1984/Jump v Seventh Seal - Page 12
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Save
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 291
  1. #166
    Hot For Teacher
    Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    47
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    10,148
    Posts Per Day
    1.52
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    6
    Thanks (Given)
    1702
    Thanks (Received)
    1898

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Are we sure the tension between Ed and Sam wasn’t there before Balance? When did the whole Cabo Wabo thing go down? I guess it was only fitting that Big Fat Money showed up on Balance.
    I meant tension in the recording studio, tension while writing songs. I don't think anything with Balance really went smooth in the studio and that was new for the Hagar era of the band. I don't think it was a good thing, maybe in time if Sam and Ed learned to work together like that it would have gotten better but I think a lot of the cool stuff they did on 5150, 812 and FUCK were because Ed and Sam got along well enough to pull somethings off that wouldn't have worked otherwise.

    I'm not saying this as a bad thing but I think by the time FW rolled around Dave and Ed were used to working with each other with a certain level of tension, they made it work. The energy was very different on Balance and I think it was because neither Sam or Ed really knew what they wanted with a few things, they didn't know how to get through that stuff so some things got pushed out where earlier I think they would have worked through it.

  2. VH1986 thanked for this post.
  3. #167
    Hot For Teacher
    Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    47
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    10,148
    Posts Per Day
    1.52
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    6
    Thanks (Given)
    1702
    Thanks (Received)
    1898

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    to me a song like Feelin' really works, it sounds forced to me. it's dark for the sake of it being dark. I love the solo section, I wish they'd structured a song out of the riff Ed plays leading into that solo, it sounds very bad ass but the rest of it is forced. I don't think that's how the Hagar era of the band worked best.

  4. #168
    Mean Street
    I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    45,399
    Posts Per Day
    6.37
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    349
    Likes (Received)
    225
    Thanks (Given)
    21678
    Thanks (Received)
    25222


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!300,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I meant tension in the recording studio, tension while writing songs. I don't think anything with Balance really went smooth in the studio and that was new for the Hagar era of the band. I don't think it was a good thing, maybe in time if Sam and Ed learned to work together like that it would have gotten better but I think a lot of the cool stuff they did on 5150, 812 and FUCK were because Ed and Sam got along well enough to pull somethings off that wouldn't have worked otherwise.

    I'm not saying this as a bad thing but I think by the time FW rolled around Dave and Ed were used to working with each other with a certain level of tension, they made it work. The energy was very different on Balance and I think it was because neither Sam or Ed really knew what they wanted with a few things, they didn't know how to get through that stuff so some things got pushed out where earlier I think they would have worked through it.
    Gotcha. Weren’t there stories of Sammy not getting along with Andy Johns during the recording sessions of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? There were 3 years between the releases of OU812 and F.U.C.K.

  5. #169
    Hot For Teacher
    Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    11,377
    Posts Per Day
    1.52
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    06.30.20 @ 10:08 PM
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Thanks (Given)
    2792
    Thanks (Received)
    2297

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    "Balance" could've been better, song-wise. It's still a good record, though. I think it's impossible to compare young eddie to middle-age eddie. The guy changed too much, he was like a different person.
    Little Dreamer

  6. japeape thanked for this post.
  7. #170
    Hang 'Em High
    atomicpunk5151's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.04
    Location
    NOR-CAL
    Posts
    15,785
    Posts Per Day
    2.68
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 03:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    8
    Thanks (Given)
    2797
    Thanks (Received)
    3051

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Gotcha. Weren’t there stories of Sammy not getting along with Andy Johns during the recording sessions of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? There were 3 years between the releases of OU812 and F.U.C.K.
    Yeah, they had to bring Ted T in to record the vocals.

    Ed from Guitar World - EVH: I'd say that we actually had problems on every album except for 5150. Sammy wouldn't even work with (producer) Andy Johns on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge; he demanded to work with Ted Templeman, because Ted lets him get away with everything.
    Last edited by atomicpunk5151; 08.13.19 at 08:36 AM.

  8. Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
  9. #171
    I'm The One
    BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.18.09
    Age
    47
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,445
    Posts Per Day
    0.85
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    67
    Likes (Received)
    50
    Thanks (Given)
    2376
    Thanks (Received)
    2023


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post

    he demanded to work with Ted Templeman, because Ted lets him get away with everything.
    I'm not a fan of the dark and cynical Ed but this sounds totally plausible to me.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

    "So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

  10. #172
    Eruption
    halensfi's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.03.12
    Age
    48
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    260
    Posts Per Day
    0.08
    Favorite VH Album

    all of the dave era
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    03.12.20 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    40
    Thanks (Received)
    87

    Default

    Cabo Wabo was early/spring 1990. I remember the weekend special on MTV. Ed looked real pudgy.

  11. #173
    Hot For Teacher
    Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    11,377
    Posts Per Day
    1.52
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    06.30.20 @ 10:08 PM
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Thanks (Given)
    2792
    Thanks (Received)
    2297

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    I'm not a fan of the dark and cynical Ed but this sounds totally plausible to me.
    Ted Templeman production credits: Montrose, Doobies, 6 pack, FUCK
    EVH production credits: Private Life, VHIII (partially)

    Pretty clear who is a legendary producer and who is not.
    Little Dreamer

  12. japeape, Simon Ribeiro, Bad to the Bone thanked for this post.
  13. #174
    Forum Frontman
    It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    44,936
    Posts Per Day
    8.62
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    148
    Thanks (Given)
    2505
    Thanks (Received)
    12631

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Ted Templeman production credits: Montrose, Doobies, 6 pack, FUCK
    EVH production credits: Private Life, VHIII (partially)

    Pretty clear who is a legendary producer and who is not.
    He also produced the BulletBoys and said their singer was the best he'd ever worked with.

  14. Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
  15. #175
    Mean Street
    I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    45,399
    Posts Per Day
    6.37
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    349
    Likes (Received)
    225
    Thanks (Given)
    21678
    Thanks (Received)
    25222


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!300,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halensfi View Post
    Cabo Wabo was early/spring 1990. I remember the weekend special on MTV. Ed looked real pudgy.
    I seem to recall stories that the bloom was already coming off the rose after OU812.

  16. #176
    Hang 'Em High
    japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    16,466
    Posts Per Day
    8.34
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    82
    Thanks (Given)
    8553
    Thanks (Received)
    13417

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    I'm gonna be about as popular as Jeff Epstein on here for saying this, but the Bulletboys
    were not that bad.

    Their second album was pretty badass: THC Groove, Say your prayers, Ripping me.

    Marq could sing his ass off.
    He sounds almost black, has that Glenn Hughes thing happening.

    Listen to the vocals on this thing.

    Oddly, the production was shit on both albums, with a barely there, buzzing guitar
    tone.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  17. Simon Ribeiro, VH1986 thanked for this post.
  18. #177
    Mean Street
    I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    45,399
    Posts Per Day
    6.37
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    349
    Likes (Received)
    225
    Thanks (Given)
    21678
    Thanks (Received)
    25222


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!300,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    He also produced the BulletBoys and said their singer was the best he'd ever worked with.
    Maybe Ted and Sammy were classmates at Hyperbole University.

  19. It's Mike thanked for this post.
  20. #178
    Forum Frontman
    It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    44,936
    Posts Per Day
    8.62
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    148
    Thanks (Given)
    2505
    Thanks (Received)
    12631

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I'm gonna be about as popular as Jeff Epstein on here for saying this, but the Bulletboys
    were not that bad.

    Their second album was pretty badass: THC Groove, Say your prayers, Ripping me.

    Marq could sing his ass off.
    He sounds almost black, has that Glenn Hughes thing happening.

    Listen to the vocals on this thing.

    Oddly, the production was shit on both albums, with a barely there, buzzing guitar
    tone.
    i had that album, it was alright.

  21. #179
    Hang 'Em High
    japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    16,466
    Posts Per Day
    8.34
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    82
    Thanks (Given)
    8553
    Thanks (Received)
    13417

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i had that album, it was alright.
    I get what you're saying: Stupid name, they looked dumb, etc.

    BUT....

    They had some pretty "in your face" riffs & tunes on that second record.
    It's almost sloppy in parts, which i kinda appreciate.

    And i know the singer is a dick, but Jesus Christ, he had a pretty powerful set of pipes.
    That guy was singing his ass off, almost to the point of overkill.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  22. #180
    Top Of The World
    DFVH5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,725
    Posts Per Day
    0.79
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    43
    Thanks (Given)
    3549
    Thanks (Received)
    1392


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    I never gave Bulletboys a chance. Love "Smooth Up in Ya" but when I heard their cover of "For the Love of Money" and a song called "Hard as a Rock" they lost me. And I love hair metal.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

    Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Seventh Seal
    By F'nRockstar in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11.09.06, 07:25 PM
  2. Seventh Seal advice
    By stratogibson in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09.17.01, 07:00 AM
  3. "The Seventh Seal"
    By Doucet in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02.16.01, 07:50 PM
  4. Poundcake and Seventh Seal
    By Ed6150 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07.30.00, 10:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •