Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 200

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Romeo Delight GlennyVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.23.15
    Age
    43
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    44
    Favorite VH Song

    Without You
    Last Online

    09.17.19 @ 11:02 AM
    Likes
    16
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Default Are Ed & Alex hermits?

    I see Sammy, Mike, DLR, these guys are out and about, doing interviews, making music.

    What exactly is the issue with the 2 brothers? It seems they rarely do interviews, they arenít making music at least releasing anything. There has been one crap storm after another with members not in the band & yet they hide.

    Is it safe to assume that Ed & Alex really only care about Ed and Alex & couldnít give a fart about anyone else...?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    40
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    17,272
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,488
    Liked 8,484 Times in 4,306 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Yes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  4. #3
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.12.01
    Age
    61
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    13,285
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    03.30.20 @ 04:17 AM
    Likes
    8,390
    Liked 4,335 Times in 2,653 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Does a bear shit in the woods?
    Yes

    Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #4
    Good Enough Pacfanweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.04.02
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    2,355
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Space
    Last Online

    03.29.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Likes
    111
    Liked 984 Times in 520 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    They have money and they don't have to do anything if they don't want to, and apparently...they don't want to.

    Sam and Mike have money and don't have to do anything if they don't want to (especially Sam)....but apparently, they want to.

    About that simple, I think.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V


  7. #5
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    29,402
    Last Online

    03.29.20 @ 11:27 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 4,655 Times in 2,988 Posts


    Donor

    Default


  8. #6
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    15,198
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    03.29.20 @ 09:00 PM
    Likes
    9,198
    Liked 13,731 Times in 7,507 Posts

    Default

    My feeling is they only care about family.
    Seems like they have a tight knit circle, but it revolves around family, spouses,
    kids, and pets.

    I think EVH, especially, is in a very comfortable place, which is why he keeps putting
    off any VH activity.

    To him, we represent a Dental appointment:

    Gotta get it over with at some point.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:


  10. #7
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15,452
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    03.30.20 @ 04:32 AM
    Likes
    51,901
    Liked 14,845 Times in 8,094 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    My feeling is they only care about family.
    Seems like they have a tight knit circle, but it revolves around family, spouses,
    kids, and pets.

    I think EVH, especially, is in a very comfortable place, which is why he keeps putting
    off any VH activity.

    To him, we represent a Dental appointment:

    Gotta get it over with at some point.
    Nothing wrong with family first.

    I do miss the old Ed and Al who just LOVED playing because that's what they were born to do. But I'm not in my 60s and rich beyond what is needed, so my frame of reference, like most of us here, is going to be completely different from their reality. If they want to just kick back and enjoy the quiet life with their family, who's to say that is a bad thing?

  11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:


  12. #8
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    40
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    17,272
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,488
    Liked 8,484 Times in 4,306 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I donít think they trust people. Since Eddie got sober he doesnít seem like he is as trusting as he once was. Too many people have burned him in his eyes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #9
    Eruption NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    760
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Likes
    1,224
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennyVH View Post
    I see Sammy, Mike, DLR, these guys are out and about, doing interviews, making music.

    What exactly is the issue with the 2 brothers? It seems they rarely do interviews, they arenít making music at least releasing anything. There has been one crap storm after another with members not in the band & yet they hide.

    Is it safe to assume that Ed & Alex really only care about Ed and Alex & couldnít give a fart about anyone else...?
    I see it as a somewhat demented situation.

    Here's why:

    Google "Van Halen" on a daily basis, and you're sure to come up with a blurb - even if it's literally nothing. For whatever reason, EVH gets a lot more print coverage than is deserved. I am not being a dick; he hasn't written anything new in how long? He isn't touring. Even Eddie Trunk can't float a fresh new Van Halen rumor. Why write current articles about someone who's disengaged from the music business?

    And that my point:

    Various sources come up with contrived crap, on an almost daily basis. Totally contrived. Total garbage.

    I can only imagine what kind of coverage EVH would get, if he were spotted at a movie. Or out to dinner. Or out shopping. Or out at Disneyworld.

    Somewhere.

    Yet there absolutely nothing to cover - over a period that spans years - which means that he probably does little outside of his home.

    ***

    Recently, I got into Joe Bonamassa's work, which I find interesting. Obviously I like EVH's work better, but what struck me about Bonamassa, is the degree of dedication that the guy has to his craft. He regularly puts himself out there; he offers a free sample download of his work; he has a foundation dedicated to "keeping (the) blues music alive." The love that the guy has of music is well evident in how he treats his craft.

    I bet lots of guitarists would love to be in EVH's position, not only for the notoriety and respect that it brings, but because that level of respect can see that goals are set and accomplished in the public sphere.

    It was great being recently introduced to Bonamassa. Again...I think a lot of him for seeking to educate, and perpetuate, that which he claims to love. I only wish that everyone followed his example.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

    "I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

  14. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  15. #10
    Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.18.09
    Age
    47
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,237
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    03.30.20 @ 04:42 AM
    Likes
    2,362
    Liked 2,076 Times in 1,116 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post

    It was great being recently introduced to Bonamassa. Again...I think a lot of him for seeking to educate, and perpetuate, that which he claims to love. I only wish that everyone followed his example.
    To be fair, John is 42 years old. Eddie was 42 in 1997 and still out there and very active....not much longer after that though.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

    "So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

  16. #11
    Atomic Punk Nostalgia Act's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    9,580
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    03.30.20 @ 04:22 AM
    Likes
    4
    Liked 2,631 Times in 1,450 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    My crystal ball says residency.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  18. #12
    Romeo Delight GlennyVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.23.15
    Age
    43
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    44
    Favorite VH Song

    Without You
    Last Online

    09.17.19 @ 11:02 AM
    Likes
    16
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    If they are hanging things up at least I had a chance to see them a couple of times during their last 2 stops in Toronto

  19. #13
    Eruption NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    760
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    03.25.20 @ 05:56 PM
    Likes
    1,224
    Liked 384 Times in 221 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    To be fair, John is 42 years old. Eddie was 42 in 1997 and still out there and very active....not much longer after that though.
    That's true, but there are different ways in which to express a love of your craft.

    ***

    I am almost hesitant to go further with this reply, lest I be accused of thinking that EVH "owes me something."

    I am kinda tired of hearing that pat response, since there isn't a person on this board who feels that EVH owes anyone anything.

    I also know that the guys have worked hard; that they have earned their retirement, and to this sentiment I wholly agree.

    I am also sure that someone might come up with: "just because EVH doesn't proceed in the way that you think that he should, doesn't mean that he's wrong and you're right." This too, is true.

    Now that we've gotten all of that out of the way , here are a few examples that bring joy to the viewer's heart, along with the education and inspiration that's necessary to perpetuate music in younger generations:





    It'd be cool if we saw this from EVH. He doesn't "owe" us this; he doesn't "have" to do this, etc., but it'd sure be cool to see. Why? Because he's a very likeable guy who's so good at what he does .
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

    "I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

  20. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  21. #14
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15,452
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    03.30.20 @ 04:32 AM
    Likes
    51,901
    Liked 14,845 Times in 8,094 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    That's true, but there are different ways in which to express a love of your craft.

    ***

    I am almost hesitant to go further with this reply, lest I be accused of thinking that EVH "owes me something."

    I am kinda tired of hearing that pat response, since there isn't a person on this board who feels that EVH owes anyone anything.

    I also know that the guys have worked hard; that they have earned their retirement, and to this sentiment I wholly agree.

    I am also sure that someone might come up with: "just because EVH doesn't proceed in the way that you think that he should, doesn't mean that he's wrong and you're right." This too, is true.

    Now that we've gotten all of that out of the way , here are a few examples that bring joy to the viewer's heart, along with the education and inspiration that's necessary to perpetuate music in younger generations:





    It'd be cool if we saw this from EVH. He doesn't "owe" us this; he doesn't "have" to do this, etc., but it'd sure be cool to see. Why? Because he's a very likeable guy who's so good at what he does .
    Well, Ed puts out a lot of gear that brings a lot of joy to many guitarists. He's always been a tinkerer.

  22. #15
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.03
    Age
    36
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    10,279
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    03.27.20 @ 11:59 AM
    Likes
    1,399
    Liked 4,004 Times in 1,984 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The only thing VH owes me is when they sell a concert ticket or an album. I expect to get a concert and a CD in that jewel case for my money, but that's the end of the transaction. If I like it I'll come back for more, which I have to date. Them not being engaged with fans during their down times (and the frequency of those down times) only hurts their own lifestyle as they can't charge as much the next time when an entire generation of people has forgotten their importance.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  23. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Alex`kit
    By AVH5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08.02.15, 10:16 AM
  2. Alex is GOD!
    By SuckaInA3Piece in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06.20.10, 06:53 PM
  3. Why Alex
    By hot_4_teacher in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07.25.06, 02:22 PM
  4. Alex at his best
    By Betty Boop in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01.10.02, 07:21 PM
  5. Alex
    By evh72450 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01.14.01, 01:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •