Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 9,159 Times in 6,589 Posts

Interesting point...
    Not sure how it plays out in regards to the thread topic, though? Van Halen had two of the best logos around, in my humble opinion. Both the '78 wings (with two projections on either side, as opposed to the three on the VHII cover), and the later rings one (interestingly with three projections), are top tier. IMO. They just look cool!

Your post reminds me of photos showing Avril, Taylor, etc. wearing VH tee shirts. Are they really fans? Etc. Etc.

Btw, though not my favorite band (even if I love their music), the Rolling Stones had/has my favorite logo; the tongue and lips.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.14.19 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 2,749 Times in 1,270 Posts

Absolutely- I intended to continue my 📪 leading up to right now current 2019 VH Logos being frequently noticed in Pop Culture particularly prevalent on Instagram.....

Just type- Instagram Van Halen....into Google search...

Then click the result that shows Van Halen Hashtags....usually a # thingy attached....

Then- scroll through the 📷's....No matter what day or week I guarantee you'll 👀 at least 10 to 15 chicks posting selfies of themselves wearing VH shirts....

I was planning to start a thread about it here maybe just for novelty purposes....but it also goes to show that the VH logo is Alive & well in 2019...

In fact...many of the VH t shirts I suspect are unofficial without proper liscencing credentials....many with the 1986- 1998 logo too....

But- Nonetheless...goes to show younger folks like wearing VH shirts....

If you type Ramones or The Doors, Led Zeppelin, etc,etc,....

You will not 👀 any young chicks wearing those bands t shirts....

Only VH....

I think they like the LOGO....

& maybe the lion wearing sunglasses....😎

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 6,653 Times in 3,457 Posts

Interesting point but concerning Metallica vs Anthrax vs Slayer, etc I do think the songs had something to do with it as well. Well to me since I used to listen to all three bands and honestly the logo never came to mind. I simply thought Metallica was the better band. Well the first three albums. Loved how they used acoustic guitars with the heaviness of the music. Anthrax to me never had any sense of melody to their songs. Slayer the same however I did love Slayer's heaviness. I think the biggest difference is simply James Hetfield. The guy is extremely gifted as a songwriter. Don't think the other bands have anything close.

Kind of like VH when you compare them to other similar bands. You got Eddie there and that is very hard to top

Last Online

11.14.19 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 236 Times in 98 Posts

IMHO VH took a huge hit when Dave left the band. Not trying to start a Sam vs Dave thing here. I've stated many times on the forums that I don't care who sings in VH. As long as Eddie is playing guitar I'm good..... but I can tell you that the majority of my high school buddies from the late 70's, early eighties would not go see VH without Dave. Once Dave was back in in 07 they were right back to seeing VH. I'm sure a whole bunch of people felt the same way back in 85. I think that if Dave stayed in VH it would have taken much longer for someone to take over the #1 spot.
    VH Shows

5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

10.06.19 @ 02:28 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salg View Post
    I think that if Dave stayed in VH it would have taken much longer for someone to take over the #1 spot.
    I like this. I like hypotheses. Imagine the ‘80s playing out with Dave still in VH at the same time as Def Leppard come back with Hysteria, BJ break out with Slippery and Guns crash the scene with Appetite. I could live without 5150 and EEAS ever happening for that scenario to take place instead. Where’s my hot tub time machine? 🤟🏻😎🤟🏻

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 12,485 Times in 6,832 Posts

Metallica def had the songs, which is why they surpassed bands like Anthrax, Slayer & Exodus.

I love those bands, but Metallica had a different sort of sophistication and sense of melody and dynamics.

The acoustic guitars in something like "Fade to Black," are so beautifully composed and played.
    The little inflections he plays around that A minor melody.
    Then when it gets heavy, it's like the guitar tone of all guitar tones.
    And then the riff is so good, then another one, midway through the tune into the outro.

I remember looking at them in pictures with their ripped jeans & hi tops, and i thought:
    These guys look like total dirtbags, yet they are incredibly talented musicians.
    How did they learn how to compose this stuff?

Another thing i always loved was how Battery ends with that one slamming chord, then
    that same slamming chord opens the very next song, MOP.

I love how he hits it, the pause, then the descending riff.

Little things like that, were super clever.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 363 Times in 171 Posts

IMHO VH took a huge hit when Sam left the band. Not trying to start a Sam vs Dave thing here. I've stated many times on the forums that I don't care who sings in VH. As long as Eddie is playing guitar I'm good..... but I can tell you that the majority of MY high school buddies from the late 80's, early nineties would not go see VH without Sam. Once Sam was back in in 04 they were right back to seeing VH. I'm sure a whole bunch of people felt the same way back in 96. I think that if Sam stayed in VH it would have taken much longer for someone to take over the #1 spot.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Metallica- WERE THE catalyst that put that green Misfits T shirt image into pop culture....back in '85/'86...before Cliff Burton died in the bus accident...( RIP)...

You still now see those shirts....

NOW- My POINT.....

IMAGE, LOGO's, & marketing ARE indeed VERY influential when it comes to Pop culture....in this case...pertaining to Rock music bands....VH & Metallica....

Ever wonder why Anthrax, Megadeath, Exciter, Raven, Slayer, Exodus, .....& countless other heavily promoted heavy metal acts in the mid to late '80's never achieved the heights of popularity of METALLICA....

It's because METALLICA had the better NAME & LOGO.....

Simple as that....

& I'm NOT kidding.....

Look at Iron Maiden....wonder why they surpassed Judas Priest....it's because of the BAND LOGO, album covers, & t shirt sales.....
    Nah. It’s simple physics. Metallica toured and recorded. VH didn’t. It’s that easy.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 17,038 Times in 8,983 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foamfoot View Post
    IMHO VH took a huge hit when Sam left the band. Not trying to start a Sam vs Dave thing here. I've stated many times on the forums that I don't care who sings in VH. As long as Eddie is playing guitar I'm good..... but I can tell you that the majority of MY high school buddies from the late 80's, early nineties would not go see VH without Sam. Once Sam was back in in 04 they were right back to seeing VH. I'm sure a whole bunch of people felt the same way back in 96. I think that if Sam stayed in VH it would have taken much longer for someone to take over the #1 spot.
    This was completely unnecessary.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 26,576 Times in 13,407 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    This was completely unnecessary.
    ???
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.10.19 @ 08:23 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 57 Posts

Answering the original question. Metal has always been bigger around the world than hard rock.

When did everyone get into Metallica? I always find it interesting and telling in some ways when someone discovered Metallica,a t least in people of my age group(49). I got into them in early 85'. Was listening to a college metal show (probably for the first time or so) and heard Ride the Lightning and Jump in the Fire. I was so blown away! WUJC 88.7 Mitch Kapka for anyone who cares.

I like their albums in order of release. I've been listening to them somewhat lately(more than the last 25 years or so...burnout like all other "old" music) I know MOP is the unanimous greatest metal album of all time, but, except for maybe when it first came out I've always like the first 2 albums better. I'll even go as far now as to say MOP is over rated. I always felt the sound of the album was too big and bloated. The songs themselves too at times. Leper Messiah and TTTSNB haven't aged well. Though Disposable Heroes is one of their greatest songs ever. MOP too obviously.

I've been addicted to watching their "tuning room" videos on youtube. Check them out if you haven't seen them.
    "I think good rock music is more than profanity, screeching vocals, wailing guitars and pounding drums. " Dick Hogan-Music Reviewer

Last Online

11.15.19 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 11,154 Times in 6,158 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Absolutely- I intended to continue my �� leading up to right now current 2019 VH Logos being frequently noticed in Pop Culture particularly prevalent on Instagram.....

Just type- Instagram Van Halen....into Google search...

Then click the result that shows Van Halen Hashtags....usually a # thingy attached....

Then- scroll through the ��'s....No matter what day or week I guarantee you'll �� at least 10 to 15 chicks posting selfies of themselves wearing VH shirts....

I was planning to start a thread about it here maybe just for novelty purposes....but it also goes to show that the VH logo is Alive & well in 2019...

In fact...many of the VH t shirts I suspect are unofficial without proper liscencing credentials....many with the 1986- 1998 logo too....

But- Nonetheless...goes to show younger folks like wearing VH shirts....

If you type Ramones or The Doors, Led Zeppelin, etc,etc,....

You will not �� any young chicks wearing those bands t shirts....

Only VH....

I think they like the LOGO....

& maybe the lion wearing sunglasses....��
    Please, kill me now if this is the future of forum posting.

Edit: Oh! Gee! That came out swell in the quote.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 26,576 Times in 13,407 Posts

I never heard Metallica until Master of Puppets, then went backwards and discovered the rest of the discography. At least liked everything they've done since except for St. Anger and that God awful thing they did with Lou Reed. VH is my favorite band simply because they were first, and then this place kept my fandom alive, if not for the Links would have probably quit being a VH diehard a long time ago.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Last Online

11.15.19 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 11,154 Times in 6,158 Posts

Premium Member

My little brother, who was five years younger than me turned me on the Metalica when I was about 21. Back then I thought it was horrible noise.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 17,038 Times in 8,983 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    ???
    The guy copied salg's post and then switched everything from Dave to Sam.

Why do that other than in an attempt to antagonize?

This is how the Sam and Dave shit starts.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 09.01.19 at 03:59 PM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: