Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 347 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I played a USA wolf at GC last year and was supremely disappointed. Maybe itís a one off thing but I was not impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foamfoot View Post
    I've played all three and the EBMM is the best product... hands down. The other two certainly are very good guitars, but there seems to be a better level of quality with the EBMM - maybe because they weren't mass produced?. I own one that was born in 1992.. and it's my "daily driver" for the last 15 years: rehearsing, recording, gigging, couch-lounging. I like the neck for the very reason Jedi doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    I've had two Peavey Wolfgangs, & currently have a Music Man EVH. The EBMM all day long for me

I've played several EVH Wolfs & the majority are just ok, imho. That said, there's a sweet Candy Apple Red Special nearby....
    Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    1. EBMMóquality
    2. Peavey USA Standard
    3. Fender
    I gotta tell you that I am extremely surprised to see Peavey ahead of Fender. Then again, I don't know what EVH's royalty fees are for each guitar sold, and it's gotta come outta somewhere.

Take the Indonesian made Wolfgang Standard for example. The Mexican made Strat is priced just above it, but I suspect that it's way ahead of the EVH guitar in terms of quality.

Here's a guitar that is simply beautiful....can't afford one, but I can dream :

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...tric-Guitar.gc

So what kind of guitars do y'all play then? What is your main axe?
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

11.19.19 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 2,187 Times in 923 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Take the Indonesian made Wolfgang Standard for example. The Mexican made Strat is priced just above it, but I suspect that it's way ahead of the EVH guitar in terms of quality.
    Not really man. There is nothing wrong with the quality of the Indo Wolfs, or most Indo-made guitars for that matter.

I've had plenty of Indonesian guitars, and probably even more Mexican strats. If you are happy with the pickups, and know how to set your guitar up, it could be made in Tim-Buk-2. Guitar production Technology as well as quality control has come a very long way since the 80s. It's about economics. The labor is cheaper overseas.

~E

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Not really man. There is nothing wrong with the quality of the Indo Wolfs, or most Indo-made guitars for that matter.

I've had plenty of Indonesian guitars, and probably even more Mexican strats. If you are happy with the pickups, and know how to set your guitar up, it could be made in Tim-Buk-2. Guitar production Technology as well as quality control has come a very long way since the 80s. It's about economics. The labor is cheaper overseas.

~E
    Appreciate the education...thanks
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Interesting article...I've always wondered who really came up with the d-tuna design.

My thoughts:

My main gigging guitar is the Peavey Wolfgang. I like the larger neck, the larger frets and the carved top. I did swap out the bridge pickup for something slightly less mid-rangy (DiMarzio Norton) I also modified the electronics with push pull pots for coil splitting.

That being said, I also love the EBMM, and have had two. I think the shape of it is cooler looking, and the quilted tops are great. I think the stock pickups are the best sounding of all of Ed's signature models... closer to the early sound. My only dislike are the smaller frets.

Never owned any of the Fender EVH stuff...can't do the small frets (however stainless steel frets are where it's at) and the pickups are too much like Ed's current tone for my taste.

I guess my ultimate Ed type guitar would be the Musicman shape, with the Peavey neck, the Musicman pickups and a carved maple top with large stainless frets.

Your mileage may vary...

7. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 11:12 AM
    Liked 191 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jin-jin View Post
    Never owned any of the Fender EVH stuff...can't do the small frets (however stainless steel frets are where it's at) and the pickups are too much like Ed's current tone for my taste.
    I think they got the pickups right when it comes to the Fenders. Itíll sound like current EVH if you play them through a 5150 III, but they also sound very good in other amps. That was one complaint with the Peaveys, that they were just meant for high gain sizzle. The Fenders are more well-rounded, I think.

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

11.18.19 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 4,559 Times in 1,720 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    I think they got the pickups right when it comes to the Fenders. It’ll sound like current EVH if you play them through a 5150 III, but they also sound very good in other amps. That was one complaint with the Peaveys, that they were just meant for high gain sizzle. The Fenders are more well-rounded, I think.
    100% agree. Ed's modern tone isn't as much a result of the pickups as it is scooping the mids, high gain, and the mic being directly on the speaker grill. That causes the focused, nasally tone that he suffered from. The nasal focus seemed to get better in 2015, but it was still too much gain.

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 06:43 AM
    Liked 391 Times in 231 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I gotta tell you that I am extremely surprised to see Peavey ahead of Fender. Then again, I don't know what EVH's royalty fees are for each guitar sold, and it's gotta come outta somewhere.

Here's a guitar that is simply beautiful....can't afford one, but I can dream :

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...tric-Guitar.gc

So what kind of guitars do y'all play then? What is your main axe?
    Nice Strat! Buddy of mine just got an American Professional Stratocaster, & absolutely loves it

The one thing I noticed about the first two USA EVH Wolfgangs I tried out back in 2010, was how sharp the frets were. Other guitars in the store had a bit of fret sprout, but they were razor sharp lol

I've got a decent collection: 3 Gibson Les Pauls (R9, Custom, Traditional), Gibson SG, Gibson Explorer, 1993 Music Man EVH, Kramer 5150 aged replica built by a member here, Fender Telecaster & Stratocaster, Godin acoustic. My main axe is definitely my Les Paul '59 reissue, it is amazing! Pic below. I'm also curious as to the other collections that lurk here

IMG-0976.jpg
    Last edited by KS 5150; 09.07.19 at 07:34 AM.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 1,417 Times in 864 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have at least one of all three. To me, the Fenders are the most comfortable. They all kick ass but I prefer the 12 to 16 compound radius of the Fenders....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Nice Strat! Buddy of mine just got an American Professional Stratocaster, & absolutely loves it

The one thing I noticed about the first two USA EVH Wolfgangs I tried out back in 2010, was how sharp the frets were. Other guitars in the store had a bit of fret sprout, but they were razor sharp lol

I've got a decent collection: 3 Gibson Les Pauls (R9, Custom, Traditional), Gibson SG, Gibson Explorer, 1993 Music Man EVH, Kramer 5150 aged replica built by a member here, Fender Telecaster & Stratocaster, Godin acoustic. My main axe is definitely my Les Paul '59 reissue, it is amazing! Pic below. I'm also curious as to the other collections that lurk here

IMG-0976.jpg
    That's an absolutely beautiful guitar!

Everyone in my social circle sees me as a Van Halen fan of fans, but every time I come onto this forum, I am outclassed by y'all

As for frets, you're not the first person to say that.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1,040 Times in 529 Posts

I've owned one of each. The only one I still have is the EVH USA, but even then I don't play it much because I have a bunch of EVH Wolf specials I use swap around as daily drivers. It's just a bonus that I'm trying to keep it in pretty good condition, as it's part of the first run of Stealths with the original finish/texture.

I like the pickups in the EBMM the most, but they're pretty close. I've swapped the pickups around a lot. They're all slightly different and they definitely complement the guitars they were designed around. I put a set of EVHs in a Peavey body once, and that was cool, and I have an EVH with Peavey pickups still.

I find the compound radius and vintage SS frets the most comfortable, and I find myself reaching for those guitars more often than otherwise.

I have Wolfgang's with OFRs, Korean Floyds, Schaller Peavey floyds, and GOTOH floyds. I like the GOTOH bridges the most, actually.

I like the original EBMM neck shape the most (that worn-in indent up by the nut is so comfortable), Peaveys the least, and Wolfgangs a close runner-up. I have over a dozen different EVH necks, at least one from every manufacturing location, those are mostly equal with the standards falling a bit behind.

In overall body/electronic feel, I like the EVH the most.

So I think the EVH wins it in my book.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 14,008 Times in 7,623 Posts

As a non player, from a drummer's perspective, from a purely aesthetic point of view the EBMM was the ugliest body shape of Ed's guitars. Too round and bloated looking. Always liked the sleeker, sharper angled design of the Peavey and EVH better. Guitar players, feel free to sling your rocks at me now.

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 16,847 Times in 7,427 Posts

Default The Wolfgang Saga: How 3 Brands Built Eddie Van Halen's Signature Guitar

Quality-wise the EBMM smokes the other two, itís not even close.

But Iíll be honest with you guys, I donít find playing that guitar all that comfortable anymore. Iím just used to flatter, wider necks now, so I have a hard time even playing that guitar when I do pick it up. Mine is very beat up from years of gigging in my 20ís and also living through a terrible earthquake where everything in the world fell on it.

To me the Peavey is a much more comfortable guitar than the EBMM. And I have a Pat Pending Standard that I feel blows away any Fender version Iíve tried. Iím just not a fan of the craftsmanship on the Fender versions. I just think some of them feel like really cheap guitars. I know a lot of guys will totally disagree with me but itís just how Iíve felt when Iíve tried them.

Also unlike most guys I donít use my EBMM or Wolfgang very much anymore unless itís in the house once in a while when I play stuff in standard tuning. Otherwise Iím not really playing them anymore. I just donít like my guitars to feel differently which is probably why I tend to use the ones that I have built that have the exact same neck on them all the time.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 10:43 PM
    Liked 12,496 Times in 6,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    As a non player, from a drummer's perspective, from a purely aesthetic point of view the EBMM was the ugliest body shape of Ed's guitars. Too round and bloated looking. Always liked the sleeker, sharper angled design of the Peavey and EVH better. Guitar players, feel free to sling your rocks at me now.
    I think all those EBMM guitars are unattractive, but the VH model was a total WTF moment for me
    at the time.

I was surprised he chose that body shape, especially after playing strat shaped guitars for so long.
    It just looked too round & fat.

I'm sure the guitars are great players & high quality, yet i just never enjoyed the design.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 8,051 Times in 4,055 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Quality-wise the EBMM smokes the other two, itís not even close.

But Iíll be honest with you guys, I donít find playing that guitar all that comfortable anymore. Iím just used to flatter, wider necks now, so I have a hard time even playing that guitar when I do pick it up. Mine is very beat up from years of gigging in my 20ís and also living through a terrible earthquake where everything in the world fell on it.

To me the Peavey is a much more comfortable guitar than the EBMM. And I have a Pat Pending Standard that I feel blows away any Fender version Iíve tried. Iím just not a fan of the craftsmanship on the Fender versions. I just think some of them feel like really cheap guitars. I know a lot of guys will totally disagree with me but itís just how Iíve felt when Iíve tried them.

Also unlike most guys I donít use my EBMM or Wolfgang very much anymore unless itís in the house once in a while when I play stuff in standard tuning. Otherwise Iím not really playing them anymore. I just donít like my guitars to feel differently which is probably why I tend to use the ones that I have built that have the exact same neck on them all the time.
    Show us a pic of your EBMM. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 09:26 AM
    Liked 9,166 Times in 6,595 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    As.you said to me in a drum thread about AVH; Get the fuck outta here...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

27. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: