopped at the bolded part. I have said many times that I was firmly in the “rock is dead” camp until recently.

There are a lot of kids out there listening to rock n roll and a lot are forming bands. Some of the bands I like , some I don’t but I’m not going to argue with them about it. Maybe I’m not supposed to like some of it, who cares?

Plenty of rock festivals around that are being packed by youngbloods. These days the money is in the live experience since the music is pirated. So you can’t point to sales as any kind of measuring stick
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Tool is definitely not for everyone, with all the odd time signatures, lack of backing vocals, and a lot of really long songs that have a bunch of changes and different musical directions. I definitely wouldnt expect all VH fans, especially ones who prefer the pop melodic rock of Van Hagar, to like them much. They're probably my 2nd favorite band of all time and definitely the band I've played the most, after VH, the last 10 years.
    Some bands are just not for everyone. Rush is the perfect example of this. You can fill a museum with articles and music reviews of how much they suck. Everything said about Tool was said about them. To each his own.

You can’t argue with success. Look at Bon Jovi, for example. I absolutely think they suck gargantuan King Kong size balls but they’ll fill an arena (he’ll fill, they’re not even a band really anymore).
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Some bands are just not for everyone. Rush is the perfect example of this. You can fill a museum with articles and music reviews of how much they suck. Everything said about Tool was said about them. To each his own.

You can’t argue with success. Look at Bon Jovi, for example. I absolutely think they suck gargantuan King Kong size balls but they’ll fill an arena (he’ll fill, they’re not even a band really anymore).
    Very true. It's music. Everybody has things they like or dont like. I personally think Green Day blows as bad as Bon Jovi and that Billy Joe is a shitty guitar player, writer, and singer who perpetually sounds like his nose is plugged, but there are some on here who think they're great. Same with Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Offspring, Bush, all bands that had a lot of success. Pink Floyd is fucking HUGE, and everyone here probably knows I DESPISE their shit probably more than any other successful band lol.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

I had to laugh when the new Tool album came out a couple months ago, and there were I think a couple people on here comparing them, or saying they were like, the modern day Pink Floyd.

Uhh...NO.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

With Tool I didn't even hear the music, it was just hearing that they had a song about...carrots. I couldn't see Diamond Dave on the drum riser going, "Everybody up! Are you ready for..THE CARROT SONG?!"

Tom Keifer flares his black cape and sits down at the grand piano. "Holy shit, get your lighter out, dude! He's clearly about to do the carrot song!" And a giant fiberglass carrot descends from the ceiling as the crowd goes wild...

"CAR-ROTS! CAR-ROTS!"

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The only Tool I like are the ones I'm buying at Home Depot.

Not my kind of music.
    Lol. Because you like good music. Not self indulgent tripe.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

With Tool I didn't even hear the music, it was just hearing that they had a song about...carrots. I couldn't see Diamond Dave on the drum riser going, "Everybody up! Are you ready for..THE CARROT SONG?!"

Tom Keifer flares his black cape and sits down at the grand piano. "Holy shit, get your lighter out, dude! He's clearly about to do the carrot song!" And a giant fiberglass carrot descends from the ceiling as the crowd goes wild...

"CAR-ROTS! CAR-ROTS!"
    In a world where “Up For Breakfast” exists?

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 391 Times in 231 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    In a world where “Up For Breakfast” exists?
    It's a much better song without vocals
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

"CAR-ROTS! CAR-ROTS!"
    You do realize youre talking about basically a fucking obscure add on track. IIRC its part of the last track on the first album. It would be the same as saying the only thing VH was about was Happy Trails or Big Bad Bill.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    You do realize youre talking about basically a fucking obscure add on track. IIRC its part of the last track on the first album. It would be the same as saying the only thing VH was about was Happy Trails or Big Bad Bill.
    Yes, but this was the first thing I heard about them. This guy was carrying on with some other Tool fan about this carrot thing. Based on that, I've never checked them out except for a few seconds looking at YouTube videos.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yes, but this was the first thing I heard about them. This guy was carrying on with some other Tool fan about this carrot thing. Based on that, I've never checked them out except for a few seconds looking at YouTube videos.
    Proving my point. If you dont like their music, fine, a lot of people dont. But carrying on about a throwaway track that is a joke to the band, and if you know anything about the band they have a bit of a warped and weird sense of humor, and acting like that track is what the band is all about musically is a tad bit ignorant. Just saying.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 10:43 PM
    Liked 12,497 Times in 6,838 Posts

Come on, Tool was all over MTV right out of the gate with, "Sober."

I even recall my sister saying: This video comes on all the time, and i'm creeped out by that claymatian guy.

Then they had the follow up vid, which again, was on constant rotation.

I feel like we all knew Tool, before we decided we didn't know what Tool was about.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 6,665 Times in 3,463 Posts

I think Tool is talented. Its just different music and like a certain band from Canada that is known to use odd time signatures, its music isn't as easily accessible as other forms. Different strokes for different folks.

25. The Following Member Likes This Post: