Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was brought up a little on the other thread, but I didn't want to clog up the question with non-listening stuff...

I went to Sam Goody's in downtown San Diego this morning to pick up the Fair Warning re-master. I was pretty excited about going in the "first morning" they are available.

The store was huge. Keep in mind, I haven't been in a "real" record store in 4 years. Took me awhile to find Van Halen.

When I found their little spot, I was quite disappointed. I know others have mentioned that there were no posters hanging for publicity, etc., but their tiny spot was pathetic. This is what I found:

Re-Masters: 1 each of VH, VHII, WACF, FW, DD, and 2 of 1984. All non re-masters were gone.

There was 1 Best Of Volume I; 2 Sammy-era (sorry, I don't remember which ones);1 VHIII;
    about 3 Van Halen tribute CDs, and 1 live radio interview.

So what does that make?...11 VH CD's in the whole friggin' store? Like I said before, the store was huge.

What about everyone else? Same thing?

I guess VH really is non-existent to the current CD buyers...ourselves excluded.

I wonder how many copies of each CD were shipped to each store. Isn't there someone here that works for Warner Bros? If so, do you happen to know?

I just can't believe that there is zero publicity on this...even if there isn't going to be a reunion.

I don't understand why WB would go through the trouble to re-master if they don't care about selling them. Instead of re-mastering, why not keep the old ones in stock until they sell?

Oh well, guess you can tell I'm disappointed.

But, I did get FW and it sounds great.

Another couple things while I'm at it...

I paid $14.99 for FW. Has anyone else paid this much? Think I'll check out Columbia House for the others...

It's nice to see the original artwork...but I tell you, nothing beats the ALBUMS (except maybe the sound ) Seeing everything shrunk down to CD-size isn't quite the same.

Also, Glenn (I think) mentioned about some Motley Crue re-mastered CDs previously...was there any publicity for those releases?

Guess that's all for now...

------------------
    "My belligerent enthusiasm is as optimistic as ever" - DLR

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

As I said previously, I never ask for help in a record store. What I'm looking for is either on the shelf, or I leave. Just one of my (many) quirks.

Anyway, the first store I went to was a place called Future Shop. They sell all manner of appliances, stereos, TV's and have a decent CD section. Today, they still had the old CD's, but not the remastered ones. Of course, I was in there just as they opened, but still I expected the remasters to be there.

The second store I went to was HMV in West Edmonton Mall. This is probably the biggest record store in Edmonton, two floors. Again, this isn't long after they opened and they only had VH 1 remastered there.

So I go down the mall to Music World. Rarely as good a selection as HMV, but the prices are usually better. They didn't have any of the remasters on the shelf.

So I get back in the car and drive about 15 minutes to A & B Sound, which sells stereos, TV's, computers, and has a good record section. They had all the remasters, but only one of each out on the shelf. I bought them all, so if they didn't re-stock right away, there were none out on the shelf after I left. Obviously they weren't expecting any kind of crowd for these remasters.

So I got them all, 13.99 each, plus 7% tax, so $89.82 in total. God bless VISA.

I came away with the undeniable feeling that it's a very small group of us that gives a rat's ass about Van Halen. All of these stores gave me the impression that they didn't care about these remasters, and weren't really expecting to sell very many of them.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hardknockz is giving away the remasters all for a little contest

roth on meat sticks

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kat:
    Also, Glenn (I think) mentioned about some Motley Crue re-mastered CDs previously...was there any publicity for those releases?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somewhat. I saw a few promo posters in K-Mart. It took me 2 stores to get them all, but Best Buy had a decent supply.

------------------
    "The thing that inspires me the most is my bottle of Jack Daniels. It's my best friend in the world. Ol' Jack will never let you down. He's always there when you need him" - Nikki Sixx, Hit Parader magazine 1986

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6.30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Glen are you from the great white north?
    I know thats the only place i've seen the future shop!
    The reason the stores dont have any posters, is because these HDCD's are just replacements for the old ones! They are not new recordings, and alot of stores din not replace the CD's they sold because they were waiting for the remasters to come out! The Best Buy by my house had a shit load of =VH= untill about two weeks ago, and didn't have the remasters yet! It will all be ok every one is getting alittle to worked up over nothing!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF5150:
    Hey Glen are you from the great white north?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Glenn over here in Quebec i only found three remasters and they were selling for$17.98 each.

------------------
    DLR at the Us Festival: "We came here tonight to celebrate. Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll!" Sammy Hagar at Monsters of Rock: "Are you Red Rockers ready to get crazy and do the Cabo Wabo?!!"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's cool I live out side of Dertoit, and go to Ontario alot!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PHOENIX:
    Hey Glenn over here in Quebec i only found three remasters and they were selling for$17.98 each.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And you have to pay provincial sales tax as well, right?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yah! I paid 12.99 each!

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

I traded in some CD's that I had for some store credit. Each CD was selling for $9.99 with my club card so I bought all six. First listened to Fair Warning and it sounds 100% better. You can really hear Mikey's bass kick now. Also, 100% improvement on Diver Down. Very crisp. I have not got to listen to all the CD's yet. I am sure they all are improved. Now we just sit and wait for the new release in 2001 with Diamond Dave on vocals. We hope.

------------------
    Al and I are the real Van Halen. There could always be Van Halen as long as it's me and Al. But if there was no Dave, this place would be pretty empty tonight. - EVH during a 1984 pre-concert interview before that night's sold out show

And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be. - David Lee Roth

When classic Van Halen is together it's like one person. When I say 'I' in this respect, I mean my whole cadre that I am part of. I'm the tear boss, and I'm a fuckin' lifer. - David Lee Roth

"In America, we believe big time in publicizing the shit out of 'we ain't talkin'.' First we make goddamn sure that everybody knows we ain't saying anything..." - David Lee Roth

[This message has been edited by AJW (edited September 19, 2000 at 06:28 PM).]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep but i didn't buy them.I'm 10 minutes from Montreal so i'll be checking out the Hmv there come pay day.Has anyone else come across ridiculous prices?

------------------
    DLR at the Us Festival: "We came here tonight to celebrate. Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll!" Sammy Hagar at Monsters of Rock: "Are you Red Rockers ready to get crazy and do the Cabo Wabo?!!"

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PHOENIX:
    Has anyone else come across ridiculous prices?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Like I said, I got them for 13.99 each at AB Sound. The one they had at HMV was 17.99, so I guess it's better that they didn't have them there. Saved enough money to buy 5150 if they decide to remaster it.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just walked into Best Buy, they had probably three of each cd. So, of course, I grabbed one of each. PLUS, A little fairy talked me into buying the VH1 24K Gold

Keep Rockin!

[This message has been edited by EDHEAD316 (edited September 19, 2000 at 06:42 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.12.16 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

I'm wondering if it's at all unusual for a record company to release a remastered catalog with Z E R O promotion.

It seems like the only people that even knew about the remasters are the web-surfing die hard fans (US)! Is it that WB figures that only the die-hard fans will buy them anyway, so why spend money on promotion?

I still think it's interesting that they only did the Dave era albums. I would someday like to hear a remastered 5150 and OU812.

------------------
    "Big double-take but 'ya keep on walkin', I'm in love..."
    --DLR, So This Is Love

"That's the thing about self-improvement. Don't get me wrong, I plan to get some soon"
    --DLR, Can't Get This Stuff No More