Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Baluchitherium Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,210
    Last Online

    05.26.20 @ 09:22 AM
    Likes
    4,198
    Liked 4,889 Times in 1,846 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default "Bold As Love" Solo Cover

    Since it's the anniversary of Woodstock I figured I'd cover some Hendrix...by way of John Mayer.



    I've never gotten into him much, but I've been on a Hendrix kick for the last few weeks. The Band of Gypsys album is really next level stuff. I think I'll leave my Strat in Eb for a while and try to tackle some of those tunes too.

    Playing my Partscaster with Fender Fat 60s pickups through my 5150iii. The amp is set super clean with a Wampler Tumnus set for a tiny bit of grit. I add a Keeley Red Dirt for the up section of the solo.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 08.17.19 at 12:24 PM.


  2. #2
    Eruption Sam Vs. Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.09.19
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    1,235
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.26.20 @ 12:16 AM
    Likes
    532
    Liked 772 Times in 477 Posts

    Default

    So that's you covering John Mayer covering Hendrix? Can you cover a cover? I suppose so. Regardless, sounds awesome, man. You make it look pretty effortless too!

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #3
    Baluchitherium Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,210
    Last Online

    05.26.20 @ 09:22 AM
    Likes
    4,198
    Liked 4,889 Times in 1,846 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vs. Dave View Post
    So that's you covering John Mayer covering Hendrix? Can you cover a cover? I suppose so.
    Around here we cover The Kinks by way of Van Halen all the time! Or Roy Orbison, Linda Rondstat, etc...

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #4
    Sinner's Swing! EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Posts
    3,591
    Last Online

    05.20.20 @ 04:16 AM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 3,151 Times in 1,361 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Excellent bro. I like hearing your playing outside the Van Halen stuff. Your playing is so advanced at this point, the Van Halen stuff is just like the recordings and I can tell you aren't even having to really push yourself. Phenomenal tone and especially vibrato.

    After seeing you nail the "Under a Glass Moon" solo note for note, I'm sure you can pretty much play anything.

    If I could ever make a request (or 2) would love to see you play Yngwie "Soldier Without Faith" solo and Vai "Ladies nite in Buffalo?" solo....

    2 of my very favorites.

    Thanks!
    ~Eric

  7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  8. #5
    Banned!
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    21,411
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Likes
    8,332
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    That sounded killer, Jedi!
    Love those Strat tones, and of course you nailed the playing.

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #6
    Banned!
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    21,411
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Likes
    8,332
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Excellent bro. I like hearing your playing outside the Van Halen stuff. Your playing is so advanced at this point, the Van Halen stuff is just like the recordings and I can tell you aren't even having to really push yourself. Phenomenal tone and especially vibrato.

    After seeing you nail the "Under a Glass Moon" solo note for note, I'm sure you can pretty much play anything.

    If I could ever make a request (or 2) would love to see you play Yngwie "Soldier Without Faith" solo and Vai "Ladies nite in Buffalo?" solo....

    2 of my very favorites.

    Thanks!
    ~Eric
    I love the Ladies nite solo as well, yet my fav from EEAS is probably Big Trouble.

  11. #7
    Baluchitherium Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,210
    Last Online

    05.26.20 @ 09:22 AM
    Likes
    4,198
    Liked 4,889 Times in 1,846 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    If I could ever make a request (or 2) would love to see you play Yngwie "Soldier Without Faith" solo and Vai "Ladies nite in Buffalo?" solo....
    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I love the Ladies nite solo as well, yet my fav from EEAS is probably Big Trouble.
    Those two Vai solos are on my list! EEAS is my favorite work of Vaiís so much tasty playing on that album.

    Malmsteen on the other hand...Iíll just say sweep picking is a major weakness of mine

  12. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    8,170
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    05.25.20 @ 11:33 PM
    Likes
    6,812
    Liked 4,701 Times in 2,954 Posts

    Default

    Love that sound as well, Jedi.

    I haven't learned any Jimi yet. Wind Cries Mary is high on my list.

  13. #9
    Good Enough pickslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.04
    Age
    51
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,628
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.26.20 @ 06:06 AM
    Likes
    1,577
    Liked 1,371 Times in 773 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Since it's the anniversary of Woodstock I figured I'd cover some Hendrix...by way of John Mayer.


    I've never gotten into him much, but I've been on a Hendrix kick for the last few weeks. The Band of Gypsys album is really next level stuff. I think I'll leave my Strat in Eb for a while and try to tackle some of those tunes too.

    Playing my Partscaster with Fender Fat 60s pickups through my 5150iii. The amp is set super clean with a Wampler Tumnus set for a tiny bit of grit. I add a Keeley Red Dirt for the up section of the solo.
    That was tasty.

    TK

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "Outta Love Again" solo performance and transcription
    By Kevin Dodds in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07.05.15, 05:43 AM
  2. "Halen" - VH cover band - "LITTLE GUITARS" cover
    By elvhfan in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06.24.14, 05:48 AM
  3. Brett Michael's "Golddigging Slut-Fest"...Errr, "Rock Of Love 2" Premieres Tonight
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01.23.08, 04:23 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09.30.05, 08:11 PM
  5. Solo "So This is Love?"
    By AxeSlinger84 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07.22.01, 10:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •