Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Started realizing maybe I missed the point of the original post. I'm all right if "rock is dead," but I'm NOT all right with my favorite musicians dying! Eddie, Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend will have particular importance to me, but can you imagine a world without Robert Plant or Mick Jagger in it? Do you even want to?

For myself personally, I'm most afraid of Alzheimer's, which runs on my Mom's side. There's been a bit of "wooden man" Parkinson's on both sides, which is why I need to get my guitar playing in now. I had one uncle who started getting arthritis really bad early on in life, and although he kept working until he was about 80, he had to hit the buttons on his adding machine with his knuckles. Another reason to do whatever I'm going to do musically today.

By the time we go, I think this world will be a place we don't even recognize; it'll be like we already left. Genderless people getting their privates swapped around like Mr. Potato Heads, men in dresses in the women's restroom, everyone gleefully wearing government tracking devices and letting government satellites drive their cars for them in exchange for getting to watch cartoons. Yeesh.
    What kinda cartoons?
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:21 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Don't hold your breath.

People wanted psychedelic rock to make a comeback. Sinatra-big band. Jazz. Nope.

Eras pass. We are part of a passing generation. It is what it is.

Claypool Lennon Delirium is Psychedelic...new Psychedelic, but Psychedelic none the less.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.06.20 @ 10:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Claypool Lennon Delirium is Psychedelic...new Psychedelic, but Psychedelic none the less.
    LOL. Yeah, but they're an anomaly. Every one of those eras is still represented in some way, including big band and rock. But they're all minorities now, niche specific pockets.

Like it or lump it, the new era is hip hop and EDM. It's the new wave, probably because it's more tribal in resonance, more drums and bass and synth electronic, less guitars and vox and treble.

All that's left for us dinosaurs is hitting those few pockets that remain. Which is why I see Robert Plant live anytime he comes near my 'burg, and Sting, and Slash. LOL. And a certain Dutch boy's band.

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

02.26.20 @ 09:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

A long time ago a friend of mine who's really outstanding at jazz piano and bass said, "People are monkeys and all they understand is rhythm."

I think it's a biological truth. A voice, the tone of an instrument, a melody, can turn people off, but a good drum beat gets everyone stomping their feet and clapping their hands. It's universal.

There are a lot of "psychedelic" bands out there. Phish plays to 100,000 at a time, all the time. Widespread Panic. Phil Lesh and the Dead are still on the road separately. But yep, it's like rockabilly. You can see lots of rockabilly bands, but you ain't gonna see them on Jimmy Fallon.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.06.20 @ 10:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    A long time ago a friend of mine who's really outstanding at jazz piano and bass said, "People are monkeys and all they understand is rhythm."

I think it's a biological truth. A voice, the tone of an instrument, a melody, can turn people off, but a good drum beat gets everyone stomping their feet and clapping their hands. It's universal.

There are a lot of "psychedelic" bands out there. Phish plays to 100,000 at a time, all the time. Widespread Panic. Phil Lesh and the Dead are still on the road separately. But yep, it's like rockabilly. You can see lots of rockabilly bands, but you ain't gonna see them on Jimmy Fallon.
    Yep. And since the world has become far more tribal, the new gens are gonna gravitate to the stuff that, like our ancestors, they can feel in their bones. More bass. More drums. Thumpity thump thump. It's primal.

I wouldn't deem Phish as psychedelic as much as I'd deem them a jam band, the heirs apparent to the Dead. I've seen 'em once live. Not my cup of tea, but there's no denying their appeal to their 'twirlers.'