Save
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 263 Times in 177 Posts

Dave gets an A for persistence and hard work early on, but he had nothing before Van Halen and not a whole lot afterward. If Ed and Al had stuck with their initial "No" to Dave joining the band, then we likely would have never heard of Dave.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 1,582 Times in 1,067 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    Dave gets an A for persistence and hard work early on, but he had nothing before Van Halen and not a whole lot afterward. If Ed and Al had stuck with their initial "No" to Dave joining the band, then we likely would have never heard of Dave.
    Dave was very hard working and a catalyst for the band making it. He knew Eddie was something special so he latched on as he freely admits.

But without Ed would Dave ever made it?

Not a chance.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 11,476 Times in 6,422 Posts

this might be dumbest take I've ever heard. He had nothing before VH? Neither did Ed and Al and Mike. If not for Dave then we likely would have never heard of them either.

Sammy was given one of the greatest bands in the world and ran with it (and did an amazing job, I love that version of the band). Dave joined a bar band and helped turn them into one of the greatest bands in the world. B is the more impressive thing. What's next? Are you gonna tell us Adam Lambert is the strongest link in Queen?

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 02:55 PM
    Liked 319 Times in 186 Posts

Premium Member

Fair point. That said, without the opportunity from an established musician in Ronnie Montrose, Sammy may have missed his shot as well.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Roth fans will say Ed & Al wouldn’t have made it without Roth.

I don’t think that’s true as Warner Brothers wanted to replace Dave early on.

VH would’ve been different but Eddie was going to make it regardless of who was singing.

He’s one of a kind.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 263 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    this might be dumbest take I've ever heard. He had nothing before VH? Neither did Ed and Al and Mike. If not for Dave then we likely would have never heard of them either.

Sammy was given one of the greatest bands in the world and ran with it (and did an amazing job, I love that version of the band). Dave joined a bar band and helped turn them into one of the greatest bands in the world. B is the more impressive thing. What's next? Are you gonna tell us Adam Lambert is the strongest link in Queen?
    Okay smart guy.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 18,053 Times in 10,260 Posts

Premium Member

You're making it sound like David joined VH when they were one of the biggest bands in the world as opposed to him being a driving force to them becoming that.
    They have a NEED to live in that fantasy world.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

He probably will.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 13,686 Times in 7,433 Posts

Premium Member

Van Halen made and saved Dave. Sammy was self-made and he saved Van Halen after Dave's departure. Sammy Hagar is the reason the the VH brothers started making any money at all. When Sammy left Van Halen, his career continued to have success and he successfully branded himself through various ventures. His most recent tour with The Circle has been wildly successful. So, Sammy Hagar may actually be the strongest link Van Halen ever had.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 08:05 PM
    Liked 1,006 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    LOL.

Sammy had a career before VH. VH covered him in the clubs and VH called him and asked him to join the band. But yeah he would’ve just disappeared. SMH

There’s only one VH singer whose entire career depends on VH.
    ...using that same logic, the same applies to the drummer & bass player(s).

Splitting hair semantics.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

09.21.19 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 2,305 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    They have a NEED to live in that fantasy world.
    I don't know who they are.

Sam, as I said earlier was trending up in 84/85. I don't think this means anything other than that in regards to how big Sam would have been without VH. He probably would have put out a few decent albums, would have struggled in the 90's (like every other hard rock band from the 80's did with the exception of VH, Aerosmith and Metallica).

Dave was great in VH cause he really worked at it. You can't take that away from him no matter who you prefer.

I never liked the whole hypothetical situation where VH switched singers once WB got a hold of them.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I don't know who they are.

Sam, as I said earlier was trending up in 84/85. I don't think this means anything other than that in regards to how big Sam would have been without VH. He probably would have put out a few decent albums, would have struggled in the 90's (like every other hard rock band from the 80's did with the exception of VH, Aerosmith and Metallica).

Dave was great in VH cause he really worked at it. You can't take that away from him no matter who you prefer.

I never liked the whole hypothetical situation where VH switched singers once WB got a hold of them.
    In this case, “they” are the two that are currently pushing their fantasy as reality.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

The people living in fantasyland are the ones who pretend Hagar was a nobody until VH called him.

If he was a nobody he doesn’t get that call from Eddie.

They like to pretend Big Bird could have pulled it off and that he was lucky as anyone could have replaced Dave as VH were that popular.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

09.20.19 @ 04:40 PM
    Liked 1,891 Times in 802 Posts

Yeah, dude - not trying to get into a big argument, but that statement doesn't really hold water if I'm reading it correctly. Take a look at Van Halen Rising (book).

They were all like 20 years old. That's like saying John Bongiovi had nothing before Bon Jovi. Ozzy had nothing before Black Sabbath. Plant had nothing before Zeppelin. I mean unless you were a Leif Garrett or David Cassidy type guy, who had a big career as a teenager back then? I mean they were all young kids trying to make it. Dave was in Red Ball Jet humping every week just like the VH's were. Dave also had a pretty decent solo career 86-90. He did run out of steam post "ALAE" album in my opinion.

Peace
    ~E
    Last edited by EJC; 08.02.19 at 06:20 AM.

24. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 10:29 AM
    Liked 2,559 Times in 1,220 Posts

Premium Member

So now we're comparing Red Ball Jet to The Broken Combs?

26. The Following Member Likes This Post: