Register
Save
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 3,860 Times in 2,442 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post

I could be way off base with this one but Iím fairly certain that Eddie Van Halen could give a shit less that someone posts a photo of him without his permission. If this would be the underlying reason for him not being active, heís in a lot worse shape than we could imagine. What I do believe is that he is done. Either by choice or reasons unbeknownst to his fan base. Just my personal beliefs.
    Itís fairly obvious that Ed and Al are intensely private men. Sure, duh, he knows people are gonna share selfies. The poster whom I was discussing this with, however, has a lot more information than he shares, and I was pointing out that his habit of collecting personal info, including stats, personal life photos, school records, family trees, and anything else related to the VH family OUTSIDE of the music and the sanctioned public appearances, could be construed as invasive, and most certainly is to the VH brothers. In short...if you think itís something Eddie wouldnít hand to you in person, maybe itís not something you should share to the internet. Public domain has gotten far more sketchy because of the Ďnet and smart phone cameras. Mostly because of sensationalism and our communal addiction to it.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 16,111 Times in 8,465 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Still haven't learned? You are slow on the curve, kid.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Last Online

Donor

Circling.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 314 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I don't think I would make a blanket statement like this.

There's a large percentage of "fans" that won't accept anything that doesn't sound like what they think Van Halen should sound like.

Look at the maligning of III, the 3 BOBW songs, and ADKOT here for the evidence.

I'm not saying that someone has to like everything that EVH puts out. But there's a difference between not liking something and calling it "trash, shit, garbage," etc.

I can only imagine that a musician of Ed's caliber is not interested in writing the same kind of material he was when he was 22. So why bother releasing something when a good portion of the "fans" are going to bitch and complain about it because it doesn't sound the way they want it to?
    I never thought of it in that light, but then again, the difference between us is that you play the guitar, while I don't (yet ).

What you say makes a great deal of sense. On the other hand - and I am not faulting the guy, as I have never soared to his heights - will his ego allow him to play to a smaller, dedicated, following of people? Maybe I am running on more than I ought to, but I can see how someone would get pissed off at having to settle for less. Example: I can't imagine the self depreciation involved in having to detach myself from Warner Bros, after having had a long, successful, business relationship. I could see how all of this could wear someone thin.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

No need to feel culpable, man. I'd never say it's unreasonable to want new music or a new tour from your favorite musicians. That's the thing about art. We want more of it, of course.

But to the context at hand, in terms of respecting band privacy vs. hoping for new art, those things are entirely different. We weren't being overly spoiled when we didn't receive VH3 as well as Eddie would've liked. Some art lands. Some doesn't. It's no big deal. The artist usually keeps plugging along nonetheless. Our particular artist, had a more negative reaction than usual to a fan base reaction. Other bands have had flop records. They soldiered on anyway, kept making music, kept touring, 'cause what else do you do when you're an artist?

That self gratification of which I was referring to, was fans overstepping their bounds and proliferating the lack of privacy that the internet, and smart phones, have now allowed fans to do. But just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should.

But let's face it. The only reason ANY of us keep coming here, is the hope that maybe, just maybe, VH might put out more music before the end, might tour again. And that's what we keep holding onto.
    I genuinely appreciate your reply. And I agree: artist or not, there's a certain degree of privacy that each one of us is entitled to - even if it's nothing more than to be left alone when doing errands, etc.

Years ago, I knew of a cute girl that had clinically abnormal paranoid tendencies; "so and so is following me." That's EVH's public life, and it wasn't until this very moment, that I realized the borderline hell that that part of his public life might be.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 16,111 Times in 8,465 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I never thought of it in that light, but then again, the difference between us is that you play the guitar, while I don't (yet ).

What you say makes a great deal of sense. On the other hand - and I am not faulting the guy, as I have never soared to his heights - will his ego allow him to play to a smaller, dedicated, following of people? Maybe I am running on more than I ought to, but I can see how someone would get pissed off at having to settle for less. Example: I can't imagine the self depreciation involved in having to detach myself from Warner Bros, after having had a long, successful, business relationship. I could see how all of this could wear someone thin.
    That's a very good question and only he can answer if he's okay with putting out music which may not be accepted by the masses.

My guess based on the evidence is no. He was pretty much immune from criticism until the release of III and since that time we've gotten virtually nothing, so I think that acceptance of what he puts out is important to him. Hence why ADKOT was mostly reworked demos from the club days.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to release material and tell people to fuck off if they don't like it which is a shame because I think he's a brilliant musician and would love to hear some of his "off the wall" stuff even if it didn't really sound like Van Halen.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Donor

I genuinely appreciate your reply. And I agree: artist or not, there's a certain degree of privacy that each one of us is entitled to - even if it's nothing more than to be left alone when doing errands, etc.

Years ago, I knew of a cute girl that had clinically abnormal paranoid tendencies; "so and so is following me." That's EVH's public life, and it wasn't until this very moment, that I realized the borderline hell that that part of his public life might be.
    Absolutely. And the fans that justify that by claiming itís the price of fame are simply trying to rationalize their often unrealistic expectations or behavior.

To wit. Iíve met, in some capacity, 3 of the 5 members of VH. One day coming across one of those guys, was in a space entirely inappropriate for me to even acknowledge who he was, much less ask for a selfie. The other times, with the other two, it was appropriate because it was sanctioned by the guys themselves, both in personal situations or professional backstage ones. The two I havenít met, Iíve seen separately in a number of domestic settings at least a dozen times over the last 30 years because we apparently congregate in some of the same places in SoCal. Of course the fan part of me wouldíve loved to talk to them. But thereís no fuckiní way Iím gonna approach them and bother them in a personal life setting, be it a restaurant or a shop or a beach or whatever. It doesnít matter if itís a once in a lifetime opportunity, them being a respected celebrity doesnít entitle me to presume familiarity with them simply because I Ďthinkí I know them enough because Iíve followed and enjoyed their careers for so long.

Itís really just a matter of decorum. Something most people ignore when it comes to celebrity. Sensationalism again.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 08.21.19 at 10:04 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 263 Times in 153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Going to 👀 Vince Neil Band at the PNE....
    Sweet! I saw Vince a few years ago at the pool at the Palms in Vegas. I actually don't remember him much, but his drummer was amazing. Stole the show, really, with his great drumming and crazy antics. Good setlist too.

To Van Squalen's point, I had a chance to say a few words to the greatest football player of all time (Herschel Walker) when we were in a restaurant together. He was in his prime as it was during the Pro Bowl festivities in Waikiki. Anyway, I couldn't do it. The guy was just there to eat - I didn't want to make it about me somehow. Now, at a sanctioned Pro Bowl event? I'd scream for his attention like a little girl.

Last Online

08.22.19 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 158 Times in 87 Posts

I don't think I would make a blanket statement like this.

There's a large percentage of "fans" that won't accept anything that doesn't sound like what they think Van Halen should sound like.

Look at the maligning of III, the 3 BOBW songs, and ADKOT here for the evidence.

I'm not saying that someone has to like everything that EVH puts out. But there's a difference between not liking something and calling it "trash, shit, garbage," etc.

I can only imagine that a musician of Ed's caliber is not interested in writing the same kind of material he was when he was 22. So why bother releasing something when a good portion of the "fans" are going to bitch and complain about it because it doesn't sound the way they want it to?
    Yeah, but what makes VH different than every other big ďlegacyĒ band who puts out a record? Nobodyís immune to that. There will be people who bitch regardless.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 04:35 PM
    Liked 2,002 Times in 760 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Yeah, but what makes VH different than every other big ďlegacyĒ band who puts out a record? Nobodyís immune to that. There will be people who bitch regardless.
    Yup.

Eddie is very insecure. Always has been. Explains his drinking and drug use. Also explains the breakups.

The lack of new music traces right back to the insecurity too.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 823 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    They're done and they know it.
    Sadly I tend to believe this
    Why anyone in the rock world subject themselves to Dave's crazy nonsense
    He can't sing anymore and he looks like a clown...I say this and I am a Dave fan not a Sammy guy
    Dave's gone off the deep end
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Last Online

08.22.19 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 158 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Sadly I tend to believe this
    Why anyone in the rock world subject themselves to Dave's crazy nonsense
    He can't sing anymore and he looks like a clown...I say this and I am a Dave fan not a Sammy guy
    Dave's gone off the deep end
    I think people confuse the issue with Daveís singing. I think Dave is completely CAPABLE of singing the material and sounding decent. But itís like he gets too excited and starts screaming out of tune. Like heís trying too hard. Very strange.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to release material and tell people to fuck off if they don't like it which is a shame because I think he's a brilliant musician and would love to hear some of his "off the wall" stuff even if it didn't really sound like Van Halen.
    We're of the same mind.

Hell, I would even love to hear a few snippets of EVH on the cello. The depth of the man's creative process never ceases to amaze. Sadly, however, the people that have access to EVH, likely see him as being more a retired celebrity, than they do a creative genius.

Absolutely. And the fans that justify that by claiming itís the price of fame are simply trying to rationalize their often unrealistic expectations or behavior.

To wit. Iíve met, in some capacity, 3 of the 5 members of VH. One day coming across one of those guys, was in a space entirely inappropriate for me to even acknowledge who he was, much less ask for a selfie. The other times, with the other two, it was appropriate because it was sanctioned by the guys themselves, both in personal situations or professional backstage ones. The two I havenít met, Iíve seen separately in a number of domestic settings at least a dozen times over the last 30 years because we apparently congregate in some of the same places in SoCal. Of course the fan part of me wouldíve loved to talk to them. But thereís no fuckiní way Iím gonna approach them and bother them in a personal life setting, be it a restaurant or a shop or a beach or whatever. It doesnít matter if itís a once in a lifetime opportunity, them being a respected celebrity doesnít entitle me to presume familiarity with them simply because I Ďthinkí I know them enough because Iíve followed and enjoyed their careers for so long.

Itís really just a matter of decorum. Something most people ignore when it comes to celebrity. Sensationalism again.
    I admire the degree to which you exhibited a measure of self control. I could only hope that, being in your position, I would do the same .

This reminds me of a call that Howard Stern had placed to EVH in 2005-06? During the course of the call, EVH said that he was working on a little diddy: "Death by Hollywood; (they made him) a little too great for his own good"

The guy has a mountain of money that he can't spend; he can buy anything, except anonymity. I can't say that I envy him.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 823 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    I think people confuse the issue with Dave’s singing. I think Dave is completely CAPABLE of singing the material and sounding decent. But it’s like he gets too excited and starts screaming out of tune. Like he’s trying too hard. Very strange.
    He's lost it
    If he truly could--he would
    I can only imagine Eddie has had enough of being on stage with a techno pop idiot barking like a scalded dog next to him...
    Supposedly it was Wolf that got Ed to work with Dave again...
    Why in the hell would that lard ass wanna go thru that again---money is not the driving force here
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Last Online

Donor

I admire the degree to which you exhibited a measure of self control. I could only hope that, being in your position, I would do the same .

This reminds me of a call that Howard Stern had placed to EVH in 2005-06? During the course of the call, EVH said that he was working on a little diddy: "Death by Hollywood; (they made him) a little too great for his own good"

The guy has a mountain of money that he can't spend; he can buy anything, except anonymity. I can't say that I envy him.
    Maybe I'm accustomed to it. I see, and have encountered, famous people a fair amount. Most of Hollywood types live within a 100 mile radius. But if there's one guy I'd love to shoot the shit with, maybe get a photo, it's Eddie. I've never been easy to starstruck, I've met plenty of musicians and actors. I guess he'd be the one that has the best chance of fanboying me. What can I say. The dude soundtracked my life.